Thinking of relocating to Ghana/Accra

@Julien I am Jimmy a 70 year old single man from Scotland🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. I am presently speaking to a lady from Accra and am thinking of visiting over Christmas with a view of doing a Recce re locating to there. Any advice, contacts etc would be appreciated. I had heard that the cost of living there is less than the UK which is great when living off of your pensions. But I am concerned with healthcare and medication as I do require certain tablets and I wonder if there is any problems in acquiring medication. I am ex HM Forces so have been to other parts of Africa and loved them, I hope that Ghana is as welcoming as it appears to be. Nice to have this opportunity to introduce myself.

I receive my British pension here and I haven't lived in the UK for years so can't really compare the two. We are lucky that we were able to buy our house before we arrived so have no rent. Depending on where you want to live you could be looking at least 1000 US dollars a month and you will be expected to pay up front for at least 6 months but there are some month to month properties.

In the UK your medication would be free and I'm not sure how prices compare. Luckily I have not had any medical problems so have no idea on availability  but there are good chemists who can get medications. I suggest you bring a good supply.

Living a simple life here is relatively cheap but it does become expensive if you eat out a lot or travel and stay in hotels. I really enjoy living here and live comfortably on my pension.

Hello everyone and welcome on board, Jimmy !

Please note that this new thread has been created on the Accra forum so that you may better interact with members.

@hkann, thank you so much for these precious infos.

Wish you all the best

Bhavna