New to Nairobi and looking for low rent options (& fun things to do!)

Hello all! In November, I will be temporarily moving to Nairobi for at least three months and am on the lookout for low rent options and / or house sitting opportunities. If anyone knows of any opportunities, platforms to search on, or other helpful tips, I'd be very grateful! I'm open to "alternative" and clever solutions as well :)

A bit about me:33 year old woman originally from America, but have been in the UK for 6 years. I am a nurse by background, and current creating podcasts for a living. In Nairobi, I will be working with various humanitarian organizations in the region to help tell the stories of the people they support and the work that they do.

I'm personable, tidy, and excited to immerse myself in the local community as much as possible :) On that note, I'd also love any tips on local events, community groups, etc to begin meeting people and experiencing Nairobi as soon as I land!

Thanks so much for any thoughts!

Anna

Moderated by Bhavna 8 months ago
Reason : Promoting own services + contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

One question - have you arranged a work permit, or Special Pass for your trip?  I'd recommend it, as doing voluntary work (or work of any sort) is prohibited with the 'standard' Single Entry Visa'.  From your brief description what you are planning to do would constitute 'work' and of course being online isn't particularly low profile (unless you publish all your content after you have left).

Voluntary work has to a large extent dried up.  Part of this is due to enforcement of the immigration laws and part is to do with Kenyans dislike of westerners tendency to portray Kenya and indeed many other African countries in a somewhat negative light, highlighting the struggles and poverty and 'bad news stories'.

Nairobi is not a particularly cheap city.  Accommodation wise, the cheapest is in areas which are more dodgy.  There is this site, which may help:

https://www.homestay.com/kenya/nairobi

I'd avoid property realtors unless they can offer very short term lets - property rental terms are similar to the UK.

@New to Nairobi hi am here to help