Search year towards PR

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding search year/orientation year.

I stayed in Belgium as a student for 5 years, which I understand counts for 2.5 years towards the PR. I did a year of "orientation visa", which the Agii says "does count as a full year"  but other websites say it doesn't count at all.

I got my single permit and worked for a year already. I was wondering if I can apply for permanent residence next year (after 2 years of work visa).

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!!

Don't you have to be employed for uninterrupted 5 years before qualifying for PR?  Unless married to an EU/Belgian citizen?

I would also like to know if the search year counts towards the PR.

Since this was started just a few years ago, I'm sure a lot of the communes might not know if it should be counted or not

@Plzmm

Would be ideal if you take an appointment with the commune to check your eligibility.

I did the same for my PR.

@ChandlerBing

Student year counts as 1/2 a year for PR

@BMM996210 Maybe I should. Thanks :)

hi, for long term residence, you can apply (L card) or be granted (B card) after 2 years of working legally in Belgium. that means 2.5 years based on studies + 1 year orientation year + 1.5 or 2 years (to be sure) of working.

Thanks @brla15.

I applied for the L card. Now we wait and see.

oh great to hear. give us an update here about the results - and wishing it will be positive.

@brla15 My L card got approved 5 days ago. I need to go pick up my card in 2 weeks.

@Plzmm thanks for the update, the information is well appreciated.