Need feedback on 2 schools

Hey all,

This is probably in the wrong post, I am new here and trying to figure it all out, but I want to know if anyone here knows of EMG, teachers teach all subjects and most material is provided; the other is iSmart, teachers teach English through Math and Science only, some materials provided. Both companies are located in HCMC. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks1f64f.svg

Hello Dave Sloan,

Please note that I have created a new thread from your question on the Ho Chi Minh City forum so that members can guide you.

Are you looking to working in one of the schools ?

All the best

Bhavna

Hey all,
This is probably in the wrong post, I am new here and trying to figure it all out, but I want to know if anyone here knows of EMG, teachers teach all subjects and most material is provided; the other is iSmart, teachers teach English through Math and Science only, some materials provided. Both companies are located in HCMC. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks1f64f.svg
-@Dave Sloan

Hi Dave Sloan.

There was a thread by members related to EMG, with not very glowing descriptions, here.

I've not heard of iSmart from expat.com members (yet).

If you are not yet in VN, and if your intended arrival date will be post-Aug15th, I would suggest you enter then under the 90 tourist visa, enabling you to make some inquiries with some of the expat teachers at both locations. Best to resist the urge to have everything nailed down prior to your arrival. I say this in relation to not just employment, but also to lodgings.

Please let us know what you find out about both EMG and iSmart schools. We would very much appreciate it.

@Bhavna

Hi! thank you for helping me! It is much appreciated.

I am potentially looking at working at either one of these two places, or I could be in a different country altogether. Vietnam is my only choice at the moment and I am looking at getting out of the US by the first week of October.  I'm just trying to figure everything out.

@Aidan in HCMC

Well, one thing that is nice is that iSmart gave me a pretty good offer, they  want me to come work for them, but feel that I should search for an international school job, but...I don't have my Master's degree yet. I'll finish that in December 2024. They would like me to come try their company, they want to offer me a full time position, but want to see if I like it there first as a part-time employee...which would be perfect for me because I work remotely already and I'm doing an online Master's course. The schedule would be the most ideal and I could try the job for a year. They also stated that my particular contract wouldn't be as strict, if I don't like the school, I can leave, just need to give them 30 day notice. I won't be able to go until the first week of October, if I take this position. Actually, it is the only time I can go because of other obligations. So..I may just give it a try. I'm waiting to finish some other interviews first, then will make my decision by the end of the July.

WHILE I'm here, what is the best way to transfer money from VN to USA? China now has a great transfer called Swapsy, otherwise it is literally impossible to transfer money out of China. I still have an ICBC bank account in China and I know there are some in Vietnam too. Can I put money into that account then use Swapsy to transfer or is there a better way? Wells Fargo is usually a complete RIP OFF! THX