Free and fair elections?

According to most, apart from some minor naughtiness and a few cock ups that would have no real effect on the results, the election was pretty much free and fair.

Only a fool would deny there was some jiggery-pokery going on, but it appears to have been pretty minor.

Is the Jakarta post doing its best to destabilise the results and sow doubt - or is it just good journalism?

https://www.thejakartapost.com/opinion/ … -rise.html

Some experts say the drastic increase in the PSI's votes contradicts the quick counts by various credible pollsters, which projected that the party had won less than 3 percent of the vote.

It fails to identify who the 'some experts' are, and appears to be saying the elections commission (KPU) is in some way part of the alleged "allegations of rampant fraud" the public is supposed to be concerned about.

I would invite the Jakarta post to identify the "Some experts" by name, and produce serious evidence of fraud (That would alter the election result in any significant way) they can prove.

That paper is running a lot of stories that appear to be questioning the election, but none appear  to have anything as solid as evidence.

It strikes me, if you are printing stuff that has even vaguely accuses anyone, or has any potential to (in even the slightest way) destabilise Indonesia, they should put up serious evidence or shut up and apologise to the KPU, PSI, and the Indonesian people in general.

Completely agree Fred!

This is also a funny part of the article:

The government, the KPU and Bawaslu share the responsibility to disprove the allegations of fraud in a transparent and credible manner.

😉

Completely agree Fred!
This is also a funny part of the article:
The government, the KPU and Bawaslu share the responsibility to disprove the allegations of fraud in a transparent and credible manner.

😉

-@Erik_S

In my most humble of opinions, the Jakarta post and others should shut their faces until they can prove something with solid evidence, and apologise if they can't produce any.

This brings to mind the pieces many papers ran about the US National Endowment for Democracy (CIA front) attempting to put a puppet leader in power.

I'm not saying the Post is guilty of being part of anything like that, but they do need to put up their evidence.

However, my long experience of reading newspapers suggests quoting people they are unable to name means the story is a load of old crap.

Let's have the names so we can see who these people are.

@Fred

Is the Jakarta post doing its best to destabilise the results and sow doubt - or is it just good journalism

I've always enjoyed reading the Post over the years whenever I am in town. There is something reassuring about the historical colonial integrity of reading this paper during petit dejeuner at my hotel. It has some quirky articles and photographs of day to day life in the city which no online vlog or guide can replicate.

Sadly the hard copy is no longer available.

Perhaps Fred you should give it the nomenclature ' The Jakarta Mail'. Would that make you feel better?😉

@Fred

Perhaps Fred you should give it the nomenclature ' The Jakarta Mail'. Would that make you feel better?😉

-@Lotus Eater

I don't read the post as much as I used to. Their political bent became obvious from the last Prabowo/Jokowi contest. Much as I agreed with a lot of their position at that point, it signalled a change I didn't like.

Now they seem to be printing everything they can that the International Republican Institute would love them to. Not that I'm accusing them of anything, but they are running stories that have a weak potential to create political instability and, most notably, most other papers aren't carrying those pieces or anything like them.

If these stories were everywhere, they would be worth considering, but they aren't

As for the Mail - OUCH!

In my most humble of opinions, the link below provides a very good reason for foreign interference and an attempt to destroy a democratic election

https://en.antaranews.com/news/307917/b … lated_news

https://wartakota.tribunnews.com/2024/0 … elah-kalah

It seems the losing  teams want to remove the 60% winning candidate and rerun the election without him.

It strikes me they aren't all that interested in democracy because, if they win, the will of the vast majority od Indonesians has to be set aside.

The vote appears to be pretty clean (with some naughtiness that isn't even close to enough to change the result), so the people have spoken.

As for the mass fraud, nobody seems to  be able to detail it.

The few polling stations I saw, and the station tabulation I witnessed personally, appeared free and fair. Most were in very camp 2 areas, but the one in my home area has many Ganjar supporters. He was a pretty close second, but Anies was nowhere. I can't remember exactly how many votes he got, but it was around 10 out of hundreds.

Frankly, with such a massive win, there's nothing for the other two camps to complain about.

60% of voting Indonesians have clearly said the losers' moans don't matter.

@Fred Free and fair elections in Indonesia—no way, sir. So, people's votes have no value. Maybe in the future, it will be possible...

I have to take the opposite view.

The polling station I voted at was strictly controlled, as was the count I watched at a station near my home.

I have heard reports of cash for votes, and it's pretty much guaranteed there were some dodgy deals going on, but not even close enough to change the outcome.

Do you have evidence for your assertion?

Whether there was jiggery pokery or not in this election I just hope that Indonesians know who or what they were voting for.

Whether there was jiggery pokery or not in this election I just hope that Indonesians know who or what they were voting for.        -@Lotus Eater

This presidency will be interesting, but hopefully not in a Chinese curse sort of way.

Indonesia is facing geopolitical threats rather than internal issues, so a strong leader is required.

Anies is not my cup of tea and, if I'm being honest, I would like to ask him why so many of his activities were close to the CIA.

I liked Ganjar but he seemed to be looking around the room for help in the presidential debates. That's not what Indonesia is in need of at the moment.

I've lost respect for the pair of them now as, much as they may have some valid points to make, they are asking the majority of Indonesians to be denied the president they voted for.

THIS is what set me looking at number 1. The first question I would ask him is, "why does the CIA need to be involved in a visa application?"

5.  (SBU) Jakarta/CONS has already requested expedited
clearance by email to CA/VO/L/C which further explained the
importance of Dr. Baswedan in furthering U.S. foreign policy
objectives in Indonesia. Mission seeks a response to this
request as quickly as possible.  Without immediate action
that results in Dr. Baswedan's visa clearance, this is a
crisis foretold, and will prove to be a serious embarrassment
for the U.S. and damaging to our interests.

https://jakartaglobe.id/news/ganjar-wan … on-dispute

This smacks of desperation.

It seems team Ganjar is accusing the cops of election interference.

I saw a good few polling stations, but not a lot of coppers.

Then you have to look at the common interservice rivalry between the police and military - I can't see the police actively pushing for an ex-military commander.

It seems like pie in the sky, tin foil hat, way out there with the fairies stuff - Time will tell.

@Fred

Perhaps some of those pesky Daily Mail reporters have infiltrated the Globe :)

@Fred
Perhaps some of those pesky Daily Mail reporters have infiltrated the Globe smile.png-@Lotus Eater

Nobody here would have that bunch 1f923.svg