Relocation in Shanghai

Hi to all,

I am planning to move Shanghai in coming 3 month as an expat in a international company.

However i could not convince my wife to move on.

She would like to continue working, and does not want to stay at home.

Her profession is project manager in IT projects of banking systems.

Considering she has no local Chinese, how is the chance of finding job options as an expat wife. What is overall perspective about job opportunities?

thanks for your feedback

@volkaneskici

Hello and welcome !

While waiting for members to respond, feel free to read the articles of the Work in Shanghai section of the Guide. You'll find some tips as well as information on the labour market.

Regards

Bhavna

Hi everyone. I am planning to move to Shanghai to teach in an international school. Is a salary of 37000 RMB/month (before tax) considered as a good salary in Shanghai? Just to clarify, this salary does not include housing and other benefits.

@chora

international western or international chinese?

For an experienced and qualified foreign teacher 37000 rmb would be in the lower level of the pay scale, housing is expensive, dependjng on the area, count on 5000-10000 rmb per month.

@Lmflmf1 37000 RMB does not include rents. There is housing allowance of 10000 RMB in addition to the salary.

@chor

!  i said you can pay from 5000-10000rmb depending on where you live for an apartment.  there is not an automatic 10000rmb allowance by any means! Depends in each owner indivi.

@Lmflmf1 Thank you very much. I understand. According to your response, it seems that the initial offer of a 37,000 RMB salary along with a 10,000 RMB housing allowance is on the lower side of the pay scale in Shanghai. Consequently, it appears advisable to engage in further negotiations to potentially secure a more competitive compensation package.

@chora

again, a stipend for rent added on to the salary will fluctuate between 5000 and 100000 rmb depending on if it is a single person or a family.

@volkaneskici

If she is properly qualified, she can work for an international company as most westerners dont speak chinese.  You can find great jobs which pay much more than in the USA and china's cost of living is much lower than the usa. its a win-win…