Postage for international letter

Vietpost said like 40USD via EMS, ridiculous. There is an 2012 thread on the same topic, and somebody figured out you have to buy airmail envelope, then it's like $2 as it should be. So I guess Vietpost keeps that a secret to keep that sweet EMS dough rolling in from clueless expats.So just wanted to ask if this still applies.Thank you,Roy

Vietpost said like 40USD via EMS, ridiculous. There is an 2012 thread on the same topic, and somebody figured out you have to buy airmail envelope, then it's like $2 as it should be. So I guess Vietpost keeps that a secret to keep that sweet EMS dough rolling in from clueless expats.
So just wanted to ask if this still applies.
Thank you,
Roy
-@Roy McRoy

Hello Roy McRoy, and welcome to expat.com.

Not sure if that rate still applies, but the last time I sent "airmail" to Canada it took 3 months to be delivered.

I suspect that with EMS, @ $40, you'd be able to track it, insure it, and get a fairly firm date on expected delivery.

Not so with airmail.

So I guess Vietpost keeps that a secret to keep that sweet EMS dough rolling in from clueless expats.
Thank you,
Roy
-@Roy McRoy

Definitely.

"Clueless expats" still applies to far too many people...

So I guess Vietpost keeps that a secret to keep that sweet EMS dough rolling in from clueless expats.
Thank you,
Roy
-@Roy McRoy

Definitely.

"Clueless expats" still applies to far too many people...
-@OceanBeach92107

I have found that to make sure any post I send to UK gets there I go to the main post office HCMC beside the opera house. I have posted a few (not too important) standard size letters to my solicitor in Scotland & Isle of Man & every time they have got them within 3 weeks from posting & the cost was less than 100,000vnd. Any important letters I send DHL but the cost is 60usd.

Vietpost said like 40USD via EMS, ridiculous. There is an 2012 thread on the same topic, and somebody figured out you have to buy airmail envelope, then it's like $2 as it should be. So I guess Vietpost keeps that a secret to keep that sweet EMS dough rolling in from clueless expats.
Thank you,
Roy
-@Roy McRoy

Not sure if that rate still applies, but the last time I sent "airmail" to Canada it took 3 months to be delivered.
I suspect that with EMS, @ $40, you'd be able to track it, insure it, and get a fairly firm date on expected delivery.
Not so with airmail.
-@Aidan in HCMC

Exactly.

You can definitely "send" a letter for much less than $40 (or $60 as GOB mentioned) BUT - if you want it to arrive at its destination in less time than it takes to incubate a chicken egg, you'll have to opt for for premium services which cost premium money (THAT's "as it should be")

Thank you,
Roy
-@Roy McRoy

Not so with airmail.
-@Aidan in HCMC

Exactly.

BUT - if you want it to arrive at its destination in less time than it takes to incubate a chicken egg,
-@OceanBeach92107

1f923.svg1f923.svg I had to Google "incubation time for chicken egg" so I looked back on my e mails & the last letter I sent to my Solicitor in Scotland was posted on 10th April & received at her office on 27th so the egg would not have hatched yet1f61c.svg

Hello everybody, I frequently use EMS, and the main reason why it costs $40 (minimum) is not ridiculous at all...  it's because they are interconnected to 3rd parties' services such as EMS China, DLH and Fedex to abroad (none cost less than that).  And of course the package will arrive in maximum 10 days (from Kontum-VN to Santiago de Chile)

If you choose the regular Air-Mail, although you pay for extra priority, your package will be bouncing, back and forth through the globe, depending the volume of deliveries and quotas on the airplanes (45 days from Kontum to Santiago) .