New guy looking for a better life

I am going to Cebu February 1st will be there until the 6th staying by the Ayala Mall in the IT Park then I'm going down to Panasaga beach ,3 or 4 hours south, for 10 days , I definitely need to go to Puerto princesa or El Nido which one do you guys recommend looking for a different lifestyle ready to settle down I'm 65  straight and songle. and healthy and I'm happy secure , this is a one month exploratory trip before I pack up permanently please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated bless us all. Should I go to doing spaghetti or another place for 5 days trying to line up my multi-trip airline ticket, can you trust these hotels and places that are renting out rooms on bookings.com are they pretty valid for what they say I mean 80% would be good. Hey maybe there's some expats and Cebu I can become friends write me back man peace brothers and sisters.

@expander28 not fo spaghetti , Dumaguete..lol

Welcome to expat.com expander28.  Hopefully there are others on here that can give more specific answers to your questions about Cebu and Palawan.  We are in Baguio for 4 months, in the mountains, our family home is near Vigan in Ilocos Sur on Luzon.

I was amused when I read  that you are doing spaghetti,  did not want to disappoint you but not much available.  The most popular native fast food place , Jollibee, does serve spaghetti,  I do not recommend it.

To help us to get to know you, could you tell us if you were ever to the Philippines previously, and if so where and when and under what circumstances.   Seeking female companionship is a full time occupation for most single,unattached males.  Did you ever use any resources on line to seek women?  Hope we can help you get ready for your exploration.

@expander28

I'm 65  straight and songle. and healthy and I'm happy secure

Why throw all that away?

expander28 said. . . . I'll take a songle order of  spaghetti and I don't have osteoporosis.

@expander...sounds like you're visiting as a tourist. While this visit is a good exploratory visit, don't think like a tourist while on an exploratory trip. Slow down, you got time. Filipino spaghetti is an acquired taste, they use ketchup, sugar and sliced hotdog in it.

With regards to your hotel bookings - if you book hotels with a free cancellation policy (normally 48 or 72 hours before arrival) you can always change your plans. Cebu Pacific seems to run a lot of promo fares so flights could be booked with them for internal travel and if you are starting and finishing your trip in Cebu, maybe the hotel in Cebu would be willing to store your luggage for you. You can always contact the hotels to find out.

@expander...sounds like you're visiting as a tourist. While this visit is a good exploratory visit, don't think like a tourist while on an exploratory trip. Slow down, you got time. Filipino spaghetti is an acquired taste, they use ketchup, sugar and sliced hotdog in it.

-@Jackson4

Sheldon Cooper's favorite meal

@expander28. What up bro...  sounds like a good start on exploring the Philippines... First time?  Whats your goal?  Looking for a place to throw an anchor, or more nomadic lifestyle?  Looking for a gal?  As far as Palawan goes... Puerto Princesa is cheaper to fly into... and has more conveniences... but the El Nido area is really beautiful, and definitely a must see.  I personally have flown into Princesa a couple times... hung out... rented a car... and drove across the entire island... Love it... Underground river is a must see... and 100 caves (30 minutes from underground river) is also a great tour if your knees are still good! (:

(Little workout).

As for as flights go... I usually search cebu pacific and Philippine Air sites directly, and compare... one way fares are handy and allow more flexibility to stay longer if you wish... anyways... I suggest doing what your doing for at least a couple months before throwing anchor.  In regards to spaghetti... There are a shit ton of ex pats there... especially Valencia area... I live across the water from there in Dapitan/Tag Ulo area... and we visit every couple months... Anyways... Cheers 🍻  Good Luck, keep your eyes open, and have fun.

Philippines is an interesting place and not for everyone.  I have noticed that the average person seems to last about 5 years there.  Once past 5 years they tend to stay permanent.   I start to get annoyed with it at 6 weeks and the most I have ever stayed is 6 months at which time I need to leave,  So thinking 1 month is not enough of an exploratory trip.  Nothing bad about the PI's just not for me and planning a trip for me and the wife to visit her family.   6 week trip which is my limit.   

-@Jackson4

Yes all those wretched dogs in road accidents don't go to waste. Just like Pagbag

With regards to your hotel bookings - if you book hotels with a free cancellation policy (normally 48 or 72 hours before arrival) you can always change your plans. Cebu Pacific seems to run a lot of promo fares so flights could be booked with them for internal travel and if you are starting and finishing your trip in Cebu, maybe the hotel in Cebu would be willing to store your luggage for you. You can always contact the hotels to find out.

-@Cherryann01

maybe the hotel in Cebu would be willing to store your luggage for you

If you are staying at the Seda hotel next to Ayala Mall in Cebu City say hello to Miss Gwen Dela Cruz, (the hotel manager) from me :)

@mugteckthank not spaghetti, I meant Dumegte,

1 st time coming there for 30 days to begin , tired of old consumerism in America Western women ain't what they used to be and life is getting really expensive over here looking for a more laid-back Beach atmosphere that I can relax do you think I need to go home one of those dating sites I'm not sure they don't work here in the USA.

expander28 said to mugteck. . . . not spaghetti, I meant Dumegte,

Repeat after me three times: "DUMAGUETE"

spaghetti

spaghetti

spaghetti

@Prince James

I will extend my travel visa if it's to my likings then I can spend more time there just not sure where to go, like I said I'm looking for something relaxed reasonable you know I still want an air conditioner and some comfort however I do need good internet , because  I will be trading the futures. I am a very low maintenance person I just not show what time to go to I'm definitely going to be in Cebu I'm going to go down in panasaga beach and do some diving etc. from there maybe Dumegte , I'm really not coming as far as a Tourist,   Puerto princessa, el Nido or Palowon¿ Which one?

@expander28

Welcome to the forum and hope some of the answers help, oh and have a thick skin here on this site as you will need it.

Just a thought I think your itinerary is pretty tight for a 30 day trip especially if you include Palawan. From Cebu Island you can check out so many local places, there is so much to see and take in there and honestly, and as always only my opinion once you taste the flavours and culture in Visayas it's pretty similar to the rest of the Philippines.

I would spend my 30 days knocking around the Islands there then perhaps next trip try Luzon or Mindanao.

The Philippines is an acquired taste and not for everyone, also it is not as cheap to live here as it was 4/5 years ago, same as most countries and you will see that when you visit. We all wish you good luck in your travels.

Cheers, Steve.

First I will be spending 5 days in Cebu  Feb 1 to Feb 6 th Well I'm already booked in  Panasaga Beach till Feb. 13th , First I would be spending 5 days in Cebu Beach I can cancel Panasaga at no cost.., please tell me what you recommend I am looking for everything every 65-year-old healthy good man wants in life very low maintenance I am and enjoy staying active of course I'm looking for a mate a female mate. Please let me know what you think I should do what is your opinion should I stick with the islands in the beaches or should I go into provinces?

I think you mentioned a v i e n d a towers I'm booked for Tower number two I believe you said Tower number one can you tell me something I don't know being I've never been there before like location difference between Tower one and Tower two?

@expander28

I just saw your post #16.

Puerto Princessa is the main city on Palawan Island and central, last time I flew in there it was a 5/6 hour bus ride to get to El Nido, great spot to visit, plenty to do but too isolated for me.

I/we retired to La Union in central west Luzon on a very quiet beach 4 klicks from town, 30 minutes to a perfect private hospital and 40 minutes to several malls, no barking dogs or roosters, no traffic until town, quiet Neighbours, mountain and sea breezes.

Take your time.

Cheers, Steve.

@Cherryann01

Thank you very much.

@Enzyte Bob you're too f****** funny dude outrageous LOL

@expander28. What up bro...  sounds like a good start on exploring the Philippines... First time?  Whats your goal?  Looking for a place to throw an anchor, or more nomadic lifestyle?  Looking for a gal?  As far as Palawan goes... Puerto Princesa is cheaper to fly into... and has more conveniences... but the El Nido area is really beautiful, and definitely a must see.  I personally have flown into Princesa a couple times... hung out... rented a car... and drove across the entire island... Love it... Underground river is a must see... and 100 caves (30 minutes from underground river) is also a great tour if your knees are still good! (:
(Little workout).
As for as flights go... I usually search cebu pacific and Philippine Air sites directly, and compare... one way fares are handy and allow more flexibility to stay longer if you wish... anyways... I suggest doing what your doing for at least a couple months before throwing anchor.  In regards to spaghetti... There are a shit ton of ex pats there... especially Valencia area... I live across the water from there in Dapitan/Tag Ulo area... and we visit every couple months... Anyways... Cheers 🍻  Good Luck, keep your eyes open, and have fun.

-@Wellsfry

@mugteckthank not spaghetti, I meant Dumegte,
1 st time coming there for 30 days to begin , tired of old consumerism in America Western women ain't what they used to be and life is getting really expensive over here looking for a more laid-back Beach atmosphere that I can relax do you think I need to go home one of those dating sites I'm not sure they don't work here in the USA.

-@expander28t

The dating sites work in the USA, but I was not recommending that you use them.  Was curious, since you have never been to the Philippines, if you were using them as part of your research.  As you know, gonna be a little warmer in the Philippines than San Diego, you will find yourself requiring air conditioning, looking for shade when you are out and about.  Sounds like your biggest problem could be reliable internet, it varies greatly from place to place, is terrible in Ilocos Sur, cannot even go online and play hearts on Playok like I can in the US.   The time difference could also be a factor as the Philippines is 16 hours ahead of West Coast time.  Make it a point to inspect wifi  where ever you go.  Plenty of capitalism here, keeps the price of food down..   

@expander28 thanks dude I appreciate that I was planning to see boot for 5 days I was going to go to Panasaga Beach for 7 days , check out the whale sharks etc then should I go to El Nido or Palowon or Puerto princessa?  To hunt for a reasonable wife and life.?🤠

Golly mate, talk about putting the cart before the horse.

Firstly Palawan is the Island, Puerto Princessa and El Nido are part of it.

As for finding a nice lady? Plenty here but as suggested first see if the Philippines is your cup of tea.

Plenty to take in in Visayas first.

Cheers, Steve.

I'm an American going to the Philippines for 30 days to check it out explore I'm fed up with Western women, I know they all want something but it's getting pretty ridiculous here in the states going to the Philippines looking you know for some fun activities settle down looking for a better life and a better life any suggestions I'll be in Cebu February 1st and then I'm going down south to Panasaga beach , all open for the next 20 days to do what I wish to do just undecided at the moment and he suggestions would be great.

expander28 said. . . . I'm an American going to the Philippines for 30 days to check it out explore I'm fed up with Western women, I know they all want something.

You've been looking for a western woman in the wrong place (Walmart).

Try Whole Foods Market, next time.

Just want to stay happy mate.

@expander28

What makes you think women are any different here?

If you latch onto a lovely lady here you will be supporting her and probably half her family, told you in another thread to come here and taste the flavours and learn the culture before making rash choices. Slowly with small steps until you are comfortable with the way of life here and all the complications. There are plenty.

We will see your thoughts after your holiday. Good luck and be careful, don't splash your cash about and be humble. Different culture.

Cheers, Steve.

Then walk slowly but always carry a big stick.

The many old sayings? "fools rush in" "Out of the frying pan" etc.

Enjoy your holiday but don't expect too much, it's just another country to explore.

Cheers, Steve.

@Enzyte Bob.... What kind of spaghetti? 

@expander28

Interesting choice to find a gal in Palawan.... But ya... definitely doable... there are many small "provincial" towns between Puorto Princesa, and El Nido...  As far as dating sites... I cannot discourage you too much since I met my amazing Lyn on Filipino Cupid... There are good gals on it... but keep in mind... ALOT also on it just to get an "allowance" from us "rich" Foreigners... My first gal I met is an example... Scammer...  but if you are there... I would guess you won't have a hard time at all... Plenty in the stores, markets, etc... Good Luck!

Wellsfry asked me. . . . What kind of spaghetti? 

Since you asked, I prefer Fusilli or Rotini.

But when you visit Angles City try Angels Hair.

If that women in Angles City has pimples try Zitti

You were seeking a travel companion on another thread and also mention that you might want to try Dumaguete so I may have something of interest to you. I saw a You Tube video some time last year with Paul (Old Dog New Tricks) and he was interviewing 3 young ladies who were employed by a company that wanted to tap into the Ex Pat/Tourist market.

In short they offer a tour guide service to tourists and for a fee will spend the day with you going wherever you wish. Island hoping, shopping, visiting water falls, hiking, adventure sports and more. I am not sure if they will actually travel and spend a few days or longer with you but you can enquire. That would bring additional cost, like flights, ferries and if they agree you would need to book the lady a single room at the same hotel you are staying in.

For somebody who has just arrived and is planning to retire there, they offer other services. These include showing you the best and cheapest places to buy food, showing you how to use the local transport and looking for houses and condos to rent. They also offer many other services useful to get settled in to a new life over there.

@Cherryann01

I do recall that vlog by Old Dog Cherryanne , not necessarily for all the right reasons. Remember the 'group' hug? I certainly remember Yolanda with the split dress and the mischievous swivel eyes. 1f923.svg She's gagging for a man to look after her. 

@Cherryann01 Can zi get the name to this service pleas

@Cherryann01

Cherry you have been very helpful thank you.