A place to stay for affordability but in a safe place in SP

hello. if anyone can advise on a place to stay for few weeks in sao paulo preferrably near the airport, it would be much appreciated. I am going there to meet with some immigration lawyers. also, it was brought to my attention that even though I stayed in brazil 161 out of 365 days, one of the lawyer told me that I would not be granted entry because it was my choice that I didn't stay the full 180 days when I extended my visa. I first entered brazil October 12th, 2022 and left on March 22nd, 2023..So I would think I still have 19 days left to visit the country without being an issue. This doesn't make sense based on what I read in the forums. Could anyone advise who is right? Thank you again!

Hello Kris Kim,

Welcome to Expat.com1f601.svg

Your thread is now on the Sao Paulo forum.

I am sure it won't take you long to get feedback here, as the members here are quite active. 1f603.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

05/15/23  hello. if anyone can advise on a place to stay for few weeks in sao paulo preferrably near the airport, it would be much appreciated. I am going there to meet with some immigration lawyers. also, it was brought to my attention that even though I stayed in brazil 161 out of 365 days, one of the lawyer told me that I would not be granted entry because it was my choice that I didn't stay the full 180 days when I extended my visa. I first entered brazil October 12th, 2022 and left on March 22nd, 2023..So I would think I still have 19 days left to visit the country without being an issue. This doesn't make sense based on what I read in the forums. Could anyone advise who is right? Thank you again!
-@Kris Kim

Good morning!  Which airport?  The international airport, Guarulhos, is pretty remote; unless your meetings are in that area, you're probably better off staying closer to the center of the city.  The smaller, mostly domestic airport, Congonhas, is in the middle of the city and close to everything.

I find the most convenient, pleasant and cost-effective way to stay several weeks in a Brazilian city is to rent an AirB&B, and to get around town by Uber.  The Metro may also be an option, depending on where you stay, where your meetings are, and how comfortable you are with traveling that way.  With an apartment to yourself, you can buy and prepare your own food if you like.  Looking at the areas where you have meetings on Google Maps in one tab while you look for your AirB&B in another will let you find a place that's convenient.  Sticking with "Superhosts" is an assurance of quality and safety.

I can't contradict legal advice, but I don't understand your lawyer's reasoning, unless you had another stay prior to October 12, 2022 that used up some of your days.  A person traveling on a US passport can stay in Brazil for a maximum of 180 days in every rolling 365, and doesn't lose days by not using them.  Did the second lawyer agree?  It's true that the Immigration Officer could refuse you admission because your remaining time is only about two weeks, but there's no reason to assume that this would happen.

hello. if anyone can advise on a place to stay for few weeks in sao paulo preferrably near the airport, it would be much appreciated. I am going there to meet with some immigration lawyers. also, it was brought to my attention that even though I stayed in brazil 161 out of 365 days, one of the lawyer told me that I would not be granted entry because it was my choice that I didn't stay the full 180 days when I extended my visa. I first entered brazil October 12th, 2022 and left on March 22nd, 2023..So I would think I still have 19 days left to visit the country without being an issue. This doesn't make sense based on what I read in the forums. Could anyone advise who is right? Thank you again!
-@Kris Kim

I live about half-time in downtown SP. I was given the name of a professional facilitator in downtown SP who truly works miracles. It has been my experience in Brazil that attorneys are very specialized and most are not very good with immigration issues, (I am related to a couple by marriage). Personally, I would use a facilitator. You can speak with my facilitator by WhatsApp text, that's free. PM me about him if you are interested as we cannot advertise anything in this group.

Now then, Abthree is very correct, there is literally not much out by Guarulhos, GRU.  You should consider being in the city, and very close to transit.

-@Kris Kim

if you are to stay closer to the Airport, and need short stay it means...

The near East Side. 

Tatuape

Jardim Analia Franco

Agua Rasa

Vila Prudente

Forget Guarulhos.  The place is dull.

Most expats will go to central areas, if an extra R$ 20-30 to get to GRU Airport won't make any difference

In that case, you are adding...

Moema /Indianopolis - Place is full of short term rentals a.k.a. flats. These neigborhoods, by the Purple Line. are ajoined.

Around Avenida Paulista - Meaning upper Bela Vista, Consolacao, Paraiso, Cerqueira Cesar, Jardim Paulista. Those also feature a large concentration of flat apartments.   Along Rua Bela Cintra, Rua Frei Caneca, and Rua Augusta, there are a lot of short term rentals, with plenty new buildings, featuring studios.

Republica./ Vila Buarque. It used to have a Ticket storefront for the Airport Shuttle, now it is gone. And petty crime around increased since Covid  There's a couple buildings there that do a considerable amount of AirBnB buildings, both recently built.

Santo Amaro ( by Chacara Santo Antonio ) houses the US Consulate. around

@abthree thank you for your response. Yes GRU airport. I did look at airbnb upon suggestion. thank you for that. I can't believe how affordable it can be compared to hotels! going back to how long I can stay with my visa...one of the lawyer I talked to said this and to listen to her. LOL. but she asked me when my first EVER entry to brazil was. this is my timeline.

My first entry was April 5th, 2015. so she said that, the computer will start the one year from April 5th-April 4th so I came back to Brazil last year October 12th 2022 and left March 22nd 2023. I still had 17 days left for the year supposedly. Once April 5th came, she said my clock reset and that my 180 days was available to me to use from April 5th 2023 through April 4th 2024. if this is the case, this makes whole lot of sense and much easier to understand.

Is this to be true? She said I can check online how long I have left on some website but it required a CPF which I don't have yet.

@rraypo yes. I thank you for the person you have recommended me. I have reached out to him already :)

@sprealestatebroker I think I would like to stay near a federal police station so I can easily go there to drop off the documents. do you know what city that is so I can start looking for rentals by any chance? thank you so much for the suggestions!

05/15/23 @abthree thank you for your response. Yes GRU airport. I did look at airbnb upon suggestion. thank you for that. I can't believe how affordable it can be compared to hotels! going back to how long I can stay with my visa...one of the lawyer I talked to said this and to listen to her. LOL. but she asked me when my first EVER entry to brazil was. this is my timeline.
My first entry was April 5th, 2015. so she said that, the computer will start the one year from April 5th-April 4th so I came back to Brazil last year October 12th 2022 and left March 22nd 2023. I still had 17 days left for the year supposedly. Once April 5th came, she said my clock reset and that my 180 days was available to me to use from April 5th 2023 through April 4th 2024. if this is the case, this makes whole lot of sense and much easier to understand.

Is this to be true? She said I can check online how long I have left on some website but it required a CPF which I don't have yet.
-@Kris Kim

No, the system is significantly more sophisticated than that.

Each time you arrive in Brazil, it looks back at the 365 days immediately prior to THAT arrival day, and counts the days during those preceding 365 days that you were in Brazil,  If the total is less than 180, you have the remainder available to you. 

@abthree you have been informative about alot of things and I think you can also be right. but that would mean the lawyer I'm speaking with is wrong. lol. I guess we will find out when the time comes whether I will be able to stay in brazil for 180 days like she told me I can or if I have to pay overstay fines. hate doing anything illegal but this will be the guidance my lawyer advises. IDK...but will keep posted on this topic. Brazil government don't really make things easier for you huh? I just hear SO many stories of people giving wrong information left and right. The main reason why I am back in the United States in the first place. Was actually at the federal police in brasilia and the head of the department flatout said we don't do residency here and told us to go back to United States and to deal with the embassy. And all the lawyers we have talked to in brazil said, it can simply be done at the police federal and much speedier process. SMH

05/15/23 @Kris Kim. The Federal Police in every major city (and most minor ones where they have a presence, too) DO handle residency -- but not every Federal Police office does. You may have been at the wrong office in Brasília, but they still should have sent you to the right one, and not just told you to go away.

The Federal Police office in São Paulo that handles issues for foreigners is the the Lapa neighborhood; ask for the "Estrangeiros" office at their building there. I'm not sure that there's much benefit in being physically close to the office, but sprealestatebroker can tell you the safer areas in that part of town. Google Maps is your friend.

Brazil is a lot easier for people who plan ahead, get familiar with the rules early, manage their time well, arrive with all their documents in order, and have their Brazilian spouse right next to them every step of the way, especially when dealing with the government. Without all that, though, things can go pear-shaped pretty quickly, and be hard to recover.

05/15/23 @abthree thank you for your response. Yes GRU airport. I did look at airbnb upon suggestion. thank you for that. I can't believe how affordable it can be compared to hotels!
-@Kris Kim

Yeah, my husband and I travel a lot around Brazil, and we've stopped using hotels.  We've had only good experiences at AirB&Bs and stayed in really nice places that were also very reasonable.  Out of curiosity, I just checked the price of my own favorite São Paulo hotel, the Estanplaza Ibirapuera in Moema -- US$100/night.  No thanks -- I don't like them THAT much! 😂

BTW, if you end up anywhere near Moema, check out Bar Serafim at Avenida Jandira 574 -- best mandioca frita in Brazil, IMHO.

@sprealestatebroker I think I would like to stay near a federal police station so I can easily go there to drop off the documents. do you know what city that is so I can start looking for rentals by any chance? thank you so much for the suggestions!
-@Kris Kim

Most likely you will be sorting your affairs in this building..

Policia Federal

Rua Hugo D'Antola, 95 - Água Branca, São Paulo - SP, 05038-090

Telefone: (11) 3538-5000

Here's your lodging and rental, all rolled into one.  Save your time spent with  RE brokers ( I am one of them, be reminded  )or sleasy and greedy Air Bnb Operators. Place to go with photos. 

Midtown Pacaembú - Alameda Olga, 300 - Barra Funda, São Paulo - SP, 01155-040

Photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WndEtNXTH3ZbTqWp7

Booking Link  ( Hey Forum Adm knuckleheads, this is not a paid endorsement, ok ????? )

https://www.adagio-city.com/pt-br/hotel … RjEALw_wcB

It should go about USD 100/day probably less for anything longer than a week.

The building is a mix of residences ( 1/2BR ), an extended stay Hotel Brand ( Adagio by Accor ), and office suites.

The hotel is format studio, with a small kitchen, full bathroom, closet, safe .

Gymn included. The Swimming pool, I am almost sure it belongs to the residential section, they might have a separate one for hotel guests. 

I am pretty sure, the hotel front desk can actually arrange for a furnished apartment if you so desired, right within the building. They did not sell out all residential units, so the Developer often furnishes the unsold stock and puts out for rent, even as a, heavens forbid, AirBnB.

Going out for food.  Skip Barra Funda around the Transportation Terminal.  You are literally at a Transportation Terminal ( Subway Line, Rail, Local Buses, Coach out of town bus lines ), btw.

Your best bet is to stroll by Quaint Rua Tupy. Or Tupi. If you cut left, from the elevated parkway, up to Pacaembu, you either get your pick @ Rua Tupi, or you  lurk towards Left over either Alameda Barros, or Rua Baronesa de Itu. Go as far as you desire, you will have your pick of lunch counters, some of which operate at 24 hours.

You are on the cusp of Santa Cecilia, Pacaembu, and Higienopolis. Those are posh locations. Not uber filthy rich posh, more like Urban Quaint Posh.

Avoid fast food chains ( So please don't get caught eating at McDee ). Fancy dining is up to you.   Most Lunch counters, with table service, are affordable and quick to order. You can go to a well assorted buffet, a Rotisserie BBQ place, or, get frugally fed on the blue plate special.  That's the Menu ( reads cardapio ), the Comercial Executivo is often hearty and extremely affordable ( Beef, Pork, Chicken ) .

Pacaembu is actually old money suburban sprawl like neighborhood.  And Higienopolis ( along with Santa Cecilia ), are mid to upscale, once a Jewish Enclave.  So mostly, if you are strolling by Avenida Angelica ( watch for occasional cell phone snatchers out there ), or Avenida Higienopolis ( a real swanky mall there ), or Rua Sao Vicente de Paula, you are fine.  Any street that has a Brazilian Northeast City Capital or State, that's Higienopolis.  And if you are strong on your calves, you can actually climb the whole Angelica towards Avenida Paulista.

Your bubble cutoff is above Alameda Barros is you cut through the neighborhood.  You can move past Angelica towards Vila Buarque, and you would be into College Student domain.

Don't waste time with overpriced  Jardins and Avenida Paulista, and all of that crapola.  That's for chumps.

The Santa Casa Hospital by Rua Doutor Cesario de Mota is a worthy place for your leisure stroll.  You can enter the Campus. Very much turn of the Century Architecture.  Fantastic landscape.  Also you can visit the Mackenzie Presbyterian University Campus, non badged visitors, only by Rua da Consolacao gates, accross the Yellow Line Subway.  This is a elite university, ( an equivalent to Yale as far as politics go ). |It's safe, well guarded. 

A few more  can't misses for you, while you suffer through the bureaucracy at Policia Federal....

Parque da Agua Branca ( it is a short distance to what would be your hotel, granted if you book there ).

Avenida Francisco Matarazzo, 455 - Água Branca, São Paulo - SP, 05001-900

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parque_da … gua_Branca

For now it is free ( they want to actually give it away to some concessionary, the nerve of them ).

it's quiet, it's lush, people go there to take the kids, or read, or unwind. Or mediate.  There are some associations that meet there ( Organic growers, fish farmers, a Gregorian chorus occasionally rehearses there ).  All livestock roams free on the park's ground unfethered. An oasis in the city.  Every Saturday morning the. During gate hours, the place is full of custodians, and cleaning staff. There are a couple water ponds in it.  The Horse Stable is no longer available to the public,. Plenty Kioks abount.

And as a bonus, there are a couple malls. Shopping West Plaza and Shopping Bourbon, right along the same strip.   

And you can stretch on your foot a little further, past the Bourbon Mall, then  here's a pleasant surprise for you both.....

SESC Pompéia - Rua Clélia, 93 - Pompeia, São Paulo - SP, 05042-000

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fqbSh6aRLNGLyFXV6

It's a free admission place for sports and cultural events.  An  old converted mill. There are workshops, athletic facilities, scheduled ticket office shows, all kinds of artsy fartsy stuff.  Great for adults and kids.

Knock yourself dead.

And at a short ride, you may chance to score tickets for a pro soccer game.

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allianz_Parque

https://allianzparque.com.br/

https://www.palmeiras.com.br/allianz-parque/

Rod Stewart will be on Sept 30

It's is soccer season.

@sprealestatebroker wow! definitely appreciate all the information you have given me. this is very thorough explanation and I feel knowledge has passed down to me. lol. I thank you for the time you put in to share this when you didnt have to.

I still had some lingering afterthoughts on places to go, so here they are...

Around where you might stay, odds are you will find a by-the-day Farmer's Market, or Feira Livre. Even if you are not to shop for Fruits or Vegetables, or Fish/Poultry

you will chance to snack a traditional Paulistano Street Food, the deep fried Pastel and Freshly Squeezed Sugar Cane Juice.

That's your how to find a Feira Livre, and you can ask the Hotel Porter or Concierge about their closest location by the day ( they move around ).

https://www.prefeitura.sp.gov.br/cidade … p?p=294187

And by the way.  If you go to the Municipal Market. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipal … %A3o_Paulo

Don't get caught buying fruits at the main concourse. It's a Tourist Trap. if you want cheap fruit, then cross the market, at the back end by Rua Cantareira, you will find it a whole lot cheaper. There's a depot just at the right side, opposite side of the street.

A lot Americans go for the Mortandell Sandwich ( Baloney Sandwich ), which is generous and fine, but IMHO, overrated. My favorite there, albeit expensive, is the Dry Cod Pastel with tap beer.   Nonetheless, the place is worth a visit. It's a Beaux Arts building, erected at the turns of the XX Century, designed by Ramos de Azevedo, the same who conceived the City Theather ( Opera House ) by Ramos Plaza ( Praca Ramos ). It's an awe gawking structure you ought to see. 

Opposite to the Market, there is a huge parking lot over the small river, and there you will see a choice of Cereal and Nuts vendors who sell to the general public.

moving on...

Garment District ( Bom Retiro ),  OR WHY YOU SHOULD NOT SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED APPAREL DOLLARS ON MALLS.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d2EUMfgXD7tVTwtA8

You can access there through the Red, Yellow, and Blue ( Tiradentes Stop ). Blue is a bit farther, so head out to be dropped at Luz Station

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luz_Station

You want to make sure you get out from the proper side.  The signs in the Subway concourse need to send you towards Rua Jose Paulino. 

The opposite side, Rua Maua, is sketchy, so don't go there. 

Once you step out of the Rail/Subway, then you are facing a gated, yet open , Public Garden.   

At your right, opposite, it is an Art Museum, the Pinacoteca de São Paulo

https://pinacoteca.org.br/

I am not quite sure, but Saturday's General Admissions are Free. 

Not far from this Museum, there is the Sacred Art Museum, by Avenida Tiradentes,676. ( closed on Mondays)

http://museuartesacra.org.br/

if this is your thing, plan ahead to get it covered.

Not a stretch from the Museum of Sacred Art, you will find Bridal & Groom Street, that's Alameda Sao Caetano.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jiadj4VmoBU27oXj7

Now, back to the Rail Station ( Victorian, built by the British when they operated the Rail line ), there is a nice coffee shop within the Station, that you can stop by

on your way back to the Station. 

Now, using the Rail Station main entrance as reference,  facing the park, you are heading towards Left ( after negotiating your way  clear of sidewalk beggars ). You will end up on a split junction, just about 150 yards.  You want to head out through Rua Jose Paulino for window shopping. Or you can descend upon Rua Prates for your lunch break. There is plenty to have, including Korean Cuisine, and maybe, with some luck, some Kosher place.

Your Window Shopping should be plentifull ( and cheap by Brazilian and American Standards).  Saturdays are mayhem shopping day, you can barely negotiate the sidewalks. And so Friday Afternoons, all on Rua Jose Paulino. And always make sure that if you carry a backpack, do so in front of your chest!

Your choice of Streets for window shopping should be.... Rua Jose Paulino, Rua Aymore, Rua Professor Cesare Lombroso, and some streets that cross Rua

Jose Paulino. These strips feature door to door deep Apparel Stores for all tastes.  Some will be strict wholesale, some will work with retail customers. 

Anything for Conservative ( Moda Crente or Born Again Fashion ), to Party Wear, to every day fashion. 

There are streets for gowns,  fabrics, sewing trimmings, machinery & Parts.   All in the district.  It has seen store closures, specially since COVID, but still plenty left to see. 

Garment District ( Bom Retiro ) Vendor's Portal.

https://www.omelhordobomretiro.com.br

The secondary Garment District is on Bras,  it is less compact, and a little more chaotic. It's good for discount retail, no less deserving than Bom Retiro, but the real Fashion Culture is on Bom Retiro.

I really did enjoy my stay in Brooklyn sp area.

Seems a weird part of Brazil that people all carry phones in the open and a lulled sense of safety like Toronto Canada lol.

However it's far from affordable sadly. Like a three was saying most likely air B&B would be your best bet

Brooklin, is quiet, maybe a little too quiet.  But it is neat and clean. And if you are into Horseback riding, the Sociedade Hipica Paulista is right there.

The lower part, somewhere between Avenida Engenheiro Luis Carlos Berrini and the River by Avenida das Nacoes Unidas, which is mostly comprised of corporate buildings, is called Cidadoes Moncoes, yet a lot of locals will take by Brooklin.

Technically, Brooklin ( there's New Brooklin and Brooklin Paulista, which does not come up on the Postal Services Postal Codes as such ),  is a stretch below Avenida Santo Amaro way down a couple blocks above Avenida Engenheiro Luis Carlos Berrini

This corporate floor plate, with sweeping views allows you to get an idea of the neighborhood landscape.

The front views face the Pinheiros River ( Avenida das Nacoes Unidas ), whereas the rear views face Brooklin.

Edificio Centenário Plaza (Robocop)- Av. das Nações Unidas, 12995 - Cidade Monções, São Paulo SP 04571-170

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nMConBugomk3a8e29

(Hey, Form Administator, this is not a showcase, just using the building so they can capture the skyline views!!

IHMO, Brooklin might not be adequate to them, since they need to be around Policia Federal, by Lapa. No point in running R$ 50 cabfare each way when they can do it with R$ 25-25.

They should be well suited, Safety wise in accoodations around Lower Lapa ( not much anything good there for now ), Agua Branca, Barra Funda ( I would recommend Parque Industrial Thomas Edison, but the place has no curbside appeal for a stroll ), and maybe Perdizes, Santa Cecilia, Vila Romana, and Pacaembu. The last four  would be excellent permanent settlement options, btw.

Most expats or American visitors are oblivious to the Downtown to West, which is a shame. It ain't ghetto, it is rich in Sao Paulo's past industrial history, alongside with Mooca

My photos are meant for listing exploration, a mental remind to myself. Not Tourist Guide quality

The lower Agua Branca, close to Lower Lapa. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3FohA8jqtGDpaYuBA

The Agua Branca along Avenida Francisco Matarazzo ( the first 3 shots are on the Agua Branca Park  )

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t5n2ycEk7hYw3cR58

Since I mentioned Barra Funda

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hbK4WpDQsPVdPygM8

Yeah, my husband and I travel a lot around Brazil, and we've stopped using hotels. We've had only good experiences at AirB&Bs and stayed in really nice places that were also very reasonable. Out of curiosity, I just checked the price of my own favorite São Paulo hotel, the Estanplaza Ibirapuera in Moema -- US$100/night. No thanks -- I don't like them THAT much! 😂

BTW, if you end up anywhere near Moema, check out Bar Serafim at Avenida Jandira 574 -- best mandioca frita in Brazil, IMHO.
-@abthree

Moema is a nice hamlet, and it is flat, which facilitates the walk.  So curbside appeal wise, it is just fine.

The problem with Moema ( and for most part Indianapolis which often gets confused with Moema ), is twofold.

1.Your temporary housing will be a flat, which tend to have small floor footage.  Which is fine.  Problem with short term housing, specially in and around Moema, is that it is also favored by working girls.  And some of those girls take clients into their rooms ( the front lobby staff looks the other way ).  In  fact, the neighborhood, with all those flaunt me rich folk, has the honor of having most if not all swinging clubs in the City. Now imagine, those two getting a knock on the door by a mistaken John.  Not fun at all, don't we all agree?

2..Half of Moema is below landing planes routes. Which means, from 7AM to Midnight, every few minutes, a plane wil be landing, with all the jet thrust annoying  noises, above your head, even you are indoors!. So, then forget the top floors. There are listing ads that specify if the patch is off route ( Fora da Rota ), and by default, everything else crossing Avenida Ibirapuera  is under route. Good luck with that.

Perdizes, for your errands with Policia Federal's sakes is close enough. 

Just behind the Palmeiras Stadia, there is the flat building, the provide for furnished apartments, some with a small kitchen

Plaza Inn American Loft    Rua Palestra Itália, 263 Perdizes    05005-030

https://www.plazainn.com.br/hoteis/plaz … comodacoes

Not an endorsement.  Location is fine.   I assume the Palmeiras pro soccer team makes arrangements for its unsettled players here.