Job opportunities for foreigners in Vietnam

I have been reading about many interesting things about Vietnam and wish to relocate to Vietnam from Nigeria only if I am assured of getting a job (not necessarily a high class job to start up).   I am a Professional Accountant, Auditor and experienced banker who has had more than 15 years work experience. I am a vibrant and socialite humble man of early sixty, friendly and honest wit track records. I will appreciate any useful information that can assist me. Thanks

You sound like a good man with a lot of experience under your belt so this is not easy to say but unless you can speak Vietnamese quit fluently I'm pretty sure you are going to find it almost impossible to find work it your area of experience. Even if you spoke fluently, I'm afraid most companies here are going to favor locals and the pay scale here is likely to be far below what you would expect. Most of the expats here either teach English or are retired. Another thing is most people here retire at 55 so even if you manage to get past the other hurdles companies will be reluctant to employ someone at your age.  I'm sorry to be the barrer of bad news but it's better if you find out before you pack up and move here.

@drutter

Grateful for your candid advice.

@sundaybetiku

I know it probably isn't what you wanted to hear but maybe it's what you needed to hear. Eather way, I hope it helps.

Surely it gives a realistic information which bother on language and age. Thank you once again for this. I will keep following up with developments and give a deeper thought on other options which may not necessarily be Vietnam, even though it's quite appealing to me. Thanks and warmest regards.

@sundaybetiku

No problem. Happy to help. I hope you find what you're looking for.

@drutter

Will you be willing to teach me Vietnamese?

Am willing to learn.

@drutter

I read with interest your honest and candid  reply to the Nigerian gentleman with Accounting and Finance background, and who is seeking a job. I have a related question. How widespread and popular is online work? I mean are Vietnamese companies getting their work done from a foreigner residing in his/her own country ,and working online?

...are Vietnamese companies getting their work done from a foreigner residing in his/her own country ,and working online? -@nobinVIET NAM

Virtually never, at least not legally.

First, any Vietnamese employer who wants to hire a foreigner for ANY work MUST get the permission of the government.

It's not simply a matter of employer preference.

Even in the case of a temporary foreigner employee for 30 days or less, without work permit, the employer must register the worker with the government. 

Even if you could be employed here legally while working at a remote location,  it would be next to impossible for the Vietnamese employer to send money to you outside of Vietnam.

In order to be employed legally in Vietnam you need to be certified as an expert by the government. 

For many jobs, you already need to be fluent in the Vietnamese language.

Vietnam doesn't need experts in all fields.

For instance, the previous poster mentioned his experience as "a Professional Accountant, Auditor and experienced banker".

Believe me, if there's one thing Vietnam doesn't need it's people who work with numbers.

@OceanBeach92107

Is it even possible for an employer to give an employee a legal document in Vietnam even with a certified expert by the government?

I left Vietnam just 7days ago because of the fear of my visa.

I was there for about 3 months

Searching for job but the more I try, the better rejection I get

I think there's no fast or easy way to get a job in Vietnam as a foreigner unless one is coming into the country with a company invite.

Helping one to get a permit to work and stay.

I think there's no fast or easy way to get a job in Vietnam as a foreigner unless one is coming into the country with a company invite.
Helping one to get a permit to work and stay.
-@shannantehillah

EXACTLY right!

That's the essence of the reply we give time and again to people who post their inquiries here.

The only other solution is to come here on a tourist visa with the purpose of seeking employment face to face, but really, most people don't qualify for the employment they seek.

Not because they don't have the necessary experience, but because Vietnam simply does not consider that job appropriate for foreigners.

It sounds as if you have already tried 3 months here searching for work.

Hopefully you have sufficient funds to continue on to a different country where employment opportunities are better, or to return home.

It's very sad that many, many foreigners travel here without the funds to go back home or continue on to another country.

Every now and then some clueless person encourages people to just keep trying, as if character alone will get someone employed legally in Vietnam.

I hope you will cut your losses soon enough that the process won't be painful for you.

Good luck

Is it even possible for an employer to give an employee a legal document in Vietnam even with a certified expert by the government?

-@shannantehillah

Sure it is, but the process of getting all of your supporting documents legalized prior to submission to the government is more difficult here.

Much easier to do all of the notarizations and apostilles necessary in your home country and then submit all of your qualifying paperwork to the Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam in your country.

Once the embassy or consulate fully certifies your dossier, it is stored electronically with the Vietnam foreign service and can be accessed by prospective employers in Vietnam when they want to apply for permission to hire you and then subsequently get a work permit for you.

unfortunately there are a lot of scam employers in Vietnam who will tell you it's okay to start working for them and they will begin the paperwork process, but then they never do it and it's time for you to leave on your 3 month visa expiration, and that's just fine with them because it's part of their illegal business plan.

if you do decide to go back to them on a new visa they will just start the whole scam over again.

This way many foreigners end up working here illegally, figuring that if they can get money in cash under the table, they will be resigned to doing a Visa border run every 90 days and remain a tourist working illegally.

@OceanBeach92107

I am nolonger in Vietnam for no Job search because they've nothing to offer

That's my point

@OceanBeach92107
I am nolonger in Vietnam for no Job search because they've nothing to offer
That's my point

-@shannantehillah

Good luck with your pointless Tiếng Việt lessons then...

@OceanBeach92107

1f603.svg1f600.svg1f60e.svg