I intend to arrive Ho Chi Minh City for one month TEFL course

My name is Godson from Nigeria. I intend to arrive Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam for a one month TEFL course. I already bought a one way ticket but I was told I could be denied entry for not having a return ticket. So, I'm wondering if it's possible to book a bus ticket to Cambodia as onward destination? Can I do this online or is there a way around?

I'm considering teaching English in Vietnam after my course, so booking a return ticket won't be feasible.

Moderated by Bhavna 9 months ago
Reason : Incorrect
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I  also doubt that anyone will hire you with a one month TEFL course and no experience teaching it?

If you have Nigerian accented English, make that zero chance of teaching English and certainly not in a school.

Most teaching jobs aren't guaranteed anyway, so a return ticket is good insurance even if not required. You can always change the return date on the ticket on most airlines.

My name is Godson from Nigeria. I intend to arrive Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam for a one month TEFL course. I already bought a one way ticket but I was told I could be denied entry for not having a return ticket. So, I'm wondering if it's possible to book a bus ticket to Cambodia as onward destination? Can I do this online or is there a way around?
I'm considering teaching English in Vietnam after my course, so booking a return ticket won't be feasible.

-@godsontn

If you are entering Vietnam using an evisa, usually there isn't any problem with a demand for "proof of onward travel".

Almost all reports of this issue causing a problem are connected to visa exemptions, which wouldn't apply to anyone with a Nigerian passport.

HOWEVER, airlines can sometimes demand such proof before you depart Nigeria, depending on your complete travel itinerary and which connecting airlines will be handling you.

You should call all airlines well ahead of your trip to find out their policy in your specific situation.

Even if they say it's no problem, your idea of a bus ticket into Cambodia is a tried and true insurance policy that's been used successfully by many forum members in the past.

A reservation isn't enough.

It would need to be proof of a fully paid ticket.

Once you arrive safely in Vietnam, you could immediately apply for a refund from the bus company, if you have no plans of making that trip.

Good luck!

-@godsontn

Hello Godson, and welcome to expat.com.

As well as OceanBeach92107's correct information regarding "proof of onward travel", I invite you to read a recent post regarding VN's newly enacted legislation, "New Foreign English Teachers Requirements Decision 4159/QD-BGDDT" (Link).

I'm curious as to the type of, and the validity dates for, the visa you will be using to enter VN. If you are entering on a "Tourist" eVisa, I'm hoping you've taken advantage of eVisas now being available/valid for up to 90 days. Applications are accepted through VN immigration's eVisa web portal, here. (Link. Click "FOR FOREIGNERS")

Feel free to jump in and contribute to any of our ongoing threads (Link), or to open a new topic of your own for discussion.

@TaurusTiger

My qualification is not limited to the TEFL certification, I already have a degree. I also have experience as a teacher, although briefly (I taught Geography to high school students for about a year).

Are you saying I have no chance of getting employed as a teacher in Vietnam?

@OceanBeach92107

Thank you so much for your kind response. Your input is quite helpful.

Hello everyone and welcome @godsontn !

Please note that this new thread has been created from your post on the Ho Chi Minh City forum so that you may better interact.

All new members are most welcome to read the articles of the Living in Vietnam Guide for first-hand infos.

All the best

Bhavna