Menu
Expat.com

Schooling options for my daughter

Last activity 04 August 2023 by Leeds forever!

Tonysamui33

Hi!

I live in Lamai with my 13 years old daughter, and the biggest problem is to find a school for her. Personally, I have lives here for about 24 years, and everything was great through kinder garden and the 3 first years at a private school here. But at one point I could not afford it anymore, and we went back to Norway and the free schools there. But she was bullied and attacked in school, so much so that she would never go back to a Norwegian school again. After one year just sitting home, Child services agreed with my daughter and sent us both back here to Samui. I am retired, and my income is reduced. I told them crystal clear that I had no possibility to pay for the international school here on the island, but they said "Relax, I am sure it will sort it self out.

Well, it has not. I have been trying for 3 months, but to no avail. The Child services are just shrugging, and have no good ideas. Honestly, now I feel as they dumpet us down here (out of sight, out of mind) I have no idea what they where thinking when they sent us down here without a plan or at least paying for the school.

Hope I get some good hints from some of you guys. Have a good day!

Regards

Torkill Wiik

Leeds forever!
Hi!
I live in Lamai with my 13 years old daughter, and the biggest problem is to find a school for her. Personally, I have lives here for about 24 years, and everything was great through kinder garden and the 3 first years at a private school here. But at one point I could not afford it anymore, and we went back to Norway and the free schools there. But she was bullied and attacked in school, so much so that she would never go back to a Norwegian school again. After one year just sitting home, Child services agreed with my daughter and sent us both back here to Samui. I am retired, and my income is reduced. I told them crystal clear that I had no possibility to pay for the international school here on the island, but they said "Relax, I am sure it will sort it self out.
Well, it has not. I have been trying for 3 months, but to no avail. The Child services are just shrugging, and have no good ideas. Honestly, now I feel as they dumpet us down here (out of sight, out of mind) I have no idea what they where thinking when they sent us down here without a plan or at least paying for the school.
Hope I get some good hints from some of you guys. Have a good day!
Regards
Torkill Wiik
-@Tonysamui33

Have Child Services in Norway ever paid for the cost for a Norwegian citizen at an international school in Thailand before? I doubt that,and why would they? Why do you think that every Norwegian school is as bad as you're describing?

Bhavna

Hello everyone and welcome on board @Torkill Wiik !

I have created a new thread from your post on the Koh Samui forum so that members can share their feedback with you.

When you say child services sent you back to Samui (Thailand) , can you please clarify ?

Regards

Bhavna

lukydip

Hi there

did you check school fee in other city as koh samui is an island and touristic area.

Personnally without any pension and income, when I came in Thailand ( Chiang Mai ) my daughter enter british cambridge accredited school at the age of 6 years old.

Now she is 16 yo, 10 years later fee has increased dramatically, big gap also between primary and secondary. Nearly 10 percent increase per year

New investor bought the school and bring lot of chinese students, I moved her to another accredited british school ( same curriculum ) for last 4 years, fees have been frozen for 2 years during covid, now it is around 450,000 plus exam fees and others per year

I have spent over 2,000,000 in the first school, and for last 4 years of secondary IGCSE AS A level it will be another 2,000,000 yes that is lot of money

And even more disgusting that a british national who want to return study in England will be consider as international student and will have to pay University fee 3 to 4 times more expensive than local british, unless they have been in UK the last 3 years.

Alternative option cheaper is a bi lingual school with EP ( English Program ), in Chiang Mai the fee will be around 50,000 baht and the last few year will still be below 100,000. That is 4 to 5 times less than international school, many foreigners choose that option for their children

I don't get help for scholarship from government however as she perform well school give scholarship up to 80 percent, depends on the school

As a French citizen also I know some can get help from government but only for French school and there is none in Chiang Mai ( Only Bangkok, Koh Samui, Pattaya )

In Bangkok and Pattaya international school fee can reach million baht per year, reason why I settle in Chiang Mai

Leeds forever!
Hi there
did you check school fee in other city as koh samui is an island and touristic area.
Personnally without any pension and income, when I came in Thailand ( Chiang Mai ) my daughter enter british cambridge accredited school at the age of 6 years old.

Now she is 16 yo, 10 years later fee has increased dramatically, big gap also between primary and secondary. Nearly 10 percent increase per year

New investor bought the school and bring lot of chinese students, I moved her to another accredited british school ( same curriculum ) for last 4 years, fees have been frozen for 2 years during covid, now it is around 450,000 plus exam fees and others per year

I have spent over 2,000,000 in the first school, and for last 4 years of secondary IGCSE AS A level it will be another 2,000,000 yes that is lot of money

And even more disgusting that a british national who want to return study in England will be consider as international student and will have to pay University fee 3 to 4 times more expensive than local british, unless they have been in UK the last 3 years.

Alternative option cheaper is a bi lingual school with EP ( English Program ), in Chiang Mai the fee will be around 50,000 baht and the last few year will still be below 100,000. That is 4 to 5 times less than international school, many foreigners choose that option for their children

I don't get help for scholarship from government however as she perform well school give scholarship up to 80 percent, depends on the school

As a French citizen also I know some can get help from government but only for French school and there is none in Chiang Mai ( Only Bangkok, Koh Samui, Pattaya )

In Bangkok and Pattaya international school fee can reach million baht per year, reason why I settle in Chiang Mai
-@lukydip

"And even more disgusting that a british national who want to return study in England will be consider as international student and will have to pay University fee 3 to 4 times more expensive than local british, unless they have been in UK the last 3 years."

Who forced them to live in Thailand? Please tell.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Koh Samui

• Studying in Thailand
    Studying in Thailand

Many internationally accredited university degree programmes at Thai universities are conducted in English. ...

• The education system in Thailand
    The education system in Thailand

If you want to provide your children with the right education in Thailand, you have to start out by getting to ...

• Working in Chiang Mai
    Working in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai's ethnic diversity, breathtaking scenery, and the multitude of festivals and attractions ...

• Income tax in Thailand
    Income tax in Thailand

Thailand is not a tax haven. In Thailand, there are two main types of taxpayers — residents and ...

• Working in Pattaya
    Working in Pattaya

Pattaya may not be as idyllic as some of Thailand's other beach destinations. However, it is still one of the ...

• Getting married in Thailand
    Getting married in Thailand

The kingdom of Thailand is a stunningly beautiful wedding destination. Its crystal clear beaches, lush green ...

• Starting a business in Thailand
    Starting a business in Thailand

Thailand is the second-largest economy in Southeast Asia and the 26th-largest economy in the world. It offers many ...

• The healthcare system in Thailand
    The healthcare system in Thailand

Thailand is one of the most visited countries in the world. It is also home to a large number of long-term expats, ...

All of Koh Samui's guide articles