Permission to sell on a market

i want to move to Portugal next year.I am an EU citizen.  i want to sell on the local market. do i need any permissions?

Do i rent the market space. The people which sell on the market do they make enough to survive?

Can i sell anything? is the market seasonal or all year round?

Hi Mimikerby

I have seen people from third world countries (bangladesh india …) opening up mobile repair booths. you need to pay for the space and stock. they seem to be surviving

i have also seen some doing uber eats and on bicycles!

depends on what you're up for 

kind regards

thank you so much. do you know if i need to get special permission. it will not be food that i will be selling

also is the markets all the time or just seasonal

There's a portuguese advisor here named JohnnyPT   

he's very welcoming and helpful and always up for helping everyone so im sure he will  see this post 

Hi and welcome,  There are mant different markets (I assume you mean street markets) in different towns and range from "carboot" or  "Flea market"  where anyone can and sell second hand items which operate sometime in small town squares sometimes in carparking areas etc, some markets which sell only fruit and veg and operate one to five days a week in different towns. Farmers markets where produce from local farms is sold, general markets maybe saturday clothes, kitchen stuff, baby chickens, plants etc maybe a one day a week. Tourist markets on pavements near beaches selling "tourist" stuff. Agriculture markets selling barrows, trailers, tools seeds, potting plants etc.  And then there's Christmas markets,  If you search for "markets portugal pic"  you'll a large range.  Also different places run on different rules but any serious markets selling new items should need to have their stall holders as tax paying registered businesses.

Usually, some markets are only open on certain days of the week.

You usually need a licence from the local town hall.

In the markets there are many expats who sell products that they produce themselves, usually vegetables, fruits, etc.

@JohnnyPT

Above an beyond that there are what is called Mercado Municipal, which is in our case a 3 level building with stands or booth selling everything from food to flowers and spices and - I guess - everything that people need on a regular basis. Our market is open from Tuesday to Sunday.

@mimikerby76

this is an online marketplace where you can sell things 

https://www.worten.pt

Thank you so much for the info. much apprishiated

@mimikerby76
this is an online marketplace where you can sell things 

https://www.worten.pt-@Mydeliveries

That information is not correct. That link is to a retailer's website. It's not a site where users can sell their own stuff...

@JohnnyPT

hi he wouldnt be a user “selling his own stuff”

he would be a third party seller 

No.... This website is B2C (business to consumer) and not B2B (business to business) ...

@mimikerby76, Hi! It depends. Usually you need to pay to sell on a market. There are some exceptions, in some parts of the country, usually in places where there is a big community living off grid, etc. Which area are you considering moving to?

@mimikerby76

there is a lady who sells handmade bracelets outside a store in my area. She has been there at her stall for a few months now. i asked her how her business is doing and she said its going very well with most demand coming from tourists. i asked her if she needed any government “authorisations” and she said no.

so i guess selling in some places might be “easier” than others 

soon she will be expanding her product range to include more handmade items - the types of things tourists look for

she invited me to buy something but since im not a fan of jewellery i bought a toy/gift for her child instead

@TGCampo hello … i would like to sell my hand made jewelry … where would be the best place for me yo set up?

thank you

@Mydeliveries

this is what i would like to do as well… where is this area? i make beautiful handmade sterling silver and gemstone earrings and necklaces.

thank you!

Etsy website, it's a website specialized in the handmade stuff