SRRV compared to ACR

What is better SRRV or ACR?

SRRV is hard to beat if you have a DD214 to prove you served in the military. It is only $10 a year to renew your ID card and you can do 2 years at a time. There are no other fees and you don't need exit clearance certificate when exiting the Philippines. It is a bit costly having to deposit $1,500 in an account and the $1,400 enrollment fee but after that it is very cheap. You no longer need the ACR card and that is one hassle avoided, especially if you have to travel far to the nearest BI like me. To update my SRRV ID card I can send to money to my SRRV agent and she will renew it for me, no travel involved.

@Moon Dog 100% my experience as well.  The Subic satellite office of the Philippines Retirement Agency was very helpful.

I ve been married to a Filipina for 33 years, so I did a 13a visa at the consulate in Chicago.  The VA did my physical for me.   150usd visa fee.  Dropped off in person visa issued in 20 days via mail.  Entered three months later had to go to quarantine for a stamp and polio shot 800p. To boi in intramuros paid 160usd for acr/registration. Picked up card good for five years three weeks later.  I guess I have to do yearly reports and get exit cleared when I leave. 

The PRA (SRRV) needs a 10000$ deposit (must come from abroad) and 360$ yearly fee. Does not depend on marriage with a pilipino.

There are two ACR, 13a and 13. the 13a   depend on marriage with a pilipino, the 13 does not! The yearly report fee is 310 Php.

Forgive me, but I would formulate it differently.

ACR is not a visum.

With the exception of SRRV, all foreigners staying over 59 days need an ACR.

Where the OP may want to compare SRRV with a 13a visa it maybe better not to mix visa-type with an ID card. Thus there are not 2 types of ACR; there is only one.

And there are people who overstayed their Visa for years with no SRRV or ACR renewal fees.

And there are people who overstayed their Visa for years with no SRRV or ACR renewal fees.

-@Enzyte Bob

What would happen if someone did overstay for years and accrued substantial fees if they were to die. would immigration come after the wife or any dependents for the outstanding fees?

And there are people who overstayed their Visa for years with no SRRV or ACR renewal fees.        -@Enzyte Bob

What would happen if someone did overstay for years and accrued substantial fees if they were to die. would immigration come after the wife or any dependents for the outstanding fees?

-@Cherryann01

We knew a married couple where the man became illegal, he said because he refused to pay a bribe of $100 to immig officer at to restamp with a new BB after a visa run to Hongkong. Officer just gave him the regular extendable 29 day tourist visa as was his right,  but the husband was resentful and would not pay fees to pay extend. He later developed pancreatic cancer and died at a private hospital. BI never bothered him the whole time and, although the family had many legalities to deal, BI was not one of them.

@stillbiker Like I said, if you have a DD214. I only had to deposit $1,500 and it's only $10 a year. If I were not a veteran I would not have gotten the SRRV. It is only a good deal for veterans, or rich people.

@stillbiker Like I said, if you have a DD214. I only had to deposit $1,500 and it's only $10 a year. If I were not a veteran I would not have gotten the SRRV. It is only a good deal for veterans, or rich people.

-@Moon Dog

It is good for a anybody who qualifies for the courtesy SRRV. We have the  " courtesy SRRV" that applies to ex-Filipinos and their spouses. We only had to deposit $1500 as well. You have the 'expanded courtesy SRRV" which includes military veterans. So many besides veterans are under the umbrella of "Courtesy SRRV" so I recommend discussing with a free PRA marketer to know the lowest cost SRRV you qualify for.

@stillbiker i think you mean what is better the SRRV or 13 A The ACR card is not a Visa it is an ID card If you are military SRRV woukd be a good choice  If you are married to a Pinay 13 A  if you are ex military anf married to a Pinay you shoukd compare

I am still considering SRRV or 13a, once I get a place here... yes I know foriegners cannot own land.  Love seeing these posts gives me things to think about.

I do have a related question.  I was extended for 2 months but need to extend again by Jan 4 and apply for the  ACR card at that time.  How long does it take to get the ACR card and do I need to pick it up at the same office I apply?  I will be in the Dumaguete area for a month but then going back to another Island.... Is this going to be a problem... do I need to travel back to Dumaguete to get my ACR card.

Thanks for you sharing your experiences here and helping a newbie.

Cheers,

Donald

@AlbertaDonuts

I simply stay on a visitor visa as a 13a is not possible and an SRRV is not suitable for me, posted about this in the past.

As for your ACR1 card, will go to the office you applied in and I pick it up 2 months later when I extend my visa next, they generally ask you to come back in 2/3 weeks to pick the card up. The only time I've had to produce an ACR card was opening a bank accounts,,,,,, no one else cares, a bit like a drivers license.

Hope you are enjoying your stay Don.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks Steve,  I

will ask when I extend in Duma... if it will be back in 3 weeks great, I am there for a month... if it takes longer I guess I have to make a trip to Cebu to apply and then I can pick it up when i am back in Cebu later.

The Cebu office in Mactan Island was reasonably quick... I will see what the Duma office is like in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Don,

There are many equations to your situation..... First is how long are you here for before you exit PH?

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks Steve,  I
will ask when I extend in Duma... if it will be back in 3 weeks great, I am there for a month... if it takes longer I guess I have to make a trip to Cebu to apply and then I can pick it up when i am back in Cebu later.

The Cebu office in Mactan Island was reasonably quick... I will see what the Duma office is like in a few weeks.

Cheers,

My only comment would be that if they made it that difficult for me to obtain long term visas, I wouldn't be here in the first place. Thailand comes to mind. I consider the constant extensions of tourist visas to be expensive and time consuming and the designation of "tourist" to be too transient for someone planning to live here permanently. You really are legally a tourist who cannot work or invest. Thus, in the case of the Phils I would try to save up the 10 or 20k deposit if that was my only SRRV option. Remember, it is a deposit which you get back if/when you cancel your SRRV.

-@AlbertaDonuts

@bigpearl

Here for 5 more months then plan to return in September .  Split my time between here and canada for a few years till i decide to be here fulltime.  4 months in canada and 8 here.

I may not always be single but happy dingle now.

Cheers

All good Don, enjoy, perhaps and only a thought you could ask the immi office if they can fwd your ACR card to your next destination (immi office) but knowing the Philippines that might be too hard.

Remember also here that opening a bank account in say a branch in Cebu gives few options in other cities aside from internet banking, been there and pissed off, had 100K odd sitting in an account in Manila, went to the bank here to draw some out,,,,, no sir you need to be at your branch in Manila, OK I will open an account here, yes sir fill out all these forms and required ID's and we will process,,,,, but I am already with BDO and simply want to transfer to La union, no sir different franchise, you need a new account,,,,,,

Wankers.

Banks here are like a fairy tale story, we all learn the ropes and shudder along the way.

Cheers, Steve.

All good Don, enjoy, perhaps and only a thought you could ask the immi office if they can fwd your ACR card to your next destination (immi office) but knowing the Philippines that might be too hard.
Remember also here that opening a bank account in say a branch in Cebu gives few options in other cities aside from internet banking, been there and pissed off, had 100K odd sitting in an account in Manila, went to the bank here to draw some out,,,,, no sir you need to be at your branch in Manila, OK I will open an account here, yes sir fill out all these forms and required ID's and we will process,,,,, but I am already with BDO and simply want to transfer to La union, no sir different franchise, you need a new account,,,,,,
Wankers.
Banks here are like a fairy tale story, we all learn the ropes and shudder along the way.

Cheers, Steve.

-@bigpearl

OMG that is crazy... I thought any BDO is my BDO.   Well I guess that is not completely different from Canada... some things you need to do at home branch but not withdraw money.

Alberta Donuts said. . . . OMG that is crazy... I thought any BDO is my BDO.   Well I guess that is not completely different from Canada... some things you need to do at home branch but not withdraw money.

I've never had to pay a fee using my BDO debit card at any BDO  Atm in the Manila area. The nice thing about BDO is there is so many branches and Atm's everywhere.

We have bdo accts at two branches and they charge us 200 to withdrawal at a original branch.  ATM is free but only 50k a day.  BDO wouldn't let me open an account because my signatures were to inconsistent.  US banks verify ID.  Here the signature.  PSB opened an acct for me after jumping through some hoops, same issue. The manager advised me to "use the ATM" as your signature is inconsistent. 

Agree Bob, plenty of branches and yes never a charge with a BDO debit card either in the wall or over the counter and that seems to me where it ends.

If I deposited online from Oz to BDO here under AU 10K there were no fees either but if over that they would slugged us P200, after 4/5 times this happened I made an appointment with the manager to question the charges, mentioned this in another post, he simply blamed a middle man,,,,,, come on bank to bank? My 5 buck fee is paid in Oz. Why the disparity between no charges under AU 10K but if I transfer AU 20K then you slug me p 200,,,,, middle man sir. No Mr. bank manager there are no middle men and if I see that fee on my account again I will move banks, never saw another fee.

When we moved back 5 years ago our accounts were in Manila and wanted to continue banking 6 hours north in La Union, No said the BDO bank you need to open a new account here at this branch, why I asked? those are the rules sir. But I can still draw/transfer my funds from Manila? No sir new account, draw the funds yes but you need to transfer to an open account here, all good, transfer my open accounts in Manila to here,,,,, no sir you need to start again. ACR, ID's etc. What about Ben my partner, same sir but no ACR. Ben opened an account and a month later when I got my ACR was another fiasco scrutinized from top to bottom. Does work but somewhat backwards. Online with BDO seems 15/20 years behind western norms.

Ben does most of the banking and is amazed when we go there together I am sat on the senior citizens side while 30/40 other bankers sit the other side before the bank opens and us oldies (64 is not old) go in first, a tick in their box.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

64 is old, haha but it won't be in a few years when I get there.  Lmfao

Just teasing you Steve.

In Canada I have a wonderful online bank that is amazing, been with them for over 20 years.  The physical bank where my mortgage existed has been hell to deal with so I guess we are no better in Canada.

Cheers Donald.

What is better SRRV or ACR?        -@stillbiker

I can tell you this; I think the ECC is a real pain. SRRV is EXEMPT from ECC.

From a popular PRA SRRV consultant:

"As an SRRV holder you are exempted from the Exit clearance. The travel pass has also been stopped. You don't need anything when travelling outside the country.

Regards,"  (MRV)

@emvaningen

It has been years since I have had an ACRI Card.  There are different allowances based on certain countries.  However, the last I understood, for most countries was as follows: 

1. The ACRI card for tourist 9(a) that stay past 59 days may read "TOURIST" or "NON-IMMIGRANT" near the bottom.
  2. There is a different ACR card for 13A visa holders and it will read "IMMIGRANT" or "PERMANENT RESIDENT" near the bottom.  The first application for a Philippine 13a marriage visa is valid for one year, renewal after one year is five years, and renewal after five years is 10 years.
  3. Student visa 9(f) usually has the word "STUDENT" near the bottom.

Not sure about the other ACR cards for Workers, etc.

@danfinn

Due to the new monitoring system, all SRRV Holders must have an exit pass now!

Holders that stay over one years must have:

1. Travel pass
  2. Pay Travel Tax

Holders that stay less than on year must have:

1. Travel pass

Source:  Log into your PRA account here and you will see the "Create travel pass" button.  https://ssrvm.pra.gov.ph

@danfinnDue to the new monitoring system, all SRRV Holders must have an exit pass now!Holders that stay over one years must have:Travel passPay Travel TaxHolders that stay less than on year must have:Travel pass

This is old information. The only part that is true is to pay travel for stays over a year. Travel pass WAS part of monitoring system introduced during the pandemic. It was discontinued recently. As stated by our PRA marketer who is an authority on the subject:

"As an SRRV holder you are exempted from the Exit clearance. The travel pass has also been stopped.  don't need anything when travelling outside the country.

Regards"

The fact that the create travel pass button is still functional would be more related to PRA website maintenance issues than actual requirements

@danfinn

This is good news since 8 weeks ago I had to produce this very same document upon my exit.  Additionally, I just logged into my PRA account about 40 minutes ago and the link and form is still there as a requirement.

@danfinn,

You are 100% correct.  When I did some digging, I found the undated PRA Advisory.  The same Advisory states we have to register as inbound SRRV holders for the electronic passenger registration and HDC and sends us to:  https://etravel.gov.ph

@bigpearl  Please treat banking in the Philippines the way you treat an investment.  Only deposit the amount you are willing to lose.  I worked with bdo for about 5 years in the states and I will tell you that every single thing you do with them will always be a giant pain in the rear.  I would barely trust them with my rent check. 

I would recommend PNB.  my wife and i have been banking with them for 5 years with no issues   We transfer a 2k per month mortgage payment from our Charles Schwab checking account in the states to PNB and over the past five years have transferred more than $200,000 USD  for buying land and a house in the Philippines with never an issue. You will find that you will get very low interest rate on any money kept in your checking and or savings account in the Philippines so I suggest as an investment strategy, you only use checking and saving for your daily and/or emergency needs. All in all I have  had more issues with prior banks in the US than i have had with banks in the Philippines.  I do love my Charles Schwab account though. So It's not all doom and gloom  with PI  lending institutions. lol

@bigpearl  Please treat banking in the Philippines the way you treat an investment.  Only deposit the amount you are willing to lose.  I worked with bdo for about 5 years in the states and I will tell you that every single thing you do with them will always be a giant pain in the rear.  I would barely trust them with my rent check.          -@thedfords

For USA SSA we use our American bank.  My wife also has the Philippines govt pension SSS because she had decided to pay in the max every month 25 years ago. (She also enrolled and paid into some brothers and sisters who were not formally working and they were able to retire with small sums on that basis). Anyway, they way SSS works is through the private banks where you set up an account and take your pay each month.

Actually it is not a bad system for a country that could never afford a US style SSA system. Philippines SSS is in the private market. (Even the USA cannot afford the USA style SSA system lol).

When you begin to collect Philippines SSS, you do so with an ATM card (usually). The problem is, you need to take your payment right away. If you just let the SSS sit there and grow each month they will start deducting service charges from your account for dormancy. This is the same bank where you originally set up your SSA account! When you do take it out, the bank limits you to 20000 php per day. That's about 3-1/2 months payment for max SSS benefit. If you let it rise to 50000php, you can count on 3 day's trips to the ATM  to get your full balance owed.

Everyone's situation is different so there is no uniform choice as to which option is best. Personally being married and still enjoying traveling I find that the 1 year Balikbayan stamp works best for me. No additional requirements like an annual report or ECC to leave and no sneaking in of new paperwork like with the SRRV (so far anyway). When I get too old to travel I will put my passport in a drawer and end my days as a TNT.

@smithta63 all good points but keep in mind that 13A has to report to BI every year, SRRV doesn't. Isn't that the case or am I wrong?  I have SRRV for prior military thus dont have to report once a year.

@Enzyte Bob that does not mean that you fon t get a srrv

Tbloom12 asked me EnzyteBob. . . . Enzyte Bob that does not mean that you fon t get a srrv

For me the ACR-1, then 13A works for me. The annual report can now be done online. The reporting window starts this January.

In the past there have been people posting about big fines for being in the Philippines illegally by not getting extensions, ACR/13A or SRRV and/for many years in lapse.

Everyone's situation is different so there is no uniform choice as to which option is best. Personally being married and still enjoying traveling I find that the 1 year Balikbayan stamp works best for me. No additional requirements like an annual report or ECC to leave and no sneaking in of new paperwork like with the SRRV (so far anyway). When I get too old to travel I will put my passport in a drawer and end my days as a TNT.

-@philipperv

Do you exit and then enter the Philippines within the same year or within a year of exiting on the Balikbayan stamp? I've read that you must wait a year (out of the Philippines) before entering again on a Balikbayan stamp. I've asked about this at a Philippine consulate in my country and surprisingly, could not get a definitive or straight answer. My wife and I will be going back next year within a year of our last exit so I'm a bit nervous. The longest visa the consulate can give me is about 2 months and we plan to stay longer than 2 months. I've gotten to the point where I am researching the 'throw away' tickets just in case.

Steve

I went to the Philippines balikbayan from October through March in 2017, 2018, and 2019, no problem, no questions.  My wife just shows her dual citizenship papers and our marriage license, just got stamped again this October, good until 10/18/24.

Everyone's situation is different so there is no uniform choice as to which option is best. Personally being married and still enjoying traveling I find that the 1 year Balikbayan stamp works best for me. No additional requirements like an annual report or ECC to leave and no sneaking in of new paperwork like with the SRRV (so far anyway). When I get too old to travel I will put my passport in a drawer and end my days as a TNT.         -@philipperv

Do you exit and then enter the Philippines within the same year or within a year of exiting on the Balikbayan stamp? I've read that you must wait a year (out of the Philippines) before entering again on a Balikbayan stamp. I've asked about this at a Philippine consulate in my country and surprisingly, could not get a definitive or straight answer. My wife and I will be going back next year within a year of our last exit so I'm a bit nervous. The longest visa the consulate can give me is about 2 months and we plan to stay longer than 2 months. I've gotten to the point where I am researching the 'throw away' tickets just in case.

Steve

For what it's worth, I knows lot of people with the BB waiver and they renew by leaving the country for just a few days or even 24hrs.  Oftentimes these policies are  circulated within BI only as internal memos, thus the embassies are not familiar nor is anybody else. People just seem to do whatever works for everyone else. This is how things work here and I do actually believe the original intent was to require a 1 year limit. However, that is not the case right now. I do know one person who came back after a few days in Hongkong and they refused him the BB.  He said it was because he refused to bribe (2007 time frame) but it could be that he gave immigration bad attitude when they asked questions. It is completely up to the personal judgement and preference of the immigration agent to grant the BB. So, he got the 29 day extendable for 3 years visa. An inconvenience but not a catastrophe.