Can we buy a golf cart without residency?

We own a condo on Ambergris Caye and have been coming to Belize for over ten years. The QRP program and residency requirements require that we live in Belize a full year (minus 14 days) which seems challenging. However, we want to buy a golf cart and also not have to pay visa fees every month. i think we need more information because currently we spend a couple of months a year in Belize. Can we buy a golf cart without residency? We have a storage facility for the cart and are still considering the one year residency if there is no other way.

@elizabethinafrica

Hello and welcome on board !

Please note that I have created this new thread from your post on the Belize forum so that members can help you.

All the best

Bhavna

@Bhavna

Thank you!

" Can we buy a golf cart without residency?" Unless there"s something special about Ambergris, different than the rest of Belize, answer is yes.

"also not have to pay visa fees every month" that, good luck, lol

I'm not on la Isla bonita, but I've heard they were restricting golf cart imports bc there's so many already.

For Visa, you should be able to do a few months at a time. Still expensive.

My own experience was once I got out of tourist visa status, anything gov't got easier. E.g. licensing my vehicle at dept of Transport, the agent flat out told me he was going to give me a hard time until I showed him my SSB card, I guess bc I'm American, easy to guess from appearance and impossible to miss yet when I reveal my hardcore Midwest accent.

In country, there should be no governmental problem buying a vehicle from a local. Importing has its own complications. When I brought in my vehicle, the border agent put me on a temp import permit, suggesting I wait until my employment visa was worked out (3 months later). Of course when I came back to pay duty, they told me that was wrong and he should have let me bring it in on day 1. But he was so skeptical that I'd be getting my work permit, and maybe I missed the cue to give an incentive...

@TexItalian

THANKS!

@DnBR

Thank you.  We are looking at the QRP program and may go that route.