Menu
Expat.com

Customs and dealing with a box of personal items shipped to Pattaya

Last activity 12 December 2023 by pr3d4t0r

pr3d4t0r

I'm going to ship a few things I couldn't find in Pattaya/Thailand (e.g. Maseca and a tortilla press), or that when I found them were of bad quality (e.g. coffee press, supplements), or personal stuff (e.g. kid's Lego sets already opened and in plastic bags), See's Candy New Year gifts for friends.

The plan is to put everything in a big postal office box, ship it from here to my home in Pattaya by express post.  Should I expect a lot of grief from customs?  We'll ship maybe 3-4 days before we fly back, so not too early but guaranteeing we'll be in Thailand by the time the box shows up.

If customs assesses duties, how will that work?  Would I have to go to the customs office/dock, or is that something I can pay/address at the postal office?

Thanks in advance and have an awesome weekend!

Leeds forever!

I'm going to ship a few things I couldn't find in Pattaya/Thailand (e.g. Maseca and a tortilla press), or that when I found them were of bad quality (e.g. coffee press, supplements), or personal stuff (e.g. kid's Lego sets already opened and in plastic bags), See's Candy New Year gifts for friends.
The plan is to put everything in a big postal office box, ship it from here to my home in Pattaya by express post.  Should I expect a lot of grief from customs?  We'll ship maybe 3-4 days before we fly back, so not too early but guaranteeing we'll be in Thailand by the time the box shows up.

If customs assesses duties, how will that work?  Would I have to go to the customs office/dock, or is that something I can pay/address at the postal office?

Thanks in advance and have an awesome weekend!

-@pr3d4t0r

I have never heard of duties being paid at any local post office. That would of course be great. But,as you know, this is Thailand. Nothing is easy.

pr3d4t0r
I have never heard of duties being paid at any local post office. That would of course be great. But,as you know, this is Thailand. Nothing is easy.

Heh - thanks.  Easy would be boring!

I'm told that I'll get a slip in the mail in case the box or crate gets held, with the amount to pay and have it delivered or picked up at the postal office.  Worst case is a trip to Laerm Chabang, bring the paperwork, walk out with the box.  A small hassle, but nothing so onerous that makes the shipment impractical.

Have an awesome weekend!

Leeds forever!

Heh - thanks.  Easy would be boring!
I'm told that I'll get a slip in the mail in case the box or crate gets held, with the amount to pay and have it delivered or picked up at the postal office.  Worst case is a trip to Laerm Chabang, bring the paperwork, walk out with the box.  A small hassle, but nothing so onerous that makes the shipment impractical.

Have an awesome weekend!

-@pr3d4t0r

It means that even the Thai Custom Department has learned something. I know people who had to pick up their stuff and pay duties in person and 50% of the time they got ripped off. Go figure.

pr3d4t0r
        I have never heard of duties being paid at any local post office. That would of course be great. But,as you know, this is Thailand. Nothing is easy.Heh - thanks.  Easy would be boring!I'm told that I'll get a slip in the mail in case the box or crate gets held, with the amount to pay and have it delivered or picked up at the postal office.  Worst case is a trip to Laerm Chabang, bring the paperwork, walk out with the box.  A small hassle, but nothing so onerous that makes the shipment impractical.Have an awesome weekend!        -@pr3d4t0r

It means that even the Thai Custom Department has learned something. I know people who had to pick up their stuff and pay duties in person and 50% of the time they got ripped off. Go figure.

Exchange of money may be expected, I was told, but like in Mexico:  ask for receipts for any money and the amounts either go down or disappear.  I guess I'll find out.  The box is already being prepared.  Might have to send a small crate.  We'll see.  This will all be done over regular post, on purpose.  We moved from Kiev to San Francisco by postal service -- saved (pocketed the difference since it was part of my living allowance) significant cash and could live without non-essentials for weeks.  Same idea now for Thailand.  I'm only sending stuff that doesn't need to be there on any particular date as long as it shows up between 01.Dec and 20.Jan.  Cheers!

pr3d4t0r

UPDATE:  Everything made it across fine.  Shipped USPS.  Nobody bothered to open the boxes, went by the customs manifest.  Boxes are here.

One food item was in question, and we were advised by USPS and UPS to not put it in the box:  Maseca, for making corn tortillas.  That we brought with us on the aircraft (7 kg), showed it to the customs officials on the way out of the airport, they waved us through.  Food items have all sorts of restrictions on paper, but we were told that customs officials have broad discretion at arrival point.

Cheers!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Pattaya

• Working in Pattaya
    Working in Pattaya

Pattaya may not be as idyllic as some of Thailand's other beach destinations. However, it is still one of the ...

• Accommodation in Pattaya
    Accommodation in Pattaya

Pattaya boasts one of the most significant expatriate communities in Thailand. It has many international schools, ...

• Working in Chiang Mai
    Working in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai's ethnic diversity, breathtaking scenery, and the multitude of festivals and attractions ...

• Income tax in Thailand
    Income tax in Thailand

Thailand is not a tax haven. In Thailand, there are two main types of taxpayers — residents and ...

• Getting married in Thailand
    Getting married in Thailand

The kingdom of Thailand is a stunningly beautiful wedding destination. Its crystal clear beaches, lush green ...

• Starting a business in Thailand
    Starting a business in Thailand

Thailand is the second-largest economy in Southeast Asia and the 26th-largest economy in the world. It offers many ...

• The healthcare system in Thailand
    The healthcare system in Thailand

Thailand is one of the most visited countries in the world. It is also home to a large number of long-term expats, ...

• Accommodation in Phuket
    Accommodation in Phuket

Phuket is a popular destination for expatriates working or retiring on the island. Its expat community is also ...

All of Pattaya's guide articles