Introduction for Vikings1

Hello Everyone,

I am Mark and my wife and I are planning to build a small home live in the Lovina area. 

Research first.

Building is no problem, but what land will you build on?

After that, it's visa type.

The land was presented to us by a local friend.  We are in the process of having the land inspected and the plans drawn to our rough outlines. 

Define 'presented'.

If it's a lease of some sort, your only real worries are building permits and dodgy builders.

One is mostly annoying paperwork, the other solved by checking prices carefully and watching them like hawks - especially electricians and plumbers.

If you own the land, that could well be a big problem as it's very likely illegal.

Yes, this will be a lease.  We will also have our local friend to keep us informed of the progress of the building. 

I greatly appreciate your pointers.  My wife is the one who is knowledgeable to an extent about Visas. 

A lease is perfectly legal so that's a very common problem you're safe from.

Watch out of dodgy craftsmen, especially electricians. Many 'know a bit about it' and set up shop. These are positively dangerous.

A bloke I used to work with killed himself that way. Another crap one started the house wiring for us. I kicked the useless bugger out when I saw him rough twist jointing wires that were to be buried into a wall.

I ripped the lot out and did the job properly.

Also, make lighting and power outlets are on separate breakers - They normally don't bother.

As for plumbers - Ouch! Just watch them making joints.