Your neighbours in Jordan

Hello everyone,

When you move in Jordan, relationships with your neighbours can play a vital role in your well-being and integration. Share your experiences of the interactions and routines that punctuate your daily life in Jordan:

Tell us about your relationships with your neighbours in Jordan. Do you have any anecdotes to share, moments of solidarity or community initiatives that have touched you?

Are there any specific customs or cultural norms to be respected between neighbours? For example, is it normal to introduce yourself to your neighbours and invite them over when you move in Jordan?

Do you have any tips or advice for fostering good neighbourly relations in Jordan? How do you deal with the differences and diversities that can exist within the community?

Are there any initiatives to organise activities between neighbours, whether official events or spontaneous gatherings?

Are your neighbours expats or locals? How does this influence your experience in Jordan?

By sharing your experiences, you enrich everyone's understanding of life in Jordan and help many people to plan their life abroad.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

@Cheryl

Personally, I do not "know" any of my neighbours. Neighborhood today, has become like it was in Europe in the 80s. I lived abroad for decades and did not expect this in the Arab world, with all my respect to everyone.

If I happen to see a neighbour by the main door or at by lift, he/she might/might not say: "Good morning." Too bad, is all I can say.

As I am the only (known by me) foreigner in the neighborhood, everyone knows me but I don't know them.

I used to socialize with some female neighbours but they are all gone now.

The new ones don't even bother to introduce themselves.

Depending in which area you live, the opposite gender will not greet you but you can start first with a smile and say something in Arabic, if you master some phrases.

Don't expect that the other one starts first.

@Primadonna Hello dear, thank you so much for the information and I will use it wisely when I get there, it will be nice to meet you there.

I for one, have tried it, However, nothing is working, regretfully.  Unfortunately, neighborhood is not what it was in the past. Therefore, it becomes harder to get to know people and to make friends.

Personally, I am suffering loneliness due to the above.