Buying plot in Crete with existing building permit

Hi all,

We have been looking to buy a plot of land in the Akrotiri area of Chania since last year. We have just come across an offer for a plot that already has building permit valid until the end of 2024. The problem is that it is a big house (200 sqm) and there is no way we can build such a big house, we do not have the budget. I am also not sure if we can finish building a house by the end of 2024. I have heard that you can start building and that is what counts, not when you finish. Does anyone know if we can change or modify the building project? Make it smaller?

Any information will be appreciated. Thank you very much!

@atajanovak

yes starting the building works is what counts

yes yku can build smaller (but not larger) than the permit

@PhilIpZ20201

Thank you for a prompt reply.

If I may ask, what counts as starting? Does it need to have walls?

Is there a sort of a deadline to finish the house?

That i am not sure as it is stricter than before - happy to talk live to save lots of typing  (Brit who has renovated  a  large property in Halkidiki

@atajanovak

Hi

You do not need to finish construction within 2024 and yes you can update the building permit in order to build something different than the plans (not bigger).

You must seek legal and technical support and advice before you make your decision.

Fir more information, you can check my website [link moderated]

Moderated by Bhavna 3 months ago
Reason : Links to your own website are not allowed.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Lawyer in Crete

Hello,

Thank you for your input, however, please note that posting links to your own website is not recommended. It can be viewed as advertising.

If you have any official/government website link, feel free to add it.

Thank you

Bhavna

Thank you for the info.

I was not aware of this