Unlimited single permit and residence permit

Dears my question is the following:

I want to apply for unlimited single permit after 4 years working. Is that true that once you receive your unlimited single permit your residence card will be renewed only for 1 year? My current card is valid until 2026. Maybe it is better to wait a year and apply for L card directly from limited A card?

For both B and L card, you have to wait 5 years, so you have to wait for another year in any case.

B card

The B card is a permanent residence permit for third-country nationals who have lived legally in Belgium for five years. This card allows you to live, work, and study in Belgium indefinitely. However, there are some restrictions on your travel outside of Belgium. You are not allowed to stay outside of Belgium for more than one year at a time.

Benefits of the B card:

• You can live, work, and study in Belgium indefinitely.
  • You can access social security benefits, such as healthcare and unemployment benefits.
  • You can apply for Belgian citizenship after five years of holding a B card.

L card

The L card is a permanent residence permit for third-country nationals who have lived legally in Belgium for five years and who have integrated well into Belgian society. This card allows you to live, work, and study in Belgium indefinitely, and you are not restricted on how long you can stay outside of Belgium.

Benefits of the L card:

• You can live, work, and study in Belgium indefinitely.
  • You are not restricted on how long you can stay outside of Belgium.
  • You can access social security benefits, such as healthcare and unemployment benefits.
  • You can apply for Belgian citizenship after five years of holding an L card.

Additional benefits of the L card:

• You can register in the Belgian population register, which gives you access to additional rights and benefits, such as the right to vote in local elections.
  • You can apply for a Belgian passport, which allows you to travel visa-free to many countries.

The best card for you will depend on your individual circumstances. If you are planning to stay in Belgium indefinitely and want to have the freedom to travel outside of Belgium without restrictions, then the L card is the best option for you. If you are not planning to travel outside of Belgium frequently, then the B card may be a better option for you.

Dears my question is the following:
I want to apply for unlimited single permit after 4 years working. Is that true that once you receive your unlimited single permit your residence card will be renewed only for 1 year? My current card is valid until 2026. Maybe it is better to wait a year and apply for L card directly from limited A card?

-@ievgenfeldmann

I got mine unlimited permit with 3 years validity.

@mapsofmeaning I'm not sure the part about citizenship is correct. I dont believe you need to hold the B or L card for 5 years before applying for citizenship. Instead I understand that you must have resided in Belgium for 5 years before applying for a B or L card and once you have the card you then have to choice to apply for citizenship as well.

@Zaza00 you are right. My bad. It's ndeed not required to wait another 5 years to apply for the citizenship.

When I received the unlimited single permit they only gave me a 1 year residency permit. But it is not a problem because I will

request an extension of it at the same time

I request the L card.  As long as I have the last 3 months of pay stubs these will be approved