Waste Management in Malta

Hello everyone,

As an expat in Malta, waste management can often pose challenges and requires an understanding of local standards and regulations. Understanding local practices is essential for environmental compliance and seamless integration into daily life.

Here are some points to share your experience:

How can you learn about waste management in Malta (types of waste collected, sorting, collection days, recycling, bulky items, etc.)? Do local authorities provide information on waste management to newcomers?

What are the main differences you've noticed compared to your home country in terms of waste management? How have you adapted?

Are there recycling programs, composting initiatives, or other eco-friendly alternatives to reduce waste in Malta? What personal initiatives can be implemented?

How are hazardous waste items such as batteries, household chemicals, or electronic equipment managed?

What actions are taken to encourage compliance with regulations (rewards, penalties, taxes, etc.)?

If you have any other relevant information to share about waste management, please do not hesitate!

Thank you for your contribution.

The Expat.com Team

1. What are the main differences you've noticed compared to your home country in terms of waste management? How have you adapted?

When people move to Vancouver, there are expectations regarding waste management and ‘generally' everyone abides by the rules. Otherwise, local citizens will complain as there are bylaws for such things.  Thus far, I have noticed that the Government does not follow through on anything. If the gov't does care, why should anyone else?

I have been coming to Malta since the 1960s. Malta used to be a very clean country. Garbage was put in bins, or kept until there was a place to throw it away. Dog poop was never left on the ground. It is up to the Maltese Government to set up opportunities for people to find garbage cans ‘everywhere'. And ex-pats must understand that ‘when in Rome, do as the Romans'. However, the problem has almost past the point of no return. But the question is Who is responsible for waste management? 

How are hazardous waste items such as batteries, household chemicals, or electronic equipment managed? 

What actions are taken to encourage compliance with regulations (rewards, penalties, taxes, etc.)? I have seen signs to keep Malta Clean, but the signs are not read, and there is no follow-up from the Gov't to ensure that Malta is kept clean.

If you have any other relevant information to share about waste management, please do not hesitate!

CCTV cameras need to be installed and the government needs to act and follow through on dealing with the problem. I want to feel proud of the country my parents were born in, but right now it is not how I feel. And in the last six months, there isn't one person I have spoken to who feels good about the filth that continues to accumulate in Malta.

While wealthy people may flock here to stay in fancy hotels, they will never return because the outside is disgraceful compared to the elegance in the hotels. 

Thank you for your contribution. 

The Expat.com Team

Compared to the Uk we have household waste collected every day except Sunday.

Three times a week we have food waste collected, recycling once a week and the other two days black bags which other items can go in.  With regards electronic items you can take them  to the recycling centre or to the lorry which comes round once a month.

Batteries can be taken to the centre or to Lidls who have a container for them.

Unfortunately a lot of the properties on Gozo are holiday lets and therefore the people staying in the, dont seem to be aware of what to do with their rubbish and it ends up all

over the place with bags ripped by cats after the food.