Secure your financial assets as an expat in Panama

Hello everyone,

As we navigate the exciting world of living and working in Panama, it's essential to make informed decisions about our financial future.
We'd love to hear about the different investment options available for expats: how to invest in Panama or in your home country, explore international options or use online accounts.

To kick off the discussion, here are some guiding questions:

What are the investment opportunities as an expat in Panama? Are there any specific investment programs?

In your opinion, what are the advantages and disadvantages of investing internationally ? How is your experience with international investments?

What specific points should you consider regarding your investments as an expat (exchange rate management, international tax obligations or repatriation of funds)?

Do you use specialized banking services for expats, such as multi-currency accounts? What are the pros of these services and how do they help you with your finances?

How is the property market for expats? Are there any specific regulations or aspects we should be aware of when investing in real estate in Panama?

What strategies do you apply to save and invest for your financial future in Panama and/or to secure your children's financial future?

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us!

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

when i moved to panama near 21 years ago at the age of 55 i had money to invest and very little income from investment . the canal had  just changed hand and many homes rented and apartments were avavble and the construction boom had not really stated . the apartment i rented had rented for 650 a month to a family living off base , knowing i needed at least a year to make desicions i paid a year in advance for 450  month . i had visited 6 countries but panama was on the dollar so i did not have to figure whether i was paying 45 cents or 4.50 for a beer a major concern . i was also coming off a really bad divorce and am a family man so finding a sole mate was top of the list . i went to mexico 3 times and colombia 3 times belonged to 3 dating clubs and t met many women .. women in colombia were the most wiling and aggressive but they had one thing in mind to go to the usa .. in panama they are proud of their country and so very family oriented  you marry one you married the family and in 20 years i know of only one woman that married and moved to the states . i have been married 19 years now and have a family here ,, my wife was 22 and i was 57 we got married .. our wedding vows was love, honor and push your wheel chair .. .. my first installment about why i chose panama over col, dr, mex, hon , guat, jam, cr ... money and love .. come on down .. we are still on the dollar , my wife has a great job thanks to me sending her to every school she wanted to attend . we shared many hundreds of hours studying together , traveling together and learning the country .. regrets yes but moving to panama is not one of them ..