Is My Coffee Addiction Contributing to Slave / Child Labor in Brazil?

I just came across this article from Repórter Brazil that the certified coffee plantations in Minas Gerais are using slave / child labor.

https://reporterbrasil.org.br/2023/11/s … as-gerais/

Starbucks, Nestlé, and McDonalds (all huge multinationals) are named as potential causes of those labor laws infringements.

Question:  what can be done to prevent those unlawful acts from happening?

nothing really, nestle is a cancer on this planet. you need to look up what they do globally as a company and its horrific that it still continues with no efforts to change

@Mikeflanagan, I have scratched Starbucks from my purchase list.  I am also replacing Nescafé with other ethically sourced coffee.  I have not had coffee from McDonalds in ages - so easy to replace.

Small steps....

I just came across this article from Repórter Brazil that the certified coffee plantations in Minas Gerais are using slave / child labor.
https://reporterbrasil.org.br/2023/11/s … as-gerais/

Starbucks, Nestlé, and McDonalds (all huge multinationals) are named as potential causes of those labor laws infringements.

Question:  what can be done to prevent those unlawful acts from happening?

-@Pablo888

What Flanagan has said about Nestle is accurate.  They act as a corporate criminal enterprises. Nestle, Coca Cola get water rights in communities , therefore making drinkable water scarce, so they can profit handsomely from selling bottled water or soda.

This Coffee growing chicanery comes to no surprise to me.

And Brazilian Food conglomerates are no way any better on the moral scale. Ambev, JB Foods, they are all crooks, who get breaks from corrupt governments. There are US Congressman who have tried to stop them, with no success.   

Ralph Nader has gone through this, in books and speaking engagements.  There are  subjects you can pull on his "Ralph Nader Radio Hour" on Youtube, with scant click rates.   

Not consuming their brands is one way to go.  But it will barely make a dent on their bottom line. The only other way is to start Citizen Activism.

A long time ago ,some dude from Connecticut publish a DunkinDonutsSuck dot com. Well, the folks from Dunkin Brands paid him a visit, and "bought" the domain. So this dude was bought and paid. 

The dilema with Coca Cola in Mexico is even direr.  Whole towns can't get drinking water, and folks are addicted to Coke, which tends to lead to  collective and chronic cases of diabetes.  To think Coca Cola came from a pharmacist who served soda pop from his counter, to these colections of malfesance, it's a long way. Bottling & Beverage business is a dirty business.

In Rhode island there used to be a family company that delivered milk bottles and other stuff. Christiansen. Brother and Sister operation, a few drivers, and a couple mugs at their plant. There were them and another survivor, Munroe Dairy.  The brother sister @ Christiansen let you take the bottles with no deposit, on a honor system, something completely unheard then.   

One way to avoid buying this junk is consuming fresh to cook ingredients, on Feiras Livres, or Farmer's Markets.  Some, if not most, will buy their supplies from wholesalers, yet, there are a few who grow their own stuff.  Japanese kin folk used to be like that.

Yeah, Sprealestate hit this with a nail on the head.

Wanna see something crazy - look at the list of corporations that are owned by nestle,

Even crazier, who owns the most share stocks in nestle.

lol

Welcome to the rabbit hole

Nestle = Swiss = Davos

A csncer indeed. Just came back from 6 weeks in Rio and we bought almost all our food from the weekly street market in Copa.

Yeah, Sprealestate hit this with a nail on the head.
Wanna see something crazy - look at the list of corporations that are owned by nestle,

Even crazier, who owns the most share stocks in nestle.

lol

Welcome to the rabbit hole

-@Mikeflanagan

A deep one... Welcome to the realm of branding, private labels, subsidiaries,...

One can always...

1.Use farmers markets as often as possible ( Feiras Livres )

2.Read the labels ( General Mills actually owns Kitano and Yoki, which they bought off a few years back )

3.Avoid chains and fast food enterprises.

4.Look for striped down retail store fronts. I used to have a kick of buying at Building #19, a regional chain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_19

Their ratty free coffee and the weekly circulars were a goof. ( read under "Corporate Culture" ).

5.You can't escape packaged and processed food in Brazil anymore, at least on large metro regions.  Even the local soda pop branded as "Tubaina" as of Itubaina, was later bought by the Japanese Kirin Brewery.  The country is a golden mine for processed and packaged food.

As we all type this on devices using cobalt that was mined in the Congo by kids making $2-3 a day.

Coming soon to Bolivia with lithium mining.

As we all type this on devices using cobalt that was mined in the Congo by kids making $2-3 a day.
Coming soon to Bolivia with lithium mining.

-@Gasparzinho 777

The Chilean and Bolivian lithium mining is extracted  from the brine or open salt flats.  Miles and miles of it.  Not as much labor intensive. I stand to be corrected, most of the Chilean fields are near the Atacama Desert.

And the mining culture in Bolivia transcend ages.  It's heavily unionized.  Bolivian miners used to be the best paid blue collar workers in the entire country. Arduous and dangerous work, but well paid by  local standards. 

The CIA  got rid of Evo Morales, but they won't dare to mess with labor in Bolivia. That's a big powder keg.  Part of the reason through the 80's and 90's Bolivia had a President a Year, had to do with political instability at the government. Coup after coup, strikes after strikes.