Playing poker in danang

I am english but live in thailand, and I am considering moving to vietnam. I visited danang in July and played poker at the dragon club in the centre hotel. A few weeks ago I returned and discovered the poker room was closed for 2 days (for refurb) in late nov and has not re-opened. I looked for other clubs but no success in that the internet info was out of date ....the venues found on the internet were at hotels which are now closed  or as with danang poker and bridge club the registered address was at a building which no longer exists it was pulled down several years ago

Has anyone got more up to date info on poker tournaments in Danang

Another inquiry is I am old and do not like nightclubs or loud modern music. I want to go to a bar sit on a stool and watch sports, or listen to old fashion good quality music such as REM ..Oasis...Bowie...kurt cobaine I did find Bamboo bar but could not find another bar which matches my tastes ....are there any bars like the bamboo bar on the other side of the river where expats/western tourists go

I am english but live in thailand, and I am considering moving to vietnam. I visited danang in July and played poker at the dragon club in the centre hotel. A few weeks ago I returned and discovered the poker room was closed for 2 days (for refurb) in late nov and has not re-opened. I looked for other clubs but no success in that the internet info was out of date ....the venues found on the internet were at hotels which are now closed  or as with danang poker and bridge club the registered address was at a building which no longer exists it was pulled down several years ago
  Has anyone got more up to date info on poker tournaments in Danang
   Another inquiry is I am old and do not like nightclubs or loud modern music. I want to go to a bar sit on a stool and watch sports, or listen to old fashion good quality music such as REM ..Oasis...Bowie...kurt cobaine I did find Bamboo bar but could not find another bar which matches my tastes ....are there any bars like the bamboo bar on the other side of the river where expats/western tourists go

-@johnbsuk

Hi John and welcome to the forum.

I used to be a regular Texas Hold-em player back in the states when I was single, so I can appreciate how important a regular poker venue can be.

Your post had me feeling a bit sad because the answers to both of your questions draw attention to the current sad state of affairs for many foreigners of certain demographics here in the Huế/Đà Nẵng/Hội An region:

The previously vibrant "expat bubbles" here have been mostly deflated due to the ravaging of businesses during COVID and changes to immigration rules with much stricter control of visas.

There aren't any official figures available, but in taking with other expats here who were also present around 2018 & 2019, we agree that there just isn't any support for businesses that used to attract a good number of baby boomers with some level of disposable income.

I don't feel it badly myself, because my wife and I live well away from the tourist-friendly areas and we experience a city which has otherwise recovered well.

We only venture over to or near the An Tượng tourist ghetto once or twice a month to eat at one of our few favorite restaurants in the area (Nhà Hàng Ngon Thị Hoa, Diner 66, Dirty Fingers, Poombah's)

But almost anyone who invested significantly in businesses meant to profit from foreigners has taken a huge hit financially, and there's no clear sign yet of any return to the way things used to be.

The only suggestions I can make for western bars are Vertigo, the Shamrock Pub and Dirty Fingers, but the music may not perfectly match your tastes.

IMO, this entire region is a great place to be married to a Vietnamese woman, but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't want to come here as a single Baby Boomer.

Good luck with your searching.

thanks for reply any info on pokers games?