Expat Inquiry - Apartment Rentals Availabiltiy in Medellin

I am a retired US senior citizen, single (widow of 10 years) moving to somewhere in Latin America. I lived in Guadalajara, MX for 6 years in the 80s and I still speak a better than basic conversational Spanish. Guadalajara is very expensive, at least for me, and I am exploring other possibilities. I would like to know if the following is in the realm of reality😊

My budget for renting an apartment is max at 550 USD but lower would be nicer (if possible). In which neighborhoods are simple, clean  1 bedroom (2 BR?) available in a safe neighborhood. I will not have a car so I would like to be reasonably “near even” to have access to multiple public transport (if that makes sense). I am comfortable in  Spanish speaking environment.  I am thinking of paying for a guide  - no I'm not jumping into the first car that comes along - to walk the neighborhood streets or cab ride around in my search.

MANY thanks to all who respond. Que amable son todos 

@Johnny Earl

I can and have done so for much less. But, I am not sure what you feel is "safe" I stay in 12 de Octubre in Medellin and have only seen one other Gringo in that neighborhood. Previous to my marriage to a Colombiana I would often rent a room. This provided me with all the tourist guides I needed and was generally carefully guarded by my landlords. The side benefits were company when desired, someone willing to cook, launder, and clean for a very reasonable fee. But, I am out and about when awake and basically needed a nice bed and hot shower. I had to buy the bed and the suicide shower head and a lock for my room. But if you are not that daring you can get along well on that as rental budget. Just google "apartastudio en arriendo Medellin" Good luck.

As far as transportation cabs are cheap and the metro is cheaper. Try to locate dwelling within a block of a Metro Cable station a little way up the side of the valley.

lpd

Envigado or Sabanetta i live in Envigado 3 bedroom walk up 4thh floor.

Safe neighborhood Dorado

Do you speak spanish?

Walk around plenty of signs, go into the big buidings in Sabanetta abot 15 min walk from metro speak to the doormen, offer a tip to help connect you

two great neighborhoods plenty of for rent, you can also go into any local real estate agency and pay 6 months in advance, youll have to furnish it but that pays for itself, furnished units out of control

Would be glad to jump on a quick call with you and give you any thoughts that my help.  There are a lot of great places to live in Colombia, and great people!  Medellin, has some amazing areas, depending on what you are looking for specifically.  Or if you are looking into other areas of Colombia as well, you should find what you are looking for.   The amount you mentioned should not be a problem. 

@MioJax  Thank you. Your location provides Jacksonville, Fl. Can you briefly  tell me how you have gained your knowledge about Medellin and Columbia.

@Johnny Earl yes, sure.

I went to Colombia the first time in 1994, it was for a 2-week stent in Cali.  From there I fell in love with the country and its people, and pretty much have traveled to Colombia every year since. the past 7 years I usually stay in Colombia a total of 4-6 months a year.  A lot of that time in Medellin and surrounding areas.  Last year I stayed 13 months and just returned in May of this year.  My favorite parts of Medellin are, 2 mentioned above, Envigado (or to the locals Envigao! 1f923.svg1f605.svg Ja, Ja, Ja) and Sabaneta, both more family-oriented areas. But depending on what you are looking for they may not be great for you.  A lot of Americas and Expats from all over like Laureles and or Poblado, more Americanized area and higher cost of living, overall.

I have been working on living in Colombia and Mexico, working also in my real estate adventures.  I have different friends and projects in Medellin, Manizales, Pereria, Barranquilla, Cartagena, and Villeta.

If I can be of service to you, I would be glad to help.  I have been a member here for years, but I have not contributed much, because most of the conversations were not so engaging for me.  However, I believe I need to be more of service to others in Colombia. I would be honored to speak with you and help others as well, especially if they have a love for Colombia and its people.

Best,

Scott (Alan in Spanish 1f602.svg1f60a.svg)

@lunamick Yes I speak a conversant Spanish.

@MioJax What is Bucaramanga like?  Could a retiree live off of  $1,500 a month in Envigado and Sabaneta ?

@Johnny EarlThen walk around the good neighborhoods. call the phone numbers on the apts with signs or go into to buildings, offer the poetros a few bucks if they connect you to an apartment you rent, just my tips good luck

Could a retiree live off of  $1,500 a month in Envigado and Sabaneta ? 

You could but imho it would be tight, we are talking apt unfurnished between 500 and 700 doable. you have to furnish it. you could probably find an airbb for 700 furnished but not my cup of tea, a good one would be 800 to 1200.  Depends on your lifestyle , but 800 a month for food and essentials is probaby doable, more likely in a estrato 3 or 2 or a pueblo, just my opinion not fact   good luck