Building Work (renovation) in Crete near Mires

Hello

Does anyone with a property in Crete (probably not Greeks who don't as far as I'm aware share this problem) have experience of a reliable builder who can also involve an electrician and plumber as necessary BUT will do the work I need and not complicate things by involving architects and planning permissions or try to convince me that I actually need works and things that I really don't in an old two room village holiday home.

Any suggestions or advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

@larches2Perhaps the person that you may need is a mechanic to advice you about the law for building repairs,additions,extensions etc..Im in Athens with what was originally a family two room house years back,they bought the land,made the tiny house with a license then built two flats,one for them and one for a brother.They moved into the flats and left the small house to basically rot.I bought the ground floor flat with garden and the old house,the ceramic roof has caved in,a few tiles left,a few rotting beams,rain pours in and has done for probably twenty years.I now want to put a new roof,walls are still good,something cheap like ribbed metal with attached insulation.Well no way to just do it,a license must be applied for by a mechanic,its called....a repair license...you must say how you intend to repair and the mechanic must make up a plan,you pay the mechanic and the council price of the license,IF they say yes,normally they do as its an eyesore for neighbors and its dangerous,building regulations are extremely strict here and soon,next year the new...property certificate... becomes mandatory.Perhaps some people may do things to their property outside of the law,but the big bang will come when they want to sell or inherit,thats when the microscope comes out and unlicensed deeds will be picked up on which means the property cannot be sold or inherited. These small licences dont cost much,a few hundred,you are in fact required to obtain a license for a pergola,neighbors will often inform the council if they spot something,The council decide on your choice of new type of roofing material.

Thanks for replying, I was already aware of all that as I did have an architect to advise me initially but it dragged on for so long with no progress that I instead now want to go it alone. Nothing will look different outside so the risks are minimal.

Hello

Are you sorted out with your renovating plans?

I am a South African with building/ Design landscape and DIY Skills. I am currently House sitting on Crete but looking for a project.

Let me know and we could Talk.

Kind regards Rodney

@larches2

Hello, I am writing to you regarding your request "... and not complicate things by involving architects and planning permissions ...

Even if you are experienced with a holiday home in Greece, I am afraid that you are not enough experienced wit the local people. It could be very easy and slippery to build/renovate/change your house but it probably can be tackled by local villagers who call the municipality [Δήμος] to check and involve your activity at your own home.

Also, from a legal point of view, if you do a deviation in construction without permit, it might be a problem once you want to sell  your property.

Have a great 2024

Geranium

@geraniumgift

Many thanks for your message and good wishes.

All the BEST and cheers

Rodney