Can I get my BSN at gemeente before I move there?

I am buying a house in Limburg and plan to move there when I sign at the notary and get the keys in early March. I am currently living in another EU country.

But I order to buy the house with the 2% reduced tax rate (for residents), I need to give the notary a BSN number before I move there.

I have made an appointment to get a BSN next week at the gemeente where the house is located. I will bring them the purchase agreement (koopovereenkomst), but it states that I will only become owner from early March (once the overdracht is signed at the notary).

My question is: can the gemeente give me the BSN before I actually live there? I will be living there in just over a month from now.

As for receiving the actual BSN number, that shouldn't be a problem: I suppose that they will send the BSN to my future house, and I can ask the seller or the real estate agent to pick up the letter for me.

Not possible unless you go to gemente by your self to officially register to an address.

you will be issued the letter and number in that spot immediately

There is a possibility to receive a non resident BSN number but its irrelevant in this case, because you are moving in soon.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I didn't formulate my question in a very clear way: I meant that I am going to the gemeente in person to register to the address of the house I am buying.

In which case, do you think the gemeente will agree to give me the BSN, even though the purchase contract states that the transfer at the notary will only be in a month from now?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You will get your BSN and DigiD sent to the address you give when you register.  You don't have to register at the house you are buying in order to get your BSN, you just need an acceptable address, this can be a hotel, AirBnb, friends house wherever you are staying on that day.  It can't be a place that is not authorised for general living, so no caravans, mobile homes, industrial use buildings and you will need the written permission of the owner/landlord to register at that address.  You just notify the Gemeente when you change your address.

During your appointment, the guy behind the desk will be putting your information into the computer and on the screen, at the end, your BSN number is displayed, if they're not going to give you a document with your BSN number on it, just ask the civil servant to jot down your BSN on a piece of paper so you can go to the bank, doctor etc.

In terms of the information you have to provide, the non-resident BSN is no different to the general database, the only difference is the name of the database and not all Gemeente offer the non-resident version.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Cynic, thank you so much for the detailed answer. It answers various questions and doubts I had. I'm happy to have found this forum.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
You will get your BSN and DigiD sent to the address you give when you register.  You don't have to register at the house you are buying in order to get your BSN, you just need an acceptable address, this can be a hotel, AirBnb, friends house wherever you are staying on that day.  It can't be a place that is not authorised for general living, so no caravans, mobile homes, industrial use buildings and you will need the written permission of the owner/landlord to register at that address.  You just notify the Gemeente when you change your address.

Cynic,

I hardly comment on your posts, let alone to correct you, but this time I feel I need to do it.

You are right but I don't recommend in this case as he's going to move in a very short time to his new house he bought.

The address is already known so why adding one unnecessary extra step in the process by using any address and later change it?

To the OP:

Make an appointment and bring all the paperwork and you will be fine 😁

Congrats on your new home!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.You will get your BSN and DigiD sent to the address you give when you register.  You don't have to register at the house you are buying in order to get your BSN, you just need an acceptable address, this can be a hotel, AirBnb, friends house wherever you are staying on that day.  It can't be a place that is not authorised for general living, so no caravans, mobile homes, industrial use buildings and you will need the written permission of the owner/landlord to register at that address.  You just notify the Gemeente when you change your address.

Cynic,

I hardly comment on your posts, let alone to correct you, but this time I feel I need to do it.
You are right but I don't recommend in this case as he's going to move in a very short time to his new house he bought.
The address is already known so why adding one unnecessary extra step in the process by using any address and later change it?

To the OP:
Make an appointment and bring all the paperwork and you will be fine 😁
Congrats on your new home!

-@Primadonna

To answer your question, it's because that's how the system works.

However, I think you're probably reading too much in what I said; he hasn't bought the house and won't until March. Prospective house purchases aren't a feature of the registration system; but providing the place where he is staying up until March is recognised for registration he will get the BSN and DigiD, which will unlock all the things he wants to do in order to complete the purchase and get the discounts.

If by chance the computer has a meltdown and it allows him to register a residence that he doesn't own or have the written permission of the current owner, then all the best, there is nothing I've said that will stop that.