Expat Chef Positions?

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I'm asking on behalf of my friend, who's a German. We're just poking at the idea of him moving to Indonesia. He has:

full certification in Germany

9 years as head chef in 1* Michelin

3 years as head chef in 2* Michelin

2 years in Thailand

Expertise in healthy fine cooking

Do you think with such experience, he would have a hard time finding a position? Could anybody perhaps point us in the right direction on where to look?

Is a salary expectation of an exec. Sous chef of around 3000$ + full package realistic?

thanks everyone!

I'm not a chef and really not sure if that kind salary is available. I do know that so many chefs are locals and earning much lower salaries that that without expat benefits. I'm talking about executive chefs working at Marriott group Hotels. The Marriott Group includes very many hotel chains. More and more hotels are employing locals or at least Asians instead of expats and obviously pay them less than expats get.

However, I am not an expert in this field so your friend can always try, perhaps in some of the more posh restaurants in Jakarta although I expect they too are employing mostly local chefs.

@justacook

Hello!!

You have great experiance and maybe in Jakarta you can find someting with more or less such terms. I am in Bali and here chefs with such experience rises the investment and opens his own restourant …  Because according the migration law foreigners can supervise or train locals staff but you,  as a foreigner , can not to make even cup of coffee. Even in the 5 stars Hotel they can't have a foreigner as a chief and they invent the name of the position and in any case he has to work with locals.

With best regards,

Irene.

@Irinetang77 Thank you for your response! I never knew chefs couldn't execute the cooking themselves 😳

@wyngrove60 Thank you for the reply! I heard from some friends, local executive chefs earn 30 ish million rupiahs. Hence I was wondering, given the extra qualifications, if he would find a job.

From time to time you find something on LinkedIn, just go to some forum.

Also a good source is: https://globalexpatrecruiting.com/

Good luck

@justacookYour friend found a position meanwhile?