Moving to Vietnam with personal belongings

Hi,

I have read some alarming messages here saying that used goods can't be imported.

Surely there must be an exception for persons who are moving to the country because they are married with a Vietnamese woman. I am not leaving behind an address and I don't anticipate leaving Vietnam in the future. Many countries have import exemptions when taking up residence.

There are some items that I really don't want to depart with, like some antiques (mostly heirlooms), art and other decorative items (mainly vintage), memorabilia, a couple of guitars, HiFi equipment, clothes (from brands which are hard to find here, especially in my size), accessories, shoes (big size).......

It is far too much to take with me on the plane but the items are not very large and can be shipped with FedEx.

Anyone on the forum who has experience with moving personal belongings to Vietnam? Or someone who can give some info how to avoid having the goods rejected? Or even better, how to avoid paying import taxes? It would be much appreciated.

I've br many personal items plus special tecbician tools and meters -  whatever would fit in a suitcase and never been questioned.

The prices quoted by Fedex far exceeded the cost of return airfares, so if it fits in a suitcase and meets the weight restrictions - Id look at that option. Most airlines have a 22kg free per two suitcases- ie 45kg total.

Paying excess weight fee isnt excessive.

The non inspection of luggage is at discretion of customs, and may depend on your visa?

'I'd wait for more replies to make a decision but this has been my experience.

You might want to see what others say about goods going missing in transit?

@taurealist

Right, I was planning to buy excess luggage on the plane and use it for the items that are most dear to me. Still, on one trip I can't take all of it. And to be honest, I was hoping this is going to be my last long-haul flight. It is always an ordeal with my back problems. So, just flying to move goods is big no no for me.

There are not many airlines where you can take a 45kg luggage in economy class. Bamboo airlines departing from Frankfurt or London was the only one I ever used with such a generous allowance but they cancelled these routes. They had good service and sold very inexpensive airfares if you booked in advance.

Fortunately, there are much cheaper couriers as FedEx from the Netherlands. I am not so concerned about costs.

I was thinking to send all clothes and shoes in one or more suitcases, so it looks like it was lost in transit. If I stick a toothbrush in there and some cosmetics, I can't imagine customs will reject it.

Ok - my recommendation is to take what you can on the plane, and then ship the rest by sea - defintely not fedex or other courier / post. It is not that they are expensive / bad or anything - but there is no-one to look after your interests with such shipments. You need a suitable agent in Vietnam and your home country. I have done this myself twice. Firstly - more than 10 years ago the new tenant in my house in the UK did not want my furniture in my house, and I had some nice stuff, so I had it shipped to me in central Vietnam (bed - ah a european mattress again! and nice italian sofa - still sitting on it today). It was all put together in a ply box, which then went in a container. When I left UK more than 15 years ago, I had packed all my personal belongings into storage, but then 10 years ago, I decided to sell up, and so i shipped the lot out to Vietnam, a whole container load; furniture, 1000s of book, 1000s of records, my hi-fi, all my hand tools - electrical, plumbing, carpentry, car and bike maintenance, family heirloom porcelein, crockery and bamboo furniture that I hads imported from Vietnam previously....., It all arrived fine, with only what I remember as fair and reasonable import tax charges. So - it all depends on having the right agent in Vietnam to support you. Mine was in centrtal Vietnam, and if someone advises me on how to share their details with you without comprising this apps rules, I am happy to!

Air Tags are worth the expense to track luggage.

i always travel economy class and unless changes are recent,  International flights 2 free pieces from

North America at least.

I use clothes to wrap breakables or just to cushion the contents. My preference to ship everything mixed. I put small breakables in shoes for example. Pack neatly, and layer. Take photos of each layer….

Depending on costs again, it is still cheaper for me to buy a return ticket than use a Courier. 

Hi all

i regulary send 30 kilos of personal items via parcel force worldwide from the uk. £135 per 30 kilos never had a problem. Sent about 20 so far, as i too am relocating to Vietnam. Not only personal possesions but also educational equipment for the business my wife and i are starting.

regards

bb

@Michael Boylan

Good to hear this. I assume that customs are keen to reject used goods which could be subject to trade but not so when it is evident the box contains personal belongings.

Not sure about UK, but here in Houston, Texas, USA we use a Vietnamese Shipping Company. They are exteremly reliable and very inexpensive. We use them regularly to ship and everytime the items are received within a couple of week intact. I'm sure there are such firms in any Asian/Vietnamese section of western cities. Also, send money at half the rate of bank wire.

@Michael Boylan
Good to hear this. I assume that customs are keen to reject used goods which could be subject to trade but not so when it is evident the box contains personal belongings.

-@Kiteflyer

just one big tip for you to keep yourself from being unsatisfied.

if you go back through this thread, on at least three different occasions you have assumed something and said basically that such and such a thing must be true, or you assume it to be so.

You're setting yourself up for big disappointments & frustrations with that type of thinking, manifesting with a lot of anger against the Vietnamese for no reason other than you making assumptions about things that are simply not true here in this country.

I truly do wish you well with your plans

As usual good advice from OceanBeach.

FYI - I had a nightmare with a book parcel from the US - nearly got incinerated by Customs. So just cos it worked for someone else, worked once already......

Also - as far as I am aware for Vietnam, Fedex is only business to business (not insurmountable... but would need to be dealt with).

@devarj57

do you know of a similar service in Canada?

I have many books  to ship and they don't travel well in suitcases…

@OceanBeach92107

Thanks for the advice. After on and off in Vietnam for thirteen years, I got accustomed that many things are a hit or miss.

And yes, I got frustrated and sometimes angry in the past. I can write a thick book about what has gone wrong. For example, you want a to order from a local store a product which is available in two colors. Now I believe you might have more luck getting the one you want, by ordering the color you don't want. Over the years my frustration has subsided however. I also learned to be more cautious and write as much as possible on the order form or contract.

With the HiFi set and guitars I am definitely not going to take a risk. Next week I will pay a visit to the VN consulate and ask if they know more.

Presently I am in Europe and are returning at the end of the year. Hopefully, the Vietnamese embassy here will issue me a TRC (during my last visit there they said they can provide this document). Once back in Vietnam I will start the PRC application. It will take 4 months at most.

Presently I am in Europe and are returning at the end of the year. Hopefully, the Vietnamese embassy here will issue me a TRC (during my last visit there they said they can provide this document). Once back in Vietnam I will start the PRC application. It will take 4 months at most.        -@Kiteflyer

As with so many things in Vietnam, interpretations of laws and regulations vary by place.   My previous understanding was that TRC and PRC could only be issued from within the country as the logic is that one must be in the country to be "resident."  If the VN Embassy in The Netherlands will issue you a TRC then that's great  1f44d.svg  but nobody in another country should assume the same.  Call first.  Also please don't be figuratively "holding your breath" for the 4 months to the PRC.   Remember you are in Vietnam.  1f644.svg Good luck.

Hello everyone,

Please note that the 2 last posts has been added to this thread of the Vietnam forum (post was published on the wrong thread).

All the best

Bhavna

@Bhavna

My last contribution was posted a while back on another thread and it actually belonged there. Since then, I have discovered and shared that the consulate in the Netherlands does not issue a TRC or PRC and need to apply for one in Vietnam. Only a TT visa is available.

However, I also learned that one can get it at the airport. A invitation letter sent from the sponsor (my spouse) and issued by the immigration office is required. I have decided to go this route and no need to undertake a half day ride to the consulate for this matter.

@Bhavna
My last contribution was posted a while back on another thread and it actually belonged there. Since then, I have discovered and shared that the consulate in the Netherlands does not issue a TRC or PRC and need to apply for one in Vietnam. Only a TT visa is available.

However, I also learned that one can get it at the airport. A invitation letter sent from the sponsor (my spouse) and issued by the immigration office is required. I have decided to go this route and no need to undertake a half day ride to the consulate for this matter.

-@Kiteflyer

I've never heard of a TRC or PRC being issued at any airport.

What was the source of this new knowledge you learned?

@OceanBeach92107

......I meant a TT visa is available at the airport if you bring the right documents.

Presently I am in Europe and are returning at the end of the year. Hopefully, the Vietnamese embassy here will issue me a TRC (during my last visit there they said they can provide this document). Once back in Vietnam I will start the PRC application. It will take 4 months at most.

-@Kiteflyer

Have you ever had a TRC?

You are required to have 3 years residency (as in a 3 year TRC) before you can be considered for a 5 year PRC

Yes, I am aware of the 3 year residency requirement for a PRC. And no, I did not have a TRC before.

@devarj57

Hello DevarJ, I'm looking to move to Vietnam in the secomd half of this year. I noted in your comments you've been using a reliable Vietnamese shipping company, would you be so kind to send me their details.

Also, you mention sedning money at half the rate of bank wire. Would love ot hear more on how you've managed to keep your expenses down on moving and finance transactions.

cheers

Andrew

@noddi

Hello Noddi,

I've just joined the exPat forum and noticed you seem quite epxerienced with moving personal items to Vietnam. Here's a run down of what I'm planning to do and hope you could provide some guidance based on your experiences of moving personal goodss into Vietnam.

I'm currently located in Sydney, Australia. I'm planning to move to Vietnam in the second half of 2024 on a TRC Visa initially, and then a PRC later on. I actually own an export / import company, but we dont own any of the actually shipping or processes as its typically handled by the shipper with all paperwork since its a consoldated FCL container of sold goods. We simply handle the commercials and trade only.

So when it comes to personal items, this is where it gets a little grey for me.

My aim is to use the shipping agents i already know here in Sydney who are Vietnamese, they can also pack my container, have the container road trasnported to the port, load onto a ship and have it sent by sea to HCMC Cat Lai port, at the HCMC end, there is another conencted agent who will pickup the container from the Cat Lai port and then road transport the container to its final desitnation, near Phan Thiet, about 5hrs north east of HCMC on the coast.

So its good that at least I know one shipper who will ship personal items, but unfortunately they dont handle any of the personal paperwork necessary for Vietnamese Customs. My aim is to buy a  20ft container here in Australia, pack it then ship and deliver, as I want to use the container for storage at the aother end, when it arrives near Phan Thiet city.

From what I undertand, below is the basic outline of what paperwork is required by Vietnamese customs to accept and clear my personal items ; (the main sticky point is the Packing List, I'm not 100% sure what I need to place onto this document?)  ;

1.    Bill of lading (telex release) – (I understand this fully)

2.    Packing list – Not clear on what is required

3.    Copy of passport, visa, residence card - (I understand this fully)

4.    Working permit / License for establishment of representative office, branch of the company -(I understand this fully)

5.    Authorize letter (client is not to present personally at customs/port for clearance) - (I understand this fully as I will be present at Customs/port to clear my personal goods)

6.    Arrival Declaration Card (to show you have an unaccompanied shipment) -(I understand this fully)

However, I'm not 100% clear on the following either and hope you can assist to clear these up for me ;

1.    What exact details are required by Vietnam Customs for the “Packing List” documents. For example, Do I need to detail things such as,

•     Product name
  •     Make
  •     Model,
  •     Serial Number
  •     Net Weight of item
  •     Dimension of items,
  •     Provide photos of each item?
  •     Estimated price (new or used) to determine customs duty etc .. etc… Not sure about this as some of my stuff is 10years old and not worth any money, just   sentimental to me.

2.    I believe there may also be a legal requirement to have a Vietnamese in-country shipping agent to handle the incoming shipment and documentation or such as a mandatory legal requirement in Vietnam?  I read this somewhere but not sure if its a legal requirement?

3.    The information on several shipping websites outlining what can or cant be imported is not clear, especially on what can be imported as a personal item into Vietnam, its does state forbidden products which is quite clear, however for example I've read on some websites you cannot bring in certain items but on other sites you can. Very confusing.

What has been your experience with items you may have sent to Vietnam, such as Televisions, Computers, Computer Equipment - like LCD monitors, Kitchen appliances, kitchen utensils and crockery, Pushbike?, Basic Tools, Electric Tools, Records, CD's, other electrical items, furniture, paintings, etc...

Would very much appreciate your guidance as it sounds like you've been through the process a few times and know most of the pro's and con's ;)

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Andrew

@devarj57
Hello DevarJ, I'm looking to move to Vietnam in the secomd half of this year. I noted in your comments you've been using a reliable Vietnamese shipping company, would you be so kind to send me their details.

Also, you mention sedning money at half the rate of bank wire. Would love ot hear more on how you've managed to keep your expenses down on moving and finance transactions.

cheers
Andrew

-@NE96ME61

The Colonel is surely able to answer without my help, but just to clarify:

He's not talking about someone shipping household goods in connection with a move.

In general, he's referring to a shipping agent who helps send newly purchased items from the USA to Vietnam.

Also, he's referencing a method of money transfer that's used by many people here to receive funds from abroad, but that technique is technically illegal here in Vietnam, so it's not something that can be discussed further in the forum.

Good luck finding exactly what you need.

Many people who move here decide to bring along many household things as accompanied excess baggage, because of customs laws that make it expensive or impossible to import things through a household goods shipper.