Menu
Expat.com

Managing child-related expenses in Saudi Arabia

Last activity 31 July 2023 by bobbyaz66

Cheryl

Hello everyone,

Embarking on an expat journey to Saudi Arabia with children presents unique challenges, particularly concerning the financial considerations related to raising kids. Whether you are planning to relocate to Saudi Arabia or have already begun your expat life, understanding these aspects will help you manage your budget and ensure the well-being of your children in their new environment.

To kick off the discussion, we have gathered a few questions. We encourage you to share your experiences and insights on the topic:

How do the costs of raising a child in Saudi Arabia differ from your home country? What is the most significant expense related to childhood in Saudi Arabia?

Are child-related services in Saudi Arabia affordable?

Is there any financial support available for expat families, or is it reserved only for local citizens?

What is the estimated cost of medical expenses and routine healthcare for your child?

Are there affordable options for child activities, such as sports clubs or music lessons?

What are your tips to manage your budget effectively in Saudi Arabia  (clothing and equipment rentals, swaps, parent groups, etc.)?

We look forward to hearing your responses and testimonials on this topic.
Thank you for your contributions.

Cheryl
The Expat.com Team

dhagie78

How do the costs of raising a child in Saudi Arabia differ from your home country? What is the most significant expense related to childhood in Saudi Arabia?

= Well, the most expensive cost spends for my family member living here in Saudi are levy fees compare to my home country are free, but we are happy to live here forever if I have chance because of holy land of Makkah and Madinah, no matter how much I spend as long as I can.

Are child-related services in Saudi Arabia affordable?

= Yes affordable,

Is there any financial support available for expat families, or is it reserved only for local citizens?

=Unfortunately, no support availability for expat.

What is the estimated cost of medical expenses and routine healthcare for your child?

= Sorry I have not estimated answer, because all my family members are covered by my insurance in behalf of my company.

Are there affordable options for child activities, such as sports clubs or music lessons?

= Well, about the sports my family are playing game or sports in their school with fees for venues.

What are your tips to manage your budget effectively in Saudi Arabia (clothing and equipment rentals, swaps, parent groups, etc.)?

= be wise when it come for rental, House rent you must select those apartments near to your child schools and near to your Markets where you find your daily basic needs. Do not rent a car for your family use every day, you must buy as much as you can.

thusitha777

In a one liner, If you are getting your Kids here, you need to get school fees covered by the company or else dont do it. Even with the coverage still I am short as these schools are super expensive compaired to many countries.

bobbyaz66

@Cheryl

Dear all,

SA is a good place for making money if you are w/o family. If family ,your expenses are in the sky. So don't come with your family if have one. Saudi administration don't encourage at all expat families as it introduced the levy that shunned a lot of people away. The levy and VAT was supposed to sustained the economic downfall after 2018. Of course , they kept both even after they recovered very well during pandemic and bloody Russian war when oil went up .

But let's answer: it is all about your income and level of living you want to achieve.

First big expense with kids would bethe school fees, that can reach up to 80000 sar per year in fancy British or American schools.

A lot of extracurricular activities open recently as the country opened up more since MBS came in power. Of course this comes at a cost . Bottom line, of you have family and salary is less than 50000 and you are westerner don't even think to bring your kids here. Living in the city and not a confined compound is not living. Saudi culture is terrible in this regard the neighbourhoods are ugly and the urban landscape is very sad.

Compounds offer a lot of facilities and greenery that can confort your spirit, but this means more costs. If you draw the line the savings are not as you expected.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Saudi Arabia

All of Saudi Arabia's guide articles