Driving back to the UK from Malta

I am leaving Malta after 2 years and returning home to the UK.

I imported my UK registered car (drove here) and completed all of the Malta registration. Now, I am heading back but frustratingly, cannot seem to find any guidance (including from Transport Malta !) on the process for exportin the same vehicle ?

Has anyone made a similar move North since Brexit ?

I've not done this so can't advise. But in thinking about it, would you need permission to export it? Wouldn't it be more about the UK authorities re-registering it and what, if anything to pay?

I'd be interested though - what was the process and costs to bring the vehicle here in the first place?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I suspect that Transport Malta will have no interest in you exporting your own vehicle.  Assuming you have some of the original UK documentation (V5, purchase invoice), then you should be able to import it back to the UK tax-free.  This website has some information that may help you.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Transport Malta is not interested when you return with your car to the UK. Just make sure you have all the former documents available when your car was registered in the UK. I assume you have to get back to your previous registration plates from the UK.