Blacklisted from one beer dui?

hello so i went through a police checkpoint and i had a beer one hour ago, skipping the story they said if i don't pay they can remove my passport stamp and ban me from the country is this really possible over such a small thing, and does anyone know where police like to work and what time in ho chi minh? thanks

Having one beer and riding a motorcycle. I guess that would not exclude 98% of the Vietnamese male population. 2% are too plastered to get up from their seats. Need more context here, such as breathalyzer, written fine etc.  But appears to be a shakedown.

May I ask how much the ticket was? I asked a quetion about this a while ago and the conclusion was the law of VN does have a ZERO tollerance policy so even a single beer could mean a fine. If you only had a single beer it shouldnt be a huge fine but yes the law does require a fine if you have any alcohol in your system. My wife's family is particularly paranoid about it as there are reports of people getting fined for having a small level of alcohol due to eating fruit too ripe. My brother in law got a ticket after a single beer. I dont see what options you have other than to pay the fine. Driving after consuming alcohol is not a small thing here. They are taking it extremely serious. Maybe they are going overboard with it but it is what it is.

@jrharvey He drank and rode. Very little sympathy here and he needs to pay for it. Shakedown or no shakedown from the police, I don't condone this. I've witnessed plenty of it during my outings with co-workers in Saigon and Hanoi. It's shockingly common here that I stopped telling them what to do and they wouldn't listen anyway.

hello so i went through a police checkpoint and i had a beer one hour ago, skipping the story they said if i don't pay they can remove my passport stamp and ban me from the country is this really possible over such a small thing, and does anyone know where police like to work and what time in ho chi minh? thanks
-@Kyle Gyr

Do you comprehend the phrase "zero tolerance"?

You obviously don't respect it, based on your description of your illegal behavior as "such a small thing".

I wouldn't be surprised if you got blacklisted if that's what you said to the officer.

Humility and coffee money can get you out of a lot of bad situations in Vietnam.

Unfortunately some people find it very hard to fake humility, and they travel here on such a slim budget, they are not prepared to cough up some VNĐ when necessary.

hello so i went through a police checkpoint and i had a beer one hour ago,...

DUI and strict rules(Link to member jrharvey's prior thread)

No amount of alcohol is permissible when operating a motor vehicle in VN.

...skipping the story they said if i don't pay they can remove my passport stamp and ban me from the country

If you are charged and convicted, yes, entirely possible and likely probable. Not to mention being blacklisted from reentering Vietnam.

is this really possible over such a small thing, and does anyone know where police like to work and what time in ho chi minh? thanks
-@Kyle Gyr

Drinking and driving in Vietnam is most certainly not considered "...such a small thing".

Your question, "...where police like to work and what time in ho chi minh", would require expat.com members to be in contravention of the forum's code of conduct regarding promotion of illegal activities, and would result in the member being reported. I suggest you simply assume that the police work everywhere and always.

Or just stop drinking and driving and thereafter not be stressed about it.

As I stated in the linked thread of jrharvey,

'Ignorance of the law, as we all learned, is no excuse.

Know the law, and stay within it.'

Simple answer - don't drink and drive. Would you drink and drive in your own country???????????????

Simple answer - don't drink and drive. Would you drink and drive in your own country???????????????
-@cougarcar20

Simple reply.  My country allows for a .08 alcohol limit which would allow someone to have a couple of drinks with dinner and still safely drive home.  That is reasonable.

Vietnam was the wild West for many years with no regulations and then went to the complete opposite direction three years ago with a knee-jerk zero tolerance policy.  That is not reasonable.

But, it is the law, and one must comply with all laws in a foreign country whether you feel that they are reasonable or not.

-@cougarcar20
Simple reply. My country allows for a .08 alcohol limit which would allow someone to have a couple of drinks with dinner and still safely drive home. That is reasonable.

Vietnam was the wild West for many years with no regulations and then went to the complete opposite direction three years ago with a knee-jerk zero tolerance policy. That is not reasonable.

But, it is the law, and one must comply with all laws in a foreign country whether you feel that they are reasonable or not.
-@SteinNebraska

Unreasonably reasonable? 😉

-@cougarcar20
Simple reply. My country allows for a .08 alcohol limit which would allow someone to have a couple of drinks with dinner and still safely drive home. That is reasonable.

Vietnam was the wild West for many years with no regulations and then went to the complete opposite direction three years ago with a knee-jerk zero tolerance policy. That is not reasonable.

-@SteinNebraska

Unreasonably reasonable? 😉
-@OceanBeach92107

Pretty much

Vietnam's tough drunk driving law gets the ‘tough' going

flashback, Dec 2020

"With over 185,000 drunk drivers subjected to heavier punishments in 2020, traffic cops are noticing improved driving attitudes on Vietnamese roads. " (Link VN Express)

Bravo. I haven't noticed any improvement yet, but okay, if you say so...

Any bets the coffee money coffers are well stacked?

@Kyle Gyr Dude dont be stupid and be drinking and then riding or driving. You are not only putting yourself in danger but everyone else as well!  Follow the law . It's not a small thing as you said.  My buddy drank and rode and had a head on collision with a pole he died!   

To be honest, I believe zero is the reasonable limit.

It was mine even when I was allowed more in the UK.

Getting nabbed is a bit of tough luck

"I only had one, officer", is commonly less than true.