Reclaiming property after 40years

I am Mohamed Sadiq from India. Posting this query here requesting anyone who is having knowledge on this matter will be able to give me suggestions, Godwilling.

Straight to the point - My grandfather had properties in Ho Chi Minh City. During the vietnam war they left everything (about 40years ago) as it is and came to India. I don't want to reveal the property name here in open forum.

My grandfather had this well established business in Tu Do street (old name) - Ho Chi Minh City, commercial building (near continental hotel) and resident units in other area. My grandfather is no more - He passed away. Is there any way to claim our old property? What are the documents required? Kindly advise.

Mohamed Sadiq,

Hello Mohamed Sadiq,

Welcome on board !

Do you have any legal document to certify that he bought property ? deed ?

I think a notary or a lawyer will be best able to guide you.

Regards

Bhavna

Straight to the point - My grandfather had properties in Ho Chi Minh City. During the vietnam war they left everything (about 40years ago) as it is and came to India.
-@Aranneera

I expect that you are aware that the government that took over after the war did not allow holding of private property by its own citizens, let alone foreigners.  Although things have loosened up some since then, I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone had fully government approved title now to what was your property back them. 

@Bhavna and @THIGV thank you for reply,

Yes we have some documents, before leaving Vietnam - my grandfather submitted all those property documents in Indian consulate. And in return consulate gave a document stating that. We have this piece of document.

Do you suggest any legal consultants there who could help to track any documents from government offices?

@Aranneera I have a Viet Kieu friend who are in the same situation. He gave up after trying to reclaim his father's property that was owned before 1975. They gave up after countless trips back from the US to bribe the right people. He told me that to get the government to return father's house (on Le Thanh Ton Street) would have cost him more 10 houses. Anyway, that place has been turned into mini hotel. You might want to see a lawyer but lawyers in Vietnam facilitate bribes more than anything else. 

@James Liu Thank you for reply.

Do you have contact details of your friend? It would be great if I am able to talk to him and know the details. I've just initiated the process any information from him would be really helpful, Godwilling.

If your grandfather didn't stay in Vietnam after the war, the probability of getting back is zero. Such abandoned houses were given to fighting Viet Cong of the North as a reward for their service in the war. Generals got the best locations.

@Bhavna and @THIGV thank you for reply,
Yes we have some documents, before leaving Vietnam - my grandfather submitted all those property documents in Indian consulate. And in return consulate gave a document stating that. We have this piece of document.

Do you suggest any legal consultants there who could help to track any documents from government offices?
-@Aranneera

Hi Mohamed. Thank you for the earlier PM. I'm glad you took the time to post directly to the forum.

Pursueing this matter through the courts might end up being a time consuming, costly (and disappointing?) endeavour.

Have you made enquiries through the India Consulate offices in Saigon? (Link)

I'm thinking that your situation will not be unique, and that this is a matter which your consulate will have experience with.

I'm pretty sure Michael Corlene had the exact same problem in Cuba.

Not even Tom Hagen could fix it...

@OceanBeach92107:)) may be bcoz it's fiction.

In real I know it's not easy, possibility of recovery is in microscopic size... Just trying with hope. Let's see .. Godwilling!

@Aranneera:   Give these some thought.

"If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair, you're fooling yourself. That's like expecting the lion not to eat you because you didn't eat him." - John Spence

“Therefore do not deceive yourself! Of all deceivers fear most yourself!” ― Søren Kierkegaard

@OceanBeach92107 Hyman Roth already took care of that thanks to Fredo.

My wife also owned an apartment in Saigon.  We decided just to forget about it, but you never know unless you try.  Take a look at this:   https://www.lexology.com/library/detail … 8b2f506816

@williamherron13

This is a fascinating read. Thanks for sharing it! And it is stuff like this link that make reading the Expat.com Vietnam forum so rewarding. Thanks so much!

@Lennerd I love visiting this site. Full of nice and helpful people who like to help each other out. So unlike the toxicity of reddit/vietnam

My wife also owned an apartment in Saigon. We decided just to forget about it, but you never know unless you try. Take a look at this:  https://www.lexology.com/library/detail … 8b2f506816
-@williamherron13

Good find!

@Lennerd I love visiting this site. Full of nice and helpful people who like to help each other out. So unlike the toxicity of reddit/vietnam
-@James Liu

That's nice to hear 🙏

Unfortunately, in spite of our best efforts, there are some people we fail to please.

Usually, those who arrive with a faulty answer to their own question(s) and want verification from us.

My wife also owned an apartment in Saigon. We decided just to forget about it, but you never know unless you try. Take a look at this:  https://www.lexology.com/library/detail … 8b2f506816
-@williamherron13

Based on that, it seems that chances for Việt Kiều to regain property rights are slim & none.

One would have to guess then that the OP's family (from India) has zero chance.

😣

Just had a flashback from a scene in Dr Zhivago...

https://youtu.be/qnpATXvwWrI