Transition process from British International to a Scottish school

Dear All

I am looking to get some advise or tips on the best way to relocate my family from a Middle Eastern British International school to a high school/college in Scotland, preferably Edinburgh. We are all originally from Manchester and have been in the Middle East for over 10 years.

I have 3 children, aged 12, 13 and 16 who are following the British curriculum leading up to iGCSEs from Cambridge board.

I want to know if they begin attending a Scottish school within the next academic year (2024 to 2025), which 'level' in school would they be entered and would they need to 'repeat' a level or year (if that makes any sense).

Also, I am a British qualified secondary school teacher, how hard would it be to find jobs in schools within Edinburgh?

Any help/advise/tips/links would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Education in the United Kingdom is a devolved matter, so there is no "British" education system as such, each country has its own structure. So, Scotland is very much controlled by the Scottish Government; they have a website that will answer most of your questions, or give you links to other places that may help; this link will take you straight to it.

The Scots don't use the IGCE system, they have their own and the equivalent there is the N5 exam.

There is a Wikipedia page that describes what years equate to what age; this link will take you straight to it.

Regarding working; I'd suggest you join something like LinkedIn and reach out to your peers to find the information you need.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team