UK citizen in China

Renewing my passport, they want to send it to a major city for me to pick up. I live in Hainan and cannot legally travel without a passport. Anyone have this problem or find it crazy?

@youcanreachadam I think the embassy or consulate normally have post service

@Evy expat service

They do not. They want you to drop off the application and pick up the passport when ready. The only alternative is to send someone on your behalf. They must have a letter from you authorizing it. There used to be companies that dropped off and picked up. No longer. I can't find a single one. This is bananas, asking people to fly to drop off an appl. then fly home and return 2 months later for pickup. Crazy.

I listened to their customer service and posted my appl. to UK along with my current passport per their instructions. Now I have to get my spouse to fly to Guanzhou to pick up the new passport because I don't have my old one with which to travel.

If I didn't have a spouse to do that, I would have to get emergency travel docs! Crazy.

When you apply in person in the China, they file the appl. then give you your old passport to use while the new one is prepared. When you pick up hte new one, they cancel the old one and give you the new one.

Why the change? Why not the old system of DHL your passport to your home? I don't know. Save money on couriers? Security? I don't get it. Anyone get this crazy disruption? What justifies this?