F card after break up / divorce

Greetings everyone,

I'm non EU citizen and I have been in a relationship (not married) with my Belgian partner for 4 years 4 months (since may 2019). I've moved to Belgium in Feb 2021, when we immediately signed a rental contract in both of our names. We applied for legal cohabitation (signed in April 21), then for family reunification (got my annex 19 in July 21). I first received my orange card in October 21 and my F card only in January 22.

We have now decided to break up (after 1 year and 9 months of F card). I have a permanent work contract and I can provide for myself.

I'd like to know if I may lose my F card of if there's a way to keep my residence here?

I read other posts and I understand you need to have "3 years", but I don't understand if it's 3 years of F card, or 3 years of relationship, or of legal cohabitation... can someone please help me?

Thank you very much!

Hello,

3 years of legal cohab & inside Belgium, if I remember well... my memory is a bit shady about it, to be checked.

Now the only real important question is: do you have a job right now that allow you to support yourself.

If that's the case, not much worry, you'll have to do some administration at the commune, but you'll most probably keep your F card until the end of the 5 years of validity.

If you don't work, you're at risk.

normally you have to have a common life and cohabitation for at least 3 years and at least 1 year should be in Belgium. If you're working and you have a health insurance (mutuelle) you can normally keep your card without problem.

Hi

Like Clouderzz stated, so long as you have a permamnet work contract, yopu can keep the F card.

The state of Belgium will haount you only when you become a burden to them ( if you commit a crime, or they have to pay you social contributions like unemployment / health care benefits), but aside from that, if you can contribute to the economy ( by paying taxes, and social contributions), you are on the good side.

Just stay out of trouble, be a good citizen.

@Clouderzzz

@Clouderzzz

Hello

please do you have an idea if working with interim contract (weekly contracts) count as well?

Thanks

@Brielstar

Hi! I have no clue about interim contracts. The law states that you have to have a job or resources so in theory it should since you earn your money through that but you should always confirm that with a lawyer or an association before doing your application. I don't know every detail about it. So better consult a professional

@Clouderzzz

thanks very much

Hi peopel im in the same situation . and i do have fix contract job. if i divorce now, will i loose my right to stay here legally?

at the same time, we are still trying to make things work   just dont know what to do. and it will be good to know about the other optio

@AlexFromBelgium

I have a question hope you can help...I was married to a Belgian but divorced one year before the expiry of my F card.i applied for F+ but they denied me and said I have to apply for K card.but I was already in the process of applying for Belgian citizenship.is it allowed to apply for the nationality with the K card ?

@wipopoo88 500 % yes u have the right... but can i ask u something ? Why they refused F+. And did they give u already K card or not yet ?

@Samir Ahmed77

I applied in August because they sent me a letter to apply for F+... Today they send me an email that my F+ application was rejected but didn't give a reason. I was in the process of applying nationality,so am confused,

@Samir Ahmed77

I don't have the K card...they say I have to apply for it

@wipopoo88 is there anybody who has been through this kind of situation and can maybe help me on the way forward...

@wipopoo88 your F+ card is rejected because the condition to obtain an F+ is card to be still with your partner. Since you divorced before the expiry, they refused

@wipopoo88 i can help you . If u want we talk in watsapp

@wipopoo88 i can help you . If u want we talk in watsapp

-@Samir Ahmed77

If you can help then share on the forum so everyone benefits.

@Clouderzzz oh,ok.thanks

@Samir Ahmed77  that is great...ok.message sent.

@wipopoo88 ok cool. I got ur number . Im at work once i finish i will contact you.

@Samir Ahmed77 thank you

Hi all i have a question regarding the sane topic I would like to know what possibilities I have to keep my F visa in case my relationship comes to an end, lately I have problems with my partner so I would like to know about my possibilities, I have a job and I do not depend economically on him, our relationship will be 3 years old in May but only 1 of them living in Belgium. My question is if I have the possibility to change my type of residence or if I would have to leave the country immediately, I would not want to leave everything just because of my partner's decision to leave me. Thanks for your help. What do you recommend me to do to be more prepared?

@Stefray02sp

if you can proove 3 years of relationship in terms of living together/marriage/civil partnership + you have been living with your partner officially in Belgium for minimum 1 year, in your case you have to wait until may. Also you have to have job which is ok in your case if i understand good and finally you have to have a health insurance (mutuelle). Normally if you satisfy all that, you can keep your F card. The best idea would be prepare your file with a lawyer so that it could be more solid. Good luck!

@SimCityAT

i have this same exact situation.

my F card is expiring in 1 year (March 2025).

i was divorced after few months living with my ex husband,

but now, i am working and living on my own, ( i am also using the same F card) .

i dont know if i can apply for another resident card after this F card expires.

thanks to answer this questions:

can i apply for F+ card ?

what is a K card? what are the conditions/ requirements to obtain a K card?

thanks to answer

@Elly27 how long u lived in same adress or mariage before u changed ur adress or get divorced. Coz it depend how long ?

@Samir Ahmed77

we only lived together in Belgium for 6 months

(because of frequent domestic violence/abuse, documents were already submitted to the police authorities during the divorce proceedings)

(BUt the entire marriage lasted 6 years )

they didnt took away my F card after the divorce because victims of domestic violence are entitled to keep their F card even after divorce

(given they have a job, health insurance, and an address/ rent contract)

but now im worried because my F card is expiring in one year. how can i keep my residency in belgium?

is my Job enough to let me stay?

thanks to explain

@Elly27 its ok . U will get another F card or K card automatic... not F +

@Samir Ahmed77

thnak you. i hope it will all be okay 1f64f.svg

hello everyone.  please what about an A card holder with same issue. And lived with the partner officilay 10 years and want to separate after the A card is renewed twice.

Hello. If I have permanent contract but currently on long term sick leave,  and married for 3 years,  will I keep my f card?

@efe952

If you are already living for more than 5 years in Belgium and working on a local contract , why not apply for a L card?.

@Question-belgium dear, you have to realize inadequate information may at best lead to wrong advice. what is your context?

I have a one year card (A) after 3 months of my arrival in Belgium, my wife always abuse me so I went to the police and they told me to go leave somewhere else, my wife was given restrictions from staying seeing me, she came begging that she has changed, now she started fighting and abusing me again. Giving me injury every moment.

What is my chances of renewing my paper after a divorce?