Toyota Vehicles in Kenya

Hello everyone

ive just joined this board as me and my partner are planning on a road trip from Cape town to Nairobi.

we are looking to buy a Toyota in South Africa in the hope to sell it in Kenya when we arrive.

im looking for a some advice on which Toyotas are most used or sort after in Kenya.

where woukd be the best place to sell it when we arrive in Kenya.

we were also looking to buy to order so hopefully we have a buyer lined up.

any tips on the above idea woukd be greatly received.

Thanks for reading

Hi, a very quick answer here but I'm sure others will have more information than me. Check the import duty and regulations - the Kenya revenue authority has rules on this and import duty is expensive. One major point to note is that you can't import anything that is more than eight years old. In terms of type of Toyota, are you looking at a 4x4 or a smaller car? All are popular here and where you sell depends a bit in what you are bringing in.

Hi Richard

Thanks for some good information. yes ive heard that minimum age is 7 years old, I'll be looking at 4x4 LC 200 or Prado 150 or something similar

how would go about getting more information on import duty and how do i declare it when selling in Kenya

I would say the Landcruiser 70 V8 bakkie or station wagon.  The V8 engine version is not sold in Kenya, so they are rare and go for high prices.

The maximum age is 8 years from first registration, not date of manufacture.  It must also be RHD.  You will have to pay duty within 6 months of importing the vehicle and certainly before you sell it.  The KRA website has a useful breakdown of the duty, VAT and other levies.  The percentage duty varies according to engine size, but expect the total amount to be 70 - 75% of the value of the vehicle as determined by KRA.

If you are going to buy to order, then find out what the buyer wants and bring that.