Menu
Expat.com

Medical treatment in Dumaguette possibly the result of the Philippines

Last activity 18 December 2023 by Morgacj2004

Patient pete

My experience may be useful for other expats.

In hospitals I have been in in Dumaguette and camarines sur normal practice in order to avoid changing sheets is to install a catheter for pee, and a diaper for poop. Very convenient for the hospital but unfortunate for the recipient.

. If you are conscious I believe you can refuse this treatment if you are concerned by the following information of my treatment.I have had a catheter for a year which is very uncomfortable and the first attempt to remove it was unsuccessful. I am looking forward !!! to having another attempt this time with an agency nurse with western training in catheter removal as opposed to the local slow drawn out agonising removal experienced with my last removal by the local nurses.

The drawback with the diaper is it can lead to bed sores, my helper proudly showed me a photo of a former patient of hers with an enormous crack with a huge quantity of yellow pus she had to clean out every day. In my case I went back to the UK with an arse as red as a baboon according to my son so in my case just a case of merriment to my family, not so painless for some.

Cherryann01

Glad I ate breakfast before reading this. Does sound painful though but I guess that is where we are all heading if we live long enough. We are born and need somebody to wipe our arse, we have kids and wipe their arses and if we live long enough we will need others to wipe our arse again because we are not capable of doing it anymore.

Enzyte Bob

Cherryann01 said. . . . Glad I ate breakfast before reading this. Does sound painful though but I guess that is where we are all heading if we live long enough. We are born and need somebody to wipe our arse, we have kids and wipe their arses and if we live long enough we will need others to wipe our arse again because we are not capable of doing it anymore.

You bring up a good point especially when some love starved 70 year old Expat marries some hot young barefoot Pinay from the provinces.

When it becomes wiping time, after the good times are gone, the Expat who farts in Church sits in own pew.

Cherryann01

Cherryann01 said. . . . Glad I ate breakfast before reading this. Does sound painful though but I guess that is where we are all heading if we live long enough. We are born and need somebody to wipe our arse, we have kids and wipe their arses and if we live long enough we will need others to wipe our arse again because we are not capable of doing it anymore.
You bring up a good point especially when some love starved 70 year old Expat marries some hot young barefoot Pinay from the provinces.
When it becomes wiping time, after the good times are gone, the Expat who farts in Church sits in own pew.       

-@Enzyte Bob

Best to invest in a good Japanese toilet now with bidet built in to shoot water up your Jacksy, air drying, a heated seat and  deodorising built in.

danfinn

@Patient pete For your creative writing you score high on imagery and visualization but I have been to a private hospital here and they always changed the sheets every few days. I suppose if you are expecting them to change sheets whenever you piss or defacate they may have a problem but here in the Phils you are supposed to have a local relative or paid helper staying with you in the hospital to help with things like that so valuable nurses can tend to more professional activities.

Patient pete

I was unconscious at the time and didn’t   know what I do now about the effects of catheters.  I would have thought that it is a money making process going to waste for the hospital.

danfinn

I was unconscious at the time and didn’t   know what I do now about the effects of catheters.  I would have thought that it is a money making process going to waste for the hospital.

-@Patient pete

I notice they want patients to use catheters but it is more of a convenience than anything else. When you cannot get out of the bed, you either need a catheter or have someone help you urinate. A diaper may be required for defacation. In all cases, a relative, spouse or paid helper like your maid (does not have to be a private nurse) is expected to help. If you had a private room you may have noticed the spare bed; that is what that is for. It is totally different than in the West where people staying in the room are limited by visiting hours. The person you use to help you can stay 24 hours per day. Often they are the ones who get your prescriptions if the hospital pharmacy does not have it in stock. This person will also bring you food and refreshments from the outside if you are allowed. Hospitals will not allow them to bring in liquor, beer or tocacco but the security guards tend to look the other way.

Enzyte Bob

To expound on several posts:

When I had bypass surgery in 2004 I awoke up with a catheter installed. It eliminated many bathroom trips with regards to my prostrate. If my prostrate could talk it would have said "Thank you Mr.Catheter".  I hope I'm never have to use a catheter again.

I can't imagine someone self catheterizing themself. Patient Pete said he had a catheter for a year, I hope he did not mean it was never changed.

Etiquette:

I'm adjusted to seeing locals peeing on the side of a building, but I'm not adjusted to seeing Expats with a catheter bag strapped to their ankle wearing shorts.

As stated by danfinn, you should/must supply your own nurses aide/assistant (family member/housekeeper/ or local hired).

bigpearl

As sad topic that will most likely catch up with us all as we age. I feel lucky because my better half is cert 4 aged care worker in Australia for years, does diapers but not catheters though I'm sure he would have a go but hope I never get to that stage. You guys are right when it comes to carers/family being in your room with you 24/7, see it all the time, Bens sister is a Midwife and his niece is now a head nurse in the Lorma private hospital here and they reiterate the need for a family member with the patient full time as they are super busy/too thin on the ground. Remember this is the Philippines with all its twists and turns.

Cheers, Steve.

Patient pete

@Enzyte Bob

thanks to the gentlemen who have replied to my message it seems that if i had have had a helper at the time of my accident I could have escaped the problems i am having unfortunately  my present partner who is now aware of the problem. was not in place then.

Patient pete

@danfinn

i have had it changed three times in england comparitively painlessly or at least quicklly and once agonisingly slowly here.

danfinn

@Enzyte Bob
thanks to the gentlemen who have replied to my message it seems that if i had have had a helper at the time of my accident I could have escaped the problems i am having unfortunately  my present partner who is now aware of the problem. was not in place then.

It really is ironic that we have so many resources on this forum who know how to sell you health insurance you may not need, yet nobody tells expats to prepare for a hospital stay by having (maybe paying) family members to support you there 24 hours/day if you do end up in one. If you pay a helper, the money is very cheap. We are not talking about spending 40k/month on a nurse (though that can be done too), I am only talking 8k php per month for a helper who will make all the difference in the world to your hospital stay. The hospital staff EXPECTS this. Always be prepared to have someone support any future hospital stay.

Enzyte Bob

I don't want to come down on Patient Pete . . .

For anyone considering moving to the Philippines don't bring your medical problems with you. Medical problems dramatically increase with age. As cheap as hospitalization is in the Philippines your savings will take a hit.

Patient pete

Thank you enzyte bob why havnt i been told it is possible to leave your medical problems at home.  I await your information as to how to achieve this miraculous event.

bigpearl

@Patient pete

I think Bobs comment was generic and relevant not just for the Philippines but jumping on a plane with a heart condition or your problems and expecting the same level of care venturing to third world countries, as theyn say you aren't in Kansas now Dorothy.

If you have serious medical issues third world countries care little and stay away as you have learnt especially not having a carer, a dime a dozen here, stand in nurses the same. A decent partner all the better.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

AlbertaDonuts

@danfinn
i have had it changed three times in england comparitively painlessly or at least quicklly and once agonisingly slowly here.

-@Patient pete

I came out of surgery with the catheter and that was easy... taking it out was not fun but.... barable.  Now the fun was 3 days later when I had complications and had to have it put back in, while not under anastetic.... Try to avoid that in a western hospital if you can... is it really worse here?  I was happy to keep it for two weeks as I did not want to go through the procedure again if needed.... Bloody painful. 

As I am single, if I went into the hospital, do they help me to hire an aid or do i need to know this before hand and make arrangements... what happens in an emergency?

Thanks,

Donald

Lotus Eater

@AlbertaDonuts

As I am single, if I went into the hospital, do they help me to hire an aid or do i need to know this before hand and make arrangements... what happens in an emergency?

Albert you’re a single guy. If you do the hiring you can ensure she’s a looker. She might even become a permanent fixture wink.png

Cherryann01

I am wondering if the area outside the hospitals there looks like here in the UK with all the smokers standing there with medical equipment they are attached to alongside them while they smoke.

danfinn

As I am single, if I went into the hospital, do they help me to hire an aid or do i need to know this before hand and make arrangements... what happens in an emergency?Thanks,Donald

That's a good question, difficult for me to answer because I have a spouse and lots of extended family. I do not know how a single person hires any kind of help around here. Once while at Silliman, my wife was home sleeping so niece took over the shift but she had gone out to 7-11 to buy a few things. The head nurse came in while my room (private) did not have helper present and she asked me about that but it was easy to explain. If I had been a single foreigner I suspect some nurse on the floor would know someone I could pay as a helper (non-professional, live in at hospital, about 7-8k per month).  As far as age and beauty is concerned, it is the luck of the draw lol but you will find dedication to be most important. quality while confined in a hospital. Also, I may have mentioned that my room had a small bed for the helper. That just points to this practice being common and expected of the patient. Of course you should always have some cash on hand to pay for what she buys including scripts and of course to pay her salary (suggest twice per month and she may ask for advance).

AlbertaDonuts

As I am single, if I went into the hospital, do they help me to hire an aid or do i need to know this before hand and make arrangements... what happens in an emergency?Thanks,Donald
That's a good question, difficult for me to answer because I have a spouse and lots of extended family. I do not know how a single person hires any kind of help around here. Once while at Silliman, my wife was home sleeping so niece took over the shift but she had gone out to 7-11 to buy a few things. The head nurse came in while my room (private) did not have helper present and she asked me about that but it was easy to explain. If I had been a single foreigner I suspect some nurse on the floor would know someone I could pay as a helper (non-professional, live in at hospital, about 7-8k per month).  As far as age and beauty is concerned, it is the luck of the draw lol but you will find dedication to be most important. quality while confined in a hospital. Also, I may have mentioned that my room had a small bed for the helper. That just points to this practice being common and expected of the patient. Of course you should always have some cash on hand to pay for what she buys including scripts and of course to pay her salary (suggest twice per month and she may ask for advance).

-@danfinn

Thanks, this is great learning for me.  I try not to travel with too much but of course have access to sufficient funds.  In an emergency I would be in no condition to try to access funds while in a hospital  bed....  oh I guess I am hearing I need a partner, asap.  And I have enjoyed the single life.

bigpearl

@Alberta Donuts

No Don you don't need  a partner simply some one to trust. Time will come if you settle here you will meet people locally, vet then employ some one.

If you employ a what they call maid/helper here live in 6 some times 7 days a week I have heard they are paid 5 to 10K per month depending where you live but you supply their food, toiletries and housing and I suppose depends on their skills.

I have the best of both worlds with a partner that I pay 12K per month to keep him here or else he would be back in treasury in Manila and he doesn't want that even for a lot more money.

What I have is a trust worthy capable person that is cert 4 in aged care (5 years Australia). Excellent English, great translator, confidant, driver, shopper, book keeper, banker, computer whiz, gardener, phone calls, cooking and cleaning we share, liaising and dealing with our workers and contractors and the list goes on. The more talented the more you will pay but at P 144K per year or AU 4K per year? As they say "chicken sh1t"

What could be difficult for you Don is the back and forward, 6 months here and 6 months back home. I'm sure you will find your feet once here for awhile. Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

AlbertaDonuts

I am envious of you, and hope to create that for myself.  The culture and people of the Philippines is one of the reasons I have chosen this country.

bizwizard

My experience when I was hospitalized for a week at AUF in Angeles was pretty good. I had a room with a bathroom although no separate bed, only a couch where my gf slept when not next to me. I went to the bathroom by myself, moving my IV stand as necessary.

And I wouldn't have been at all happy without the gf to help out--go home for clean clothes, etc.

I've had catheters back in the US, and they are bloody uncomfortable. But sometimes they are necessary, like when you cannot pee on your own after some procedure (two different times). No catheters at AUF.

I was actually pretty happy with the experience, despite being used to Cedars-Sinai.

Thant gf didn't work out, and I'm looking for one with caregiver training. Yes, healthy though I am now, it is inevitable unless I die suddenly.

Morgacj2004

@danfinn  valuable duties like  texting!  lol

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles