Pizza and spaghetti

Ok everyone, I'm looking for a great place for pizza and spaghetti. Last night tried 4P's pizza and it was just terrible, even though it had great reviews. So, let's see which place most people think is the best. Thanks for your contribution.

Try Lotteria

@ajairon

Disgusting, I want a real pizza and spaghetti.

Ok everyone, I'm looking for a great place for pizza and spaghetti. Last night tried 4P's pizza and it was just terrible, even though it had great reviews. So, let's see which place most people think is the best. Thanks for your contribution.

-@cougarcar20

What city?

In Quy Nhơn, most expats I know prefer Sisters Tavern and Pizzeria (Google Maps link).

Not all Vietnamese people like it, but that's probably because the restaurant uses western-style recipes & cooking techniques (less sugar, hand-made crust, no Vietnamese topping concoctions).

@OceanBeach92107

Sorry, forgot to mention the city. It's HCM

I like Big C thin crusty pizza, bung it in the oven & give it a bit of a burn!! & for me its as good as you get here.

@OceanBeach92107

Hi thanks for the advice, just checked their website and looks fantastic. Will have to try it if I'm ever in the area. thanks again.

Whatever you do, don't go to the Vinmart mall, on So1 running north from Tran Tron Cung, D7. There's (was?) an eatery there on the top floor which served "pizza". Great pics. Fair price. The problem? They used condensed sweetened milk instead of mozzarella cheese. Hey, looks close enough, I guess.

@goodolboy

Hi thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not into frozen supermarket box pizza. I'm after fresh.

But thanks anyway.

There are some good pizza places in HCMC one I use regularly is 365 Napoli Pizza. The dough is good they seem to understand Italian pizza. I can't help with the pasta as I make my own. But I would give 365 a try.

@Ed Howard Williams

Ok thanks will give them a try next time I'm in the mood for pizza.

@goodolboyHi thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not into frozen supermarket box pizza. I'm after fresh.But thanks anyway.         -@cougarcar20

Big C pizza is not frozen boxed supermarket pizza, its baked fresh in their on site bakery where all their fresh baked stuff is done. You can actually watch the bakers working.

Whatever place you choose for that combo must be unflinchingly dedicated to Western recipes (Italian, Sicilian, Chicago, New York, Boston, etc).

Notice I didn't include "California Pizza Kitchen" on that list... 😁

For example, the Al Fresco chain actually has a couple of basic pizzas that are pretty good, but most of their varieties are definitely geared toward pleasing Vietnamese customers.

Their spaghetti is especially unworthy of a recommendation to most foreigners.

The pasta is ok (average) but the sauce has that sicky-sweet flavor that the children love here.

Reminds me of the canned Franco-American brand spaghetti our alcoholic stepmother served us when we were captive kids with no other choices.

Also, it's worth noting that many westerners don't really care if their pizza is handcrafted, because they've gotten used to eating frozen pizza back home and actually prefer that.

@goodolboy

Oh really, sorry I miss understood you, that's sound fantastic I will definitely have to try it. Thanks again. Which Big C is it, what district?

@OceanBeach92107

Yes, I agree with everything you said. My Vietnamese wife thought Al Fresco food was good but not great, I didn't like it at all. Never liked frozen store-bought pizza, but some people do.

@goodolboy
Oh really, sorry I miss understood you, that's sound fantastic I will definitely have to try it. Thanks again. Which Big C is it, what district?

-@cougarcar20

pandora trường chinh, the pizza I buy is a triangle slice from their thin crust which is about 24" in diameter. Just fits the bill for me & only 34vnd a slice. If you are a connoisseur of course you would have to add olives, virgin olive oil, peperoni etc. Their bakery as a whole is pretty good to be honest.

Best pizza I ever tasted was working on an oil rig in the Adriatic Sea off Italy & the cook was a Yugoslavian & his pizza was to die for!!

@goodolboyOh really, sorry I miss understood you, that's sound fantastic I will definitely have to try it. Thanks again. Which Big C is it, what district?        -@cougarcar20

pandora trường chinh, the pizza I buy is a triangle slice from their thin crust which is about 24" in diameter. Just fits the bill for me & only 34vnd a slice. If you are a connoisseur of course you would have to add olives, virgin olive oil, peperoni etc. Their bakery as a whole is pretty good to be honest.
Best pizza I ever tasted was working on an oil rig in the Adriatic Sea off Italy & the cook was a Yugoslavian & his pizza was to die for!!

-@goodolboy

I was quite surprised to get an amazing pizza in Nürnberg, Germany. Definitely an exception there...

@goodolboyOh really, sorry I miss understood you, that's sound fantastic I will definitely have to try it. Thanks again. Which Big C is it, what district?        -@cougarcar20pandora trường chinh, the pizza I buy is a triangle slice from their thin crust which is about 24" in diameter. Just fits the bill for me & only 34vnd a slice. If you are a connoisseur of course you would have to add olives, virgin olive oil, peperoni etc. Their bakery as a whole is pretty good to be honest.Best pizza I ever tasted was working on an oil rig in the Adriatic Sea off Italy & the cook was a Yugoslavian & his pizza was to die for!!        -@goodolboy

I was quite surprised to get an amazing pizza in Nürnberg, Germany. Definitely an exception there...

-@OceanBeach92107

ahhhhh interesting OB, was you on US military duty there during the trials?1f923.svg1f60e.svg

In D1, Indika does a great pizza, as do Brick & Barrel.  In TD, good pasta at Pendolasco and decent pizza at Ciao Bello

@PedroSGN

Thanks, I will try them out.

Pizza and Bia make exceptionally good Italian/New York style pizzas.

The owner went to Italy and studied how to make Italian pizzas. I like spicy pizzas and my favourite pizza from there is one called Saigon Heat. They also use imported ingredients including cheeses from Italy

@cougarcar20

In Sai Gon, closest to NYC style is Paper Plate Pizza.  It the same size as a NYC slice and completely foldable.  Most important.  Ain't cheap but worth it.  IMO.  Myself my fave is Pizza and Bia in D3.  The owner studied in Italy and apprenticed in Brooklyn, NY.   But again it's the smaller size with the wood-fired oven style crust.  Paper Plate is the more traditional crust I am used to.  But honestly, I miss Sal's in Oak Lawn, Dallas, Texas.  They make some fine pizza.  And ridiculously good meat ball subs.  And veal parmigiana.  And spaghetti and meat......geez I may need to book a flight back to.........

Pizza and Bia make exceptionally good Italian/New York style pizzas.
The owner went to Italy and studied how to make Italian pizzas. I like spicy pizzas and my favourite pizza from there is one called Saigon Heat. They also use imported ingredients including cheeses from Italy

-@DirtyPierre

Yep mine too.  For all the same reasons.  Just a note....I usually order direct from them and they have their own delivery people.  Always arrives hot.  I made a mistake and ordered through Grab...pizza arrived sideways and you can imagine.  I complained to P&B, they directed  me to Grab and I received some vouchers to cover the cost.  Next pizza will be through P&B direct....and yep Sai Gon Heat is my fav as well.

@cougarcar20
In Sai Gon, closest to NYC style is Paper Plate Pizza.  It the same size as a NYC slice and completely foldable.  Most important.  Ain't cheap but worth it.  IMO.  Myself my fave is Pizza and Bia in D3.  The owner studied in Italy and apprenticed in Brooklyn, NY.   But again it's the smaller size with the wood-fired oven style crust.  Paper Plate is the more traditional crust I am used to.  But honestly, I miss Sal's in Oak Lawn, Dallas, Texas.  They make some fine pizza.  And ridiculously good meat ball subs.  And veal parmigiana.  And spaghetti and meat......geez I may need to book a flight back to.........

-@def1412

1f923.svg get on that flight man

@DirtyPierre

Thanks for the information. I will try them out.

@cougarcar20Here's a link to Pizza and Via.https://www.pizzaandbia.com/?view=en I tried to upload a photo but couldn't so posting a link so you can see what their pizzas look like.

@DirtyPierre

Thanks for the help. I found their web page and the pizzas look great. But I'm and old fashion guy, so not interested in the fancy craft and fruit beers, just want an old fashion style beer.

@DirtyPierre
But I'm and old fashion guy, so not interested in the fancy craft and fruit beers, just want an old fashion style beer.

-@cougarcar20

333 Cheep & cheerful & after the 10th one you don't even taste the difference!

@goodolboy

Drink 333 all the time, have no problems with it.

@cougarcar20

I'm not into over priced craft beer. I'm into Italian pizzas that don't have loads of sugar in their spaghetti sauce. Italians will put some sugar in their Pomodoro sauce but only enough to take the acidic edge off the tomatoes.

Whereas Vietnamese will make it so sickly sweet it's now ruined. Same with Filipino spaghetti sauce.

The pizzas from Pizza and Bia will taste like Italian pizzas should.

@DirtyPierre

Yes, as I said the pizzas looked wonderful and I will keep them in mind for home delivery. But I was looking for a place to eat some pizza and spaghetti have a few beers with my wife and relax.

4P or Pizza and beer. you can search on gg map.

@hoaimytran127

4P's is crap

@cougarcar20

Then Pizza and Bia is the perfect place to go to.

Saigon Heat is my favourite pizza from them.

Their new premises is much larger and nicer than their original outlet.