Gifts for apartment building staff for Christmas

I recently moved to an apartment in Sao Paulo.  The building has four door persons (porteiros) and two other individuals servicing the common areas.  What is the expectation at Christmas in Brazil for these individuals?  I know they get a 13th month salary, but is another gift expected for each?  In searching on Google, it one suggestion was a gift basket.  Any advice?

11/04/23    I recently moved to an apartment in Sao Paulo.  The building has four door persons (porteiros) and two other individuals servicing the common areas.  What is the expectation at Christmas in Brazil for these individuals?  I know they get a 13th month salary, but is another gift expected for each?  In searching on Google, it one suggestion was a gift basket.  Any advice?

-@californiainbrazil

A lot depends on the culture of your building.  In our building, the custom is for the residents to contribute to a pot that the employees divide among themselves.  There's a list that appears in the Portaria in early December, and we tick ourselves off as we contribute.  We started out giving R$300 in 2017 when we first moved here; with inflation, I'm planning on R$500 this year.  With 34 units in the building and six or seven employees it's a nice bump even if not every unit contributes, and they appreciate it.

Gift baskets will always be appreciated, and gratefully acknowledged.  Doorkeepers and janitors are pretty poorly paid, though, so a card with cash in it might be even more appreciated.

The most important thing is to know each one by name, to speak to them as you come and go, and to thank them for their small kindnesses.  You can be sure that most of your neighbors don't, so that will make you stand out in a very good way.

Our building in Rio de Janeiro does exactly what abthree's does. We give them cash at Christmas, and I always bring them back little things from Canada during the year when we are on our trips.

Your porteiros are one of the most important people in your life. They know everyone and everything. Always treat them well, be nice and respectful, take time to make small talk, give them cash tips from time to time, and one day when you need them, and especially their advice, they will be there for you.

I recently moved to an apartment in Sao Paulo.  The building has four door persons (porteiros) and two other individuals servicing the common areas.  What is the expectation at Christmas in Brazil for these individuals?  I know they get a 13th month salary, but is another gift expected for each?  In searching on Google, it one suggestion was a gift basket.  Any advice?

-@californiainbrazil

Cash. That's called Caixinha dos Funcionarios or the annual Christimas tip. Give R$ 50 to the doorman, and about R$ 100 to the super. 

I ALWAYS give money to support people because one can never guess what their particular needs are at the moment. I also think that R$100 is a minimum and multiplying that by 2 or 3 is generally not a difficult thing for people that have solid incomes. It IS awkward to give money but my experience has shown that it is most appreciated.

I'm in awe of the people that provide assistance to others. In my memories of those I first came to know 42 years ago I will NEVER forget Chacrinha, the zelador at Condomínio Edifício Santa Cecília in Santos. He ALWAYS had me in his thoughts and ALWAYS had presentinhos on my arrival.