Starlink internet everywhere in Bulgaria

Elon Musk just wired up the whole of Bulgaria.

Just checking if anyone tried Starlink before I take the plunge?

@mickeyhart

I dont have it myself, but quite a few people in rural France have it. Its difficult to get internet in rural areas here, but apparently its pretty expensive by all accounts. Check out the prices before you commit.

30 DAY TRIAL

If not satisfied, return Starlink for a full refund.

https://www.starlink.com

Can't see Bulgaria listed?  Romania is

I checked the prices, bloody hell it's expensive.

Can't see Bulgaria listed?  Romania is

-@philip Mckay

Bulgaria is listed

I found the answer for price in Sofia:

BGN95/mo for service, BGN30/mo for hardware rental, and BGN100 activation charge.

( this is not bad, not expensive by American standards)

I have a question - Can and would you trust such an essential service that carries personal data to Musk?

I would if I had no choices left, but not until then.

Musk has all the character traits a man in charge of an Internet service provider should not have, especially if he gets anywhere near a monopoly.

I have ho problem with Musk.

We are being spied on any network we are.

I have ho problem with Musk.
We are being spied on any network we are.

-@TonyFF

Of course we are, mostly for advertising.

Musk is more dangerous than that.

Whilst much of the link is politically motivated crap, there's quite a few things to consider before using an Internet service run by him.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/04 … d-and-done

The 'pedo guy' bit is bad, but paying investigators in the hope of digging up dirt -  Ouch

@TonyFF

95 leva (and 880 hardware / maybe 30 hardware rental) might not be bad by American standards, but it sucks by Bulgarian standards. :-)

Vivacom (as an example, but A1/Yettel all have similar offerings) offers fibre broadband for around 20 leva... and mobile internet (for remote locations) ranging from 15 leva (4G, smaller data cap) to 30 leva (5G, unlimited). With small/no hardware cost.

Our village house has a local provider of fibre, he connected it directly to the house for 20 leva per month. Pretty good for a village in the mountains.

@gwynj many thanks for that information.  I have been poking around for prices and providers. 

As for Starlink,  I'm happy to be wrong,  but Elon Musk stated that Starlink will be the same price worldwide. $88 I think.  Mainly because there's supposed to be over 50k people waiting for hook up.   

Regards James.

I did some reseach for phone companies while in Bulgaria and will say the following:

Vivacom sucks- no good, poor service.

A1 appears to be better. They had a package deal in December for 28 leva for phone/internet/ tv per month. That is very good price and I may consider something like that. I just do not like that international calls are not free. And the negative part is they require  contract- I hate contracts!

I pay in America $15(  including taxes) for 5GB data, unlimited calls, texts( including sending via text photos( which by the way Vivacom does not have) and I have unlimited calls/texts to 60 countries in the world for free. ( I do not care about Viber etc. I do not use apps with my phone- I refuse to be policed by the government using apps!!!). Wonderfull wifi calling. NO CONTRACTS. I wll probably keep this US plan since I can call  for free internationally. 

Satelite internet option sounds good but if there is better deal with good coverage in Bulgaria I may go for that.

@Fred

I will get any provider that suits me financially.

If Musk provides good service at good prices I will get his service.

If someone else does- he gets my business. That's how it works for me.

Smear is very popular on internet and I spare my life  from reading it.

I enjoy life and  I stress on the positive in it:)

@TonyFF

Firstly its very difficult nigh impossible to get contracts on your prolonged stay residency, if you have a five year residency you're good to go. If you dont like big brother then you will have a shock about the beurocracy of life here in BG, yes you will be left alone in general but part of your annual checks according to my immigration officer in Vratsa is knowing exactly what you spent where, where you've stayed for how long etc etc.

I have no problem getting contracts( question is do I want them:)  My wife is Bulgarian.

She can get any service in Bulgaria,  bank accounts,  she can buy house , anything. That is not the point.

I do not plan to get permanent residency in the near future. I am totally ok with prolonged residence .

@TonyFF

Then just crack on and get what you want or dont want. Residency is not a one size fits all and maybe an attitude adjustment wouldn't go amiss.

@TonyFF

I pay 30lv per month..for internet..and TV programs..so this starlink rip off is over 3 times as much....stay well away..

@mickeyhart..are you the Mickey Hart

From Charlton by any chance.?

@wtruckyboy

Thank  you and everyone in this forum  for giving good advice on deals.

@TonyFF
I pay 30lv per month..for internet..and TV programs..so this starlink rip off is over 3 times as much....stay well away..

-@wtruckyboy

Blimey mate. Hows it a rip off when theres no ISP up my way? We dont all get 30 leva deals!