Cost of living comparison Hungary - Alanya

I posted in the past, I loved living in Hungary (close to Keszthely for many years) financially it worked out quite well (doubling the price in 7 years is not too bad (even we have to made some investments)), Still not too bad, one can say health, wealth and hapiness are important (very true).

We now live in Mahmutlar (close to Alanya), everything is on crawling distance (10+ restaurants (some of them we (or I) do not like), loads of supermarkets, but also a normal market I likes to visit. Also a wool shop (very cheap in comparison to Hungary)

Health insurance is expensive, but you get good (very good) service. (I had/have some issues), but the hospital (even far away) is really excellent in responsiveness and service. (anyhow I am still alive).

In Hungary I have to say not as bad as people say (but where I live is better).

For my wife the proximity of the beach (240 m) is a plus, I never go (some problems with walking (but that would be the same in Heviz (or around)).

Where we lived Heviz lake was very close (just 3 km) and this was good and a big plus (and residents can buy a card for the full year for around EUR 200 (if you go 3x per week it is VERY good)

As mentioned my health could be better, but my wife does not depend on me (transport with car, shopping, ...)

Honestly she does not depend me at all, she does most of the things.

We got our residency permit (both EU/Schengen citizens), but still tricky in Turkey. (good for 2 years)

I am very happy, if not allowed, we would have had a big, big issue.

Right now it is good and sufficient, I go my wife to a restaurant, but first to the cash machine, people (like in Hungary) like cash. We try to pay as much as we can by card, but restaurants, barber (for me), hairdresser for my wife, market, seller of bread, .. want cash.

Enough for now, differences between countries/cultures/religions.

I forgot to post the comparison I think

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c … rrency=EUR

As mentioned my health could be better, but my wife does not depend on me (transport with car, shopping, ...)
Honestly she does not depend me at all, she does most of the things.

We got our residency permit (both EU/Schengen citizens), but still tricky in Turkey. (good for 2 years)
I am very happy, if not allowed, we would have had a big, big issue.

Right now it is good and sufficient, I go my wife to a restaurant, but first to the cash machine, people (like in Hungary) like cash. We try to pay as much as we can by card, but restaurants, barber (for me), hairdresser for my wife, market, seller of bread, .. want cash.

Enough for now, differences between countries/cultures/religions.

-@cdw057

Cash has virtually disappeared in many EU countries. 

In my own (now) non-EU country, no-one is really using cash any more. It's all cards.   I like cash myself.  Once it's paid, it's paid and one doesn't need electronics with charged batteries to complete any transactions.  Cash is king.

What really annoys retailers/sellers are the card charges. Some of these card processors are charging 3%+ and that's really problematic when margins are low.  I think there has to be some reform.

As mentioned my health could be better, but my wife does not depend on me (transport with car, shopping, ...)Honestly she does not depend me at all, she does most of the things.We got our residency permit (both EU/Schengen citizens), but still tricky in Turkey. (good for 2 years)I am very happy, if not allowed, we would have had a big, big issue.Right now it is good and sufficient, I go my wife to a restaurant, but first to the cash machine, people (like in Hungary) like cash. We try to pay as much as we can by card, but restaurants, barber (for me), hairdresser for my wife, market, seller of bread, .. want cash.Enough for now, differences between countries/cultures/religions.        -@cdw057

Cash has virtually disappeared in many EU countries. 

In my own (now) non-EU country, no-one is really using cash any more. It's all cards.   I like cash myself.  Once it's paid, it's paid and one doesn't need electronics with charged batteries to complete any transactions.  Cash is king.

What really annoys retailers/sellers are the card charges. Some of these card processors are charging 3%+ and that's really problematic when margins are low.  I think there has to be some reform.

-@fluffy2560

A lot of places are going back to cash because its cheaper.

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have edited the title of this thread so that it could fit in the Hungary forum.

All the best

Bhavna