Is Pecs a good place to retire for Americans ?

Is Pécs a good place to retire as an american couple?

Is Pécs a good place to retire as an american couple?

-@angelarobbins

Rather than keep creating new threads on a similar subject, why not stick to one and fill us in a bit on your circumstances?

US and HU citizens?   Ages?  Interests?

As I suggest to anyone, visit first. Rent somewhere and have that as a base and visit as many different areas as possible.

What someone likes might not be your taste.

I spent months looking for my property and that was me knowing the area. After finding it, I visited it during the day and night to make sure.   

@SimCityAT

we do have 2 dogs, so renting is hard for us. I  was hoping to get some information from people who retired there.

@SimCityAT
we do have 2 dogs, so renting is hard for us. I  was hoping to get some information from people who retired there.

-@angelarobbins

Some places will let you have dogs.  You could put them in kennels back home and spend a month in the area having a look around.

If I remember correctly, a "dog hotel" costs about 20K HUF a week here plus food.  Dogs need to be vaccinated for "kennel cough" and all the usual - rabies etc.  We put our dog in the "dog motel" quite often.  Our dog is happy to go and be with other dogs.

I was always under the impression that Pecs was a collage town.

Loads of young uni students living there.

It's south in Hungary and seems to get hotter in the summer then say closer to Budapest.

It is best to check out a place before committing yourself.

To retire somewhere you should consider your age, physical ablities and know whatever limits you have are only going to grow as you get on in years.

If you have bed knees, don't buy on the top floor of a building without a lift in the house etc.

Getting to and from shops without anyone to help you is something to think about.

How close to hospitals or activites, can you get around later if you can longer drive yourself?

I know  so many people who had big dreams and bought properties and later found their physical abilties not up to par.

Not even just in HUngary but in the states as well.

My freind is artisitc and loves the high desert.

She had lived in the city with a nice home with swimming pool, close to her doctors( she is in a wheelchair) and shops and restuarants were close by in Las Vegas.

She sold and moved to her dream place in the high desert.

Now it's a nightmare, her physical condition is worst and it takes a good hour each way to get any medical help.

No ambulances go out where she lives, it would only be a medi-chopper.

Her husband's health has gone down and he is her only way of getting anywhere.

Her case is extreme but it's best to consider every possiblity.

They do have nice all inclusive flats in Hungary for seniors.

Not all are for low income people, some are very  nice with loads of activies.

Not sure about your ages but time marches on and no one is getting any younger.

In Vegas when I was under the age limit we lived in a senior aged building.

My husband had just turned 55 and we got in the building through that.

It was really one of the most peaceful places we ever lived.

Nice pool, exercise room, public space for seeing movies and playing card games.

I would move to a senior building again.

No one wants to push a lawn mower around or worry about hosue repairs when they get on in years.

Let someone else do it. These places do except pets .

My neighbr was in her 80's in Ca. She was able to hire a lawn crew, a pool man and repair people to fix anything broken in  her home.

It's too expensive these days to hire a staff of helpers if you have a large property.

Sad to say being super able to do adventures is for the very young.

@Marilyn Tassy

thank you so much.  yes, we do live in a 55 community here in the states. what are they called in hungary? how can i look them up ?

@Marilyn Tassy
thank you so much.  yes, we do live in a 55 community here in the states. what are they called in hungary? how can i look them up ?

-@angelarobbins

We looked up retirement homes in Hungary.

A map came up and it seems they have many places throughout HUngary. A few in Pecs as well.

They are either, non-profit,religous,gov. or private run .

The site was :

nyugdijasotthon.hu

Also you can look under:

Idosek Otthona

Prices were not listed.

Some are independant living and others are specialzed for medical issues.

Thank you so much .

Is Pécs a good place to retire as an american couple?        -@angelarobbins

You know, we aren't so sure if we could have a redo if we would of thought about retiring in Hungary after all.

We sort of fell into buying a flat here.

A house would of been nice with a garden but at the time we were not yet retired and didn't wish to leave a house empty for months to years. Too much to worry about with a house.

Much easier to just lock the door to an apt. and not worry about weeds growing or fences falling over, roof repairs etc.

Now that we are offically retired, a house would of been nice.

We only purchased this flat thinking at the time it was a temp. way to have a vacation place ready whenever we wanted to visit Hungary. Never thought we'd live here full time.

If one of you doesn't speak Hungarian that limits some relationships with HU friends.

I'm used to not understanding what's going on ( worked with the public most of my working days and never understod anyone even when they speak Englsih, people can be strange)

Long story but the person in the relationship who can't speak the language can feel shut out and get down about it.

I'm past that stage but I know it's common.

Living in a senior complex would mean that most of the other residents are only Hungarian speakers. The more out of the bigger cities you go, the less likely anyone speaks English.

It could become an issue if you have health issues etc.

Many frustrations can happen.

Strange story, in 2000 we rented a villa at lake Velence from a friend of a friend.

Nice area that was peaceful.

I used to sun myself in the back yard when we were not at the lake.

One day I heard 2 neighbors from the back speaking in English.

It was hard not to listen in, they spoke a  bit loud and I had nothing else to do but tune in.

It was an American retired women and her Hungarian husband/BF ?

Over a week or so they sat outside at the same time I was sunning myself.

Got to know a bit of their story. In fact I was considiring walking over and introducing myself but after hearing them converse more I decided they weren't people i really wanted to get chummy with.

She was miserable, that was the first reason I thought of going over, maybe she was just lonely?

No, she disliked everything about Hungary. They were sharing the house with another HU couple and she the American women hated everything about everyone.

She complained abut not knowing what was going on all the time.

They were from the east coast of the US, could tell by her NY accent.

I know they had moved to stay but by the conversations. I think she was ready to pack it up and head back home.

The man was going on about how she used to like it in HU but since coming over to stay she was upset everyday.

I changed my mind about going over when I heard her laugh for the first time. She was not exactly a nice sounding person, she luaghed about how in the US she used to walk her dog and knowing her neighbor was at work , she'd let her dog do it's business on their lawn and leave it.

Like revenge or something evil.

So saying that, sometimes even if people speak your language, are the same age range as you and it seems you have so much in common, it's not always true.

In fact we know at least 2 couples still living in Budapest , both are Hungarian couples with both HU and US citizenship.

One couple my 76 year old husband has known since he was a teenager. I know them well too. Knew them in Ca. and the mved over within a few years of when we did to Hungary. Another couple I only know the husband, he was the best man at our wedding. I will have nothing to do with either couple these days.

People don't change, they just drop the front they often have.

Just saying it's not always easy to fit in here and if one of you only speaks English and you wish to make HU friends it's not going to be easy.

Most ex-pat couples seem to be either both HU or both outsiders, sometimes the mix of HU and other doesn't mix well here. Someone will have to give more to make a smooth transistion.

Be ready to feel like an outsiders even if you are Hungarian.

My husband often feels other Hungarians pulling back when they hear he lived in the US. They all think he is crazy to have moved back here.

In fact they all believe if you're from the US you must be a secret millionair.

Just a word to the wise... I'm far from wise but have experienced a few odd things over the years.

@Marilyn Tassy

We would live in Hungary for financial reason. We are prepared for not finding english speaking friends, we are pretty much friendless here too. We live in California and tge prices are very high here. We also have enough of crimes, drugs and homeless people here.

@Marilyn Tassy We would live in Hungary for financial reason. We are prepared for not finding english speaking friends, we are pretty much friendless here too. We live in California and tge prices are very high here. We also have enough of crimes, drugs and homeless people here.        -@angelarobbins

You can find all the above here to but not in such a large mass.

Drugs,homeless and crime.

I have been phsyically attacked here several times over the years.

I was walking on crutches post knee surgery and had a Gypsy man  with a women try to unzip my crossbody handbag. He was rather surprised when I beat him with a crutch.

Another time some very odd acting young man, pushed my husband in the chest inside an Aldi store. He did some odd katate kid type move with his figertips , looked like some maked up move to stop a persons heart. I jumped the guy and shouted so loud that the store went still for a second. No one helped, not even the secutiry guard.My husband pushed back but after I went nuts he hid in the back of the store until we left. He looked like a shoplifter at first, walking around in a daze without a handbasket.

Another time an old man grabbed my wrist and tried to pull me down the tram stairs faster so he could get on. Last stop, no one was going anywhere anytime soon. I had to hit him with my umbrella.

Got my bottom pinched a few times, once was just 4 weeks ago inside a store. OK, I'm fit for my age but getting assaulted at age 68 is a bit off putting. The other time a women grabbed my bottom inside a Tesco. That was very werid.She smiled and I walked away speachless.... I'm a rather unasuming, slim, weak looking person too, not looking for any troulbes with anyone.

Off topiic, sorry.Just the most unexpected things seems to happen here with us.

My bro still lives in Ca. and I know it's gotten crazy expensive there.

Been a busy week here but soon we really must go into the IRS and ask about the new upcoming tax laws between HU and the USA.

It could mean being taxed for hundreds of dollars each month.That would undo any savings of moving here if they tax , a double sort of tax.

Income is taxed here in HU and if they call US SS an income they may tax it at the going rate of 27% or so! That would be a killer.

Suppose to start this upcoming Jan.2024.

It's just strange for us to know people. people who spent holidays having dinner at my mother's home in Ca.  spent time at our home and had a small business with us and realizing we never really knew them until they moved back to Hungary.

Social climbers  of sorts.

The HU guy who was at our wedding is now married to a very, very wealthy HU women and lives in Buda. He only invites us over for holidays like July 4th so he can use us as his American connection, so silly we just never bther with these old fake people.

The other couple are so petty, they will not cross the large Blvd over to our neighborhood, they are too good for it. What a joke.

If they don't change the tax laws then it is really still overall a good deal here.

I was very ill 2 years ago. Almost died here.

Anyways after that I know things can go in a direction you never planned on when retiring overseas.

My husband speaks Hungarian, was born here but for me if anything should happen to him, I'm in deep water here. Never really thought much about it before until I got ill and saw how difficult this system is here.

You need a translatr to check in at many medical clinics, even if the doctor speaks English . They have a sign at the front ceck -in at our local medical center saying to bring a translator.

One person will have to depend on the other for many things.Your independance is somewhat lost if you can't speak Hungarian.

We hang by ourselves these days don't seek out any social connections.

It's fine we are always very busy as it is.

We looked up retirement homes in Hungary.A map came up and it seems they have many places throughout HUngary. A few in Pecs as well.They are either, non-profit,religous,gov. or private run .The site was :nyugdijasotthon.huAlso you can look under:Idosek OtthonaPrices were not listed.Some are independant living and others are specialzed for medical issues.    -@Marilyn Tassy

I found that web site quite useful.  It mirrors what Mrs Fluffy is dealing with for her mother who is in her late 70s.  But it's not communities for over 55s who are independent. What's listed are care homes really with nurses and so on.   I'm 63 and we wouldn't want to live in a care home and we're still physically active, go to work and have kids at home etc.  But I could imagine living in a quieter kind of community where I could do my own thing.   Don't know where those are in HU.

As for pricing, for care homes or more accurately supervising living, the pricing we see for the MIL is usually something like 3M HUF upfront and then 80% of pension per month. My MIL is a former teacher so has a quite basic pension but has property which would need to be sold.   

It surprises me that some of theses places have 100s of residents and even  full time doctors on site.  Really large operations.

Near us, there's a former private (and expensive) hospital which is now a care home.  It's in Telki - click here (might be blocked outside of HU).   If the OPs are English speaking only, it's going to be a struggle as it's almost certain they won't speak English to any degree. 

@fluffy2560

My husband and I are both nurses. Carehomes here in California cost 7000$ a month, they only take private pay. I had my own care home here before. My parents were running it with me and comitted fraud to me

Man at those rates, I'd have to off myself if I couldn't care for myself.

Just kidding.

I'd defo move back to the US and let the gov.deal with taking care of me. They'd probably give me an OD and that's the end of the story. ( Not saying older people in care homes weren't the first to go during covid but ...)

I don't trust any of these places.

Like my mother used to say, no way did she want anyone washing her up and feeding her.

She'd rather not be around for the s@@@ show.

My grandmother was seriously ill in the 1930's.

They took care of her at home, even got to the point where they tied her to the bed as she was out of her mind.

No one these days has the time or energy to take care of their own.

This is a rather depressing topic.

Our old neighbor was super active in her late 70's.

We'd go out dancing with her.

In her early 80's she just sort of went down hard.

Gained allot of weight and got so weak and heavy that she was apt. bound.

They lived on the 3rd floor and she couldn't get up or down the stairs.

She'd often have to call for medics to come over and do routine check ups on her because she couldn't get out to the doctors office.

Her daughter lived with her and did everything for her mother, even had their bathtub redone so she could use a door to get in and out.

She did all the shopping, cooking and bought new furniture so her mother was always comfy.

Her mom, died and over these last 4-5 year it's hard seeing her daughter all alone.

She is nothing but skin and bones these days, doesn't take care of herself.

Goes 3 hours away every month or two to spend days in their old village to sit and visit her mom's grave. I'ts down right sad and disturbing.

She had looked into care homes before her mother passed but couldn't bring herself to put her in one.

Hard to say what's best, lock yourself away or be a burden on the family.

My mother used to pride herself on doing things her way.

She was ill although fairly  young still, only 67.

She sold her home moved over 500 miles away so people like me wouldn't know what she was up to. Told all her doctors she was done with them and let herself just pass away.

The last thing she could ever take is paying someone to clean up after her and steal all her money with sub par care.

I  can see where people make packs with each other to make sure they don't find themselves drooling all over themselves in a care home.

Yikes terrible topic...

Man at those rates, I'd have to off myself if I couldn't care for myself.

Just kidding.

I'd defo move back to the US an d let the gov.deal with taking care of me. They'd probably give me an OD and that's the end of the story.

I don't trust any of these places.

Like my mother used to say, no way did she want anyone washing her up and feeding her.

She'd rather not be around for the s@@@ show.

My grandmother was seriously ill in the 1930's.

They took care of her at home, even got to the point where they tied her to the bed as she was out of her mind.

No one these days has the time or energy to take care of their own.

This is a rather depressing topic.

Our old neighbor was super active in her late 70's.

We'd g out dancing with her.

In her early 80's she just sort of went down hard.

Gained allot of weight and got so weak and heavy that she was apt. bound.

They lived on the 3rd floor and she couldn't get up or dwn the stairs.

She'd often have to call for medics to come over and do routine check ups on her because she couldn't get out to the doctors office.

Her daughter lived with her and did everything for her mother, even had their bathtub redone so she could use a door to get in and out.

She did all the shopping, cooking and bought new furniture so her mother was always comfy.

Her mom, died and over these last 4-5 year it's hard seeing her daughter all alone.

She is nthing but skin and bones these days, doesn't take care of ehrself.

Goes 3 hours away every mothn or two to spend days in their old village to sit and visit her mom's grave. I'ts down right sad and disturbing.

She had looked into care homes before her mother passed but couldn't bring herself to put her in one.

Hard to say what's best, lock yoourself away or be a burden on the family.

My mother used to pride herself on doing things her way.

She was ill although fairly  young still, only 67.

She sold her home moved over 500 miles away so people like me wouldn't know what she was up to. Told all her doctors she was done with them and let herself just pass away.

The last thing she could ever take is paying someone to clean up after her and steal all her money with sub par care.

I  can see where people make packs with each other to make sure they don't find themselves drooling all over themselves in a care home.

Yikes terrible topic...

@fluffy2560
My husband and I are both nurses. Carehomes here in California cost 7000$ a month, they only take private pay. I had my own care home here before. My parents were running it with me and comitted fraud to me

-@angelarobbins

That's the same kind of pricing back at my mothership (UK).   

It is possible to get the government to pay there (UK) but I cannot see that as possible in HU.

The price of 80% of pension makes it feasible (if they really mean that)  BUT we understand it as a fixed arrangement for only 3 years. 

What happens afterwards, no idea.  Maybe another 3M HUF and start again.

I think government pension is less than HUF 200K a month.

@fluffy2560My husband and I are both nurses. Carehomes here in California cost 7000$ a month, they only take private pay. I had my own care home here before. My parents were running it with me and comitted fraud to me        -@angelarobbinsThat's the same kind of pricing back at my mothership (UK).    It is possible to get the government to pay there (UK) but I cannot see that as possible in HU.The price of 80% of pension makes it feasible (if they really mean that)  BUT we understand it as a fixed arrangement for only 3 years.  What happens afterwards, no idea.  Maybe another 3M HUF and start again.I think government pension is less than HUF 200K a month.        -@fluffy2560

My MIL passed about 14 years ago, her SS at the time was over $750. per month. High for the time but she got a bit extra because her husband had been a POW. She also worked many years.

I know they seem to give increases to seniors here often, just barely enough though to help with inflation.

Our neighbor still gets her monthly SS payment the old fashioned  way, the post man delivers it in cash to her door.

We chatted with the butcher inside Tesco.

He said he brings home about $750. per month after taxes.

Not much for a butcher.

I knew a really pretty lady in the 80's at my gym who worked as a butcher. You'd never guess it by her looks but she was in a butchers union and made  bank.

No unions here it seems.

The thing for Americans to consider now is that stupid agreement between the US and HU. Really bothering me not knowing what is going to happen if anything in Jan.

On $3,000 per month that could be a differnce of over $700. or more per month less.

If that goes down then I'd reconsider  not moving here,not worth it then.

If it goes down we will probably move.

I'd rather go home.

@Marilyn Tassy 

I am a hospice nurse and believe in dying with dignity. Do they have hospice in hungary?

@fluffy2560My husband and I are both nurses. Carehomes here in California cost 7000$ a month, they only take private pay. I had my own care home here before. My parents were running it with me and comitted fraud to me        -@angelarobbinsThat's the same kind of pricing back at my mothership (UK).    It is possible to get the government to pay there (UK) but I cannot see that as possible in HU.The price of 80% of pension makes it feasible (if they really mean that)  BUT we understand it as a fixed arrangement for only 3 years.  What happens afterwards, no idea.  Maybe another 3M HUF and start again.I think government pension is less than HUF 200K a month.        -@fluffy2560My MIL passed about 14 years ago, her SS at the time was over $750. per month. High for the time but she got a bit extra because her husband had been a POW. She also worked many years.I know they seem to give increases to seniors here often, just barely enough though to help with inflation.Our neighbor still gets her monthly SS payment the old fashioned  way, the post man delivers it in cash to her door.We chatted with the butcher inside Tesco.He said he brings home about $750. per month after taxes.Not much for a butcher.I knew a really pretty lady in the 80's at my gym who worked as a butcher. You'd never guess it by her looks but she was in a butchers union and made  bank.No unions here it seems.The thing for Americans to consider now is that stupid agreement between the US and HU. Really bothering me not knowing what is going to happen if anything in Jan.On $3,000 per month that could be a differnce of over $700. or more per month less.If that goes down then I'd reconsider  not moving here,not worth it then.If it goes down we will probably move.I'd rather go home.        -@Marilyn Tassy

US nursing qualifications probably not recognised in HU if in retirement,  there would be options for a side hustle at a private clinic.

Anyhoo, yes, $750 for pension is on the high side.  My MIL's cannot be more than that. 

The 3 years might be a reset to do with deterioration of the individual.  My MIL has dementia and of course, it's a one way street. Maybe the care costs jump from a 3M HUF upfront to say 6M HUF.  No idea but it's a question to ask.  Dementia will kill someone in about 8-10 years so there could  be at least two cycles of 3M HUF (or more).  She's been diagnosed at least 2 years but probably cannot go on more than 1 year more on her own.

The DTT (Double Taxation Agreement) USA-HU will put the kibosh on USA folk living in HU and receiving income from the USA.  As the DTT expires at the end of the year, it's pushing it all very 11th hour stuff.   

OV is sticking to his guns publicly as far as I know. But he must have someone negotiating behind the scenes. It would be insane not to do that.   

Or he could just not care as he's putting his money on Putin and it doesn't really affect many people but it could seriously affect business and investment from the USA.

The way things are going, HU is going to become isolated like Belarus.  A pariah but OV will retain power which is the only thing that is really important to him. 

We're not that far gone yet but once OV has no oversight from the EU, OECD, NATO or any other international organisation or peer countries, he'll be free to go full autocrat and  rule in perpetuity.

We might be saved like Poland saved itself but there are no guarantees about that.   I'm encouraging my kids to vote.  Younger people actually voting instead of being apathetic is what unexpectedly saved Poland. Shame they didn't feel the same level of interest in Slovakia.

@fluffy2560

I think if Trump wins in 2024  Hungary will benefit.  Hungary is admired here for the strict border rules, low numbers of illegal immigrants. America has a lot of problems, Biden really harmed the country.

@fluffy2560
I think if Trump wins in 2024  Hungary will benefit.  Hungary is admired here for the strict border rules, low numbers of illegal immigrants. America has a lot of problems, Biden really harmed the country.

-@angelarobbins

Don't get the wrong impression of what passes on Fox News as a Hungarian utopia.

I cannot see Trump caring one jot for Hungary.  Whatever the rhetoric and spin in the USA, the reality is quite different when one lives in Hungary.  It's only a matter of convenience for Trump to support Orban.

There aren't any illegal immigrants in Hungary.  I prefer to call them undocumented migrants or refugees.   Anyone who is an economic migrant isn't going to hang around in Hungary, they are going to where the money is and that isn't Hungary.   It's Germany, Austria and beyond.

As you are new here, you will need to know that Mrs Fluffy and I are left of centre liberals, throughly against Orban and Trump. They are both crooks.  Moreover, we believe they are existential threats to European democracy and security.  Trump will kiss Putin's ass and Orban will sell out anyone to stay in power.   In any case, maybe Trump will get the nomination but it might be hard  for the Teflon Don to govern from a jail.  We can only hope either of them are out of it by then one way or another.

The migrants we see are mainly Chinese.  They are everywhere now.  Hungary is even importing labour from Indonesia to drive buses.  I'm generally OK with that stuff.  More diversity the better. LGBT+ etc.   

Meanwhile, many of the HU intelligensia (mainly city dwellers) have left.  What is left are the dregs - right wing manipulated sheeple.  There is population decline which Orban has tried (and failed) to stop.   

For some years, we've been thinking of going ourselves.  Our kids are saying they don't want to live under an oppressive regime.   They are saying planning to leave themselves.  We know there's more freedom elsewhere - we can just feel it when we travel.

One day I'm a lefty and another I'm a righty.

Fair is fair, in the middle, sitting on a fence.

It's true my husband says only idiots are left in Hungary.Or crimmies....

That's cruel I know but at age 76 he no longer pulls any punches.

He has stopped cold turkey talking to one of our neighbors.

She is so stupid he just said he can no longer lower himself to talk to her.

I had no idea he cut her out and I seem to run into her at Aldi often. I was wondering why she won't say hi to me, although she is a bit deaf...( Typical American me, always giving someone the benefit of the doubt)

We used to want our son to move here but now see it would be a nightmare for him.

He's too old to fit in a uni and too ,"silly,sweet American" to play the gmaes that go on.

He's in Japan and I overall feel he is fine there.

Hungary would eat him up alive.

As my husband always said Hungary isn't for people who are ,"doers".

In the US within a year he had everything he ever dreamed of owning in Hungary.

A car, nice clothing, a decent job, savings and most important for a young man, a good stereo.

People here overall are still a bit on the ,"needy" side and don't care who they run over to get what they want.

@fluffy2560

Biden destroyed America .

@fluffy2560Biden destroyed America .        -@angelarobbins

I'm not an American so whatever is going over there domestically is not of much interest.

But from a European perspective on foreign policy and defence, Trump and his cronies are not people you want in charge.   

In HU itself, if you view Orban as a person who is to be admired and this is somehow a reason to move to Hungary, you are way behind the times and a victim of media BS.

Word on the HU street, he's universally hated and everyone wants the guy gone.  Few people will admit now to supporting him.  Many used to be supporters but the economics are dire and everyone is sick to death of the divisive language. 

His latest "enemy" is the EU but if he tries to BS people to want HUexit,  my view is that it could lead to civil unrest.   No-one wants that.

It's always the same - politicians get  more and more desperate as they run out of ideas, get stale and resort to extremism.  It's not the way forward so people will vote for change.

@fluffy2560

Be careful what you wsh.  LGBQT turned into a nightmare here. Sex change surgery is a big market here .  Young children are taught in school about. They are told to identify . with the other   sex at young ages

@fluffy2560Be careful what you wsh.  LGBQT turned into a nightmare here. Sex change surgery is a big market here .  Young children are taught in school about. They are told to identify . with the other   sex at young ages        -@angelarobbins

If you think Hungary is an anti-LGBT paradise, you are misinformed.   Don't come to Hungary with any open bigotry, it wouldn't be welcomed by the locals.  There's a really big difference between the countryside people and the city dwellers.  If you live in the sticks, you might find people are mainly interested in day to day survival.  City wise, people are more educated but many unable to read international media to obtain a balanced view.  Meanwhile, Hungary's LGBT policies are becoming ridiculous but are now verging on dangerously extremist.  This makes HU get the cold shoulder amongst EU countries.     

OV has made the country intolerant (i.e. Trump like) which says a lot about how easy it is to  manipulate the HU population (or the US).  If another government comes in with opposing views, all that OV BS will be reversed but it will take probably 2 parliaments to re-normalise.

As I said, I'm a left of centre liberal, so I'm all for LGBT freedoms and I support all people's ability to reach their self-actualisation.  And I support the teaching of diversity in schools.  I don't mind my kids being taught about differences in people.  They know what they are anyway.

@fluffy2560

The suicde rate is rising after sex change surgeries. Body mutalisations are performed with horrible outcomes. Males acting as women are in female bathrooms. Again be careful what you wish for.My daughter is gay, she campaigned for Trump and against transgender surgery. one of her friend committed suicide post surgery.

@fluffy2560The suicde rate is rising after sex change surgeries. Body mutalisations are performed with horrible outcomes. Males acting as women are in female bathrooms. Again be careful what you wish for.My daughter is gay, she campaigned for Trump and against transgender surgery. one of her friend committed suicide post surgery.        -@angelarobbins

Well, sorry about all it but I'm unmoved by any of that.  It's not a raft of persuasive arguments.

Mrs Fluffy and I want to live,  and we want our kids to live, in a tolerant society full of diversity.

At the moment, Hungary is not the place for that thinking unfortunately.   But most other countries in the EU have more developed mindsets and are more tolerant and inclusive.   EU is currently keeping Hungary in check. 

Mrs F is telling me that if Hungary votes to leave the EU, we should leave.  It's been on our minds for some time.  OV is ramping up the BS on that these days.

I don't want to leave as I hope for change but if the  kids go because they cannot stand it or think there is no hope, I don't see why we would want to stay.

@fluffy2560

Sex change surgery will take over as a money market. It's a horrible story here. Has nothing to do with tolerance. I am a nurse,I know what hormone therapy can do to a body. Its irreversable but agan its a money market

@fluffy2560Sex change surgery will take over as a money market. It's a horrible story here. Has nothing to do with tolerance. I am a nurse,I know what hormone therapy can do to a body. Its irreversable but agan its a money market        -@angelarobbins

Sorry, I don't care and why should you?  It's really not your business what people do to themselves.   If people want to do that, then that's up to them.  It's their body, their decision. 

It's no different to Kim Kardashian and her very improbable derriere and generally obscure physical appearance. 

Anyway, people in the USA and other countries generally want to circumcise their male  children when babies.  They might argue for hygiene but it looks to many like genital mutilation.  What's the difference between any of these procedures?

BUT we are woefully off-topic.  If you want to continue arguing the toss, best to take it to the "Absolutely Anything Else" thread where nothing is off-topic.

@fluffy2560

It definetly is my busness to prevent harmfull things being done to young people. Dont understand your I dont care attitue. Its not appropriate at all and sounds childsh.

I know my deceased sister was on steriods to help her asthma condition. She freaked out on nthem, Had hairs starting to grow on her chin and was emotionally off while on them.

I can imgine how many drugs someone with a sex change has to take.

Horrible to have to feel you need to change your outward apperance.

Everyone is beautiful and perfect in their own way ,the way they were born.

Society has twisted people to think they aren't perfect the way God made them.

I never had my son,"cut" in fact the day they cut all the baby boys on Maui in the hospital, we new moms could hear them crying from down the hall. Small hospital.

I felt totally at peace knowing my boy wasn't one of those crying.

My mother had strict rules about even getting our ears pieced .

We had to leave her home if we wanted to do even that.

IDK why people feel the need to improve what is natural.

I do dye my hair, but I know all is vanity.

@Marilyn Tassy

Psychiatrist tell young people they might have sex identy crisis, those are working with pharma and surgeons.

Don't start me on psyho psychatrists!

I was a shy innocent 12 year old who still played with dolls when my parents took me to see one.I was having issues with how strict they were and they thought I was a handful.

So, I'm sitting in the office waiting for the doc to enter.

He comes in and the frist thing he says to me is,"How's your sex life"!

WTH? What sort of idiot says that to a child?

I decided right then and there he was a jerk and wasn't about to open up with him at all.

Never told my parents until years later what he said.

Freaks in white coats.

@fluffy2560
It definetly is my busness to prevent harmfull things being done to young people. Dont understand your I dont care attitue. Its not appropriate at all and sounds childsh.

-@angelarobbins

Yes, bah humbug.

As I said, we're off topic. 

Take it to Absolutely Anything Else if you want to engage further on the subject.

@angelarobbins Indeed as mentioned as Fluffy totally off topic, really should not be here, perhaps another thread, but I hate these topics conceptually. I mentioned earlier, you could be a difficult person on the forum. Welcome to Hungary, just spend you money, do not complain too much, enjoy life and die in Hungary (convenient).

DO NOT BE DIFFICULT

@cdw057

and who are you again …..

for sure a very rude person

Please stop the bullying

@angelarobbins Thanks, for the compliment. I have a contributor for many, many years and I lived in Hungary for many years. Some of the members have a good positive input and feedback (I do not always agree, but in a good atmosphere)

The moderators are good and I saw one post of yours has been deleted (I do not know of course what it was about as I did not see it)

In general I am very friendly and I intend to be, but I (me being arrogant) think I see when people become annoyance.

Why, why do you not investigate life in Hungary (taxes, shopping, daily annoyances, water, electricty, residency permit, repairs, cost of living).

It is not on being rude, it is about Hungary and life, so many, many things which can be found on this forum with VERY good members

Good luck anyhow, but do your research. Again USD 3000 pm is more than enough to have a comfortable life.

As a PS I will going on being nasty with nasty posts

I love Hungary and sometimes I regret that I left for Turkey (but also very good things here)

@angelarobbins More than enough and good care at a reasonabe prices (Nemesbuk (close to Heviz) for I think EUR 2 K full service.