New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourselves here - 2024

Welcome to the forums.  This is for introductions and welcomes. Please open a thread with your questions.

@Julien Hello to all, my name is Greg and the wife and I are considering the move to the dominican. We'll have a budget of approximately 3500.00 cdn and curious if this income would be enough to do the move. We're heading to casa marina @the end of the month to check out the town of Sosua any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks so much looking forward to your response good or bad.

@Julien Hello to all, my name is Greg and the wife and I are considering the move to the dominican. We'll have a budget of approximately 3500.00 cdn and curious if this income would be enough to do the move. We're heading to casa marina @the end of the month to check out the town of Sosua any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks so much looking forward to your response good or bad.

-@gregmacdougall43

You will need to clarify. 3500 cdn budget for what exactly?

@RockyM oh OK I'm looking for a place to rent not directly in the town but somewhere close.

Welcome to the forums!!!  You will find a lot of great info here. Yes your budget will likely be adequate.

You want someone to tell you if 3500 cdn is enough to live on. No one can do that for you. Everyone's life style is different. Look at the other threads here regarding cost of living in the DR, particularly Sosua, and make a budget for yourself.

Ok I will thanks so much I didn't think of going back to other threads.

Hi everyone,

My name is Charlotte, I moved two weeks ago in La Romana with my husband and daughter of 4 years old. I'm french and my husband is portuguese.

We came for our work and we are looking to meet other families so our daughter could make friends before to start school next year.

Welcome to the forums! I am sure you will find a lot of good info in the various threads!

Hello all,

I am looking to move ot the DR. I have visited at least 25 times in the last 6 years and have gone back and forth with moving there or not. After visiting several areas of the country (except the border area) I am pretty much set on Las Terrenas BUT prices have skyrocketed in the last few years and I feel I wouldn't be getting the bang for my buck I want. Anywhere else I should look that has a similar flair?

Thanks all!

Welcome to the forums.  Lots to read and learn here.

Hello all,

I am JB currently living in the US but thinking of investing in Piantini to spend more time there and potentially retire as well. I am self-employed and would like to connect with the Expat community to learn more from your experience and add value when possible. 

Cheers!

Welcome JB to the forums. There is a lot of info in the various threads.  Start reading honey and add to each one as you choose!  If you don't see what applies feel free to open a thread!

Hello All, I'm Felipe. I'm new to this forum but I'm not new to the DR. I've been here 6 years with my family. I was born and raised in Washington D.C.  I'm a Dominican citizen by heredity as are my kids. My parents were Dominican, and I have a TON of uncles, aunts, and cousins here. I look forward to sharing with the folks on this forum. 1f601.svg

Hi Felipe,

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome Felipe. We.look forward to your contributions and insights

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are both from the Montreal, Canada region and aRE in the planning stages in order to spend the winter months (3+) in Punta cana, while working full-time remote  for our specific employers.

Our main concerns are power outages and Interent speed both will prevent us to work as we spend many hours a day using Teams or ZOOM.

We are currently looking for a condo in either Punta Cana Village or El Cortecito area, anyone aware of the power and interent situation in these areas.

Thanks and very happy to join this  community.

Hi there and welcome! The electric company in Punta Cana is private so the power outages prevalent in many areas of the country are not an issue. Of course, it's always a possibility that the power can go out just as it may where you live in Montreal, but it is definitely not a daily occurrence nor the norm. And you can check with Claro for an internet package. You'll have high speed internet. :-)

Welcome to the forums! You will find an abundance of info within the various threads! Happy reading! Ask questions as needed.

@plannerCame to the DR in 1994 working for a US company, went back and forth Actually ended up working for someone the DR in one of the free trade zones, left in 2003,  I  knew eventually   would   retire   here.   have been retired and living the DR going on 4 years, this site seems more informative than ***. One never finishes learning about the DR and its culture. Of course it has its pluses and minuses, but living in the US is very stressful

@ddmcghee Hey Denise! Thanks so much for this post. Trying to figure out how to post my intro. Do I reply to the Jan 2024 post or "New Topic"? Maybe silly question. Please advise lol Thanks!

Hello Everyone!

I currently reside in the states, but grew up; and was educated in Jarabacoa.

Am planning a visit later this year, hopefully to connect with some of you expats; and will be driving all around the island to find my perfect place for relocation.

My favorite beach is Los Patos, south of Barahona; but I don't think I'll find any expats that remote!.

Best Regards,

Jeff

Welcome to the forums. Keep us updated on your travels!

@professoranikkig Hi - you can just post it just like you did your first post!

Hi everyone;

I'm working near Toronto, Canada and thinking of stopping working in the next few years and travelling while spending about half the year in the DR. 

I hope to do some exploratory visits, starting in the next month.

Will be seeking suggestions of places to check out in a separate thread.

Regards,

Bill

Hello, I'm Anthony. I baught a condo in Bayahibe last year. I fell in love with the town and decided to move here. I am a realtor from Montreal and decided i would also get into the real estate market in the Dominican 🇩🇴. This is a great forum for people looking for information and guides. It helped me alot along the way!! If anyone is looking or thinking about moving or investing in the Dominican i would be more than happy to help as best i can!

Welcome to the forums. Real estate here is very different. Keep us posted along the way!

Good morning! Just finished registering for this site. My wife and I recently completed a cruise that included the DR as a port stop (Puerto Plata). We have started trying to figure out where we want to live when we retire in 6 or 7 years and after some discussion and preliminary poking around we think the DR might just be the place. During my search for information I found this site and decided it would be a great resource moving forward, so here I am! Our plan is to take a couple of week long (minimum) vacations in the DR, probably in different areas, in the next couple of years to scout things out, experience the culture more, and see if it really is something we are interested in. If it happens we would very likely rent initially and we would split our time between the DR and Vermont (which is where we call home). We have a permanent camp that we own where we could stay during the summer months and if we decided to come home at Christmas or something we could stay with family. We did think about a southern state but one of the allures of this plan is that we will be able to live quite well on my retirement income in the DR, much better than anywhere else. So, off to start reading the forums!

@sparks1093 Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you have a good plan!

@planner thank you! That is one of the things DW is worried about, planning it all out. Of course much can change between now and the time we retire (we make our plans and hear God laughing, right?) but that is what flexibility is for. I am glad that I found this forum and have already benefited from it, so it's a great resource.

@staceyromeo10 that's unfortunate but in all of my travels I have found that people are people wherever you go and in many places it's anything goes with outsiders.

Let's keep this thread to introductions and welcome comment please?

Hello 🤗,

I'm Bruce and currently live in Florida, I plan on moving to the DR around February of 2025, I've been researching Puerto Plata and Punta Cana as possible places to live.  I'd like to be within walking distance from the beach if possible.  I'm seeking a 2 bedroom 2 Bath apartment or house as close to city center as possible as I don't plan on buying a vehicle and will use the local transportation as needed.  My budget is approximately $3k USD which from what I've read should allow me to live comfortably?  I plan on eating local foods and typically prefer cooking over eating out unless I'm feeling lazy 😎...Any feedback is greatly appreciated, many blessings 🙏

Thanks 😊

Buenas Ed here visa approved on my way.

Welcome to the forums. You will find a lot of great info in the various threads!!!

@ddmcghee

Thank you for sharing

Hello all!

My name is Darian Lewis. I am from Ohio, US. My wife is Dominican/American, she grew up in New York which is where we met and got married. We decided to raise our kids in The Dominican Republic. We have lived here for 13 years. The first 10 years we lived in the area of Santiago, we loved the surrounding “campos”, or countryside. However, about three years ago I was offered a job in Punta Cana, working with a real estate brand from the US. They were looking to sign experienced agents, I got my real estate license back in 2007. The whole family loves living in Punta Cana. My wife and I decided to start our own brand in real estate. It's been an exciting experience so far. We are getting to be creative, using parts of our brains we hadn't used in a while😁  I am happy be in this forum, read your experiences and answer any questions you all have about the relocating process, starting a business, Santiago or Punta Cana.

Welcome to the forums!

@Julien

Hi everyone - we are Don and Judy MacLennan from near Winnipeg, Canada. I am a retired Winnipeg Police Officer and Judy is a semi retired RN. We have spent the last few winters around the Sosua/Cabarete area and have booked a place by Las Terrenas this year. We both love the DR and are planning to look and purchase while there this winter.