Geoblue Health Insurance

I have BCBS through my retirement benefits.  When I called to let them know I was moving to Portugal, they said my plan would change to GeoBlue.  I'm not at all familiar with that name.  Does anyone here use GeoBlue?  Is it any good?  My understanding is that for most visits, I would pay the provider out of pocket and then file a claim with GeoBlue.

I'm just trying to determine if I need to purchase a health insurance plan when I get there or if GeoBlue would be okay to keep.

Thank you.

Hi Jim,

Some info here:

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/ … ntryId=144

(Select city, right side, maybe health providers available there that accept this insurance)

@Jim Garrison

Jim- I have no specific knowledge of Geo blue. However, as a physician who has practiced in the US for 35 years, I can unequally state that I would never trust a US health insurance company. The reasons for this are two numerous and varied. Suffice to say, they will gladly accept your premiums but will make every effort to  thwart payment/reimbursement.

Private health insurance is quite cheap compared to US standards and is less than €80 a month, even for people in their 70s.

Good Luck!

Hi Jim,

I realise you're not allowed to advertise but can you tell me where you get/ found your private health insurance and does that include repatriation?

My husband (61) and myself (54) can't find a basic cover (NOT including dental) for less than €3850 for a couple.

Also, when we die, neither if us are bothered about being buried/cremated in the U.K.  Does anyone know if we can be buried/cremated in Portugal and if we can and ensure we have a plan in place, would there still be a need for our health insurance to include repatriation?

Thanks,

Diane.

@Diane,

Ask your questions at a funeral establishment. I suggest Servilusa. Unfortunately, I called on them and realised that they are very competent.

They have funeral plans in Life.

https://funeralvida.servilusa.pt/

Thank you,

I'll see if there is one near us.

Appreciated,

Dx

@Jim,

Private Healthcare System in Portugal

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=914196

Try MGen health insurance. It is a good option for +70s.

Thank you, I will. I am 54 and my husband is 61.... Don't know if that makes a difference. The ones I've tried even this afternoon are the most basic starting at £400+ a month!!!

My hubby and I haven't seen / spoke with a doctor in over 10 years. We both wear glasses and see the dentist regularly (I'm lucky to have good strong teeth but by hubby has limited teeth but not yet using dentures, but we still get check ups every 9 months) so. F we are fortunate  enough to remain in our usual state of health then we are more likely to need eyes and teeth more often in the next 5 years, yet we haven't even considered adding dental or an optician to the health insurance.... Seriously, who has £400+ every month for something they hope not to need, surely that's just too much- I DO understand that everyone hopes not to need to use it etc but that's more than car insurance for a year and everyone hopes they don't need that but you're glad you have for peace of mind!

Surely there is another option?

Dx

I found this in an informative article, but I can't find ANY company boffering anything remotely close:

"Average Cost of Health Insurance in Portugal

How much is health insurance? Private insurance in Portugal is generally quite cheap. This could cost between 20 and 50 EUR (22–55 USD) a month, depending on your age and the extent of your coverage. This means you can pay anywhere between 400 EUR (440 USD) a year for a basic plan and 1,000 EUR (1,100 USD) yearly for a more well-rounded coverage"

Average%20Cost%20of%20Health%20Insurance%20in%20Portugal%20%20How%20much%20is%20health%20insurance?%20Private%20insurance%20in%20Portugal%20is%20generally%20quite%20cheap.%20This%20could%20cost%20between%2020%20and%2050%20EUR%20(22%E2%80%9355%20USD)%20a%20month,%20depending%20on%20your%20age%20and%20the%20extent%20of%20your%20coverage.%20This%20means%20you%20can%20pay%20anywhere%20between%20400%20EUR%20(440%20USD)%20a%20year%20for%20a%20basic%20plan%20and%201,000%20EUR%20(1,100%20USD)%20yearly%20for%20a%20more%20well-rounded%20coverage.
    Thank you, I will. I am 54 and my husband is 61.... Don't know if that makes a difference. The ones I've tried even this afternoon are the most basic starting at £400+ a month!!!
My hubby and I haven't seen / spoke with a doctor in over 10 years. We both wear glasses and see the dentist regularly (I'm lucky to have good strong teeth but by hubby has limited teeth but not yet using dentures, but we still get check ups every 9 months) so. IF we are fortunate  enough to remain in our usual state of health then we are more likely to need eyes and teeth more often in the next 5 years, yet we haven't even considered adding dental or an optician to the health insurance.... Seriously, who has £400+ every month for something they hope not to need, surely that's just too much- I DO understand that everyone hopes not to need to use it etc but that's more than car insurance for a year and everyone hopes they don't need that but you're glad you have for peace of mind!
Surely there is another option?
Dx

-@fotheringhamdiane

I did spend some time last year in Portugal and have the same information. Only one thing I learn that some providers in Portugal can do the paper work for you if they have stablished this; otherwise as you stated that you have to pay and them file for re-imbruement

Hello. i am a US expat here in Portugal and I have GeoBlue. GeoBlue is the international insurance arm of BlueCross. Blue Cross only provides coverage in the US, which is why they are switching you.

I have been very happy with them. You can check their online directory, and if they have agreements with the facility you are going to, you contact them in advance and they usually will do direct billing/payment. (for example, here in the Algarve they have agreements with many Doctors and facilities within the Groupo HPA network).

Be aware: you DO have to get the letter from GeoBlue and take it with you to the doctor when you go, if you want them do do this direct bill though… in my experience, the facilities here in the Algarve do not have a clue who GeoBlue is (even if they are listed as a partner facility)  so they will typically not have any agreement information in the local offices/facilities - they only have local Portuguese private insurances in their system. I have successfully given them the pre-pay agreement letter that GB mailed me, and got the direct bill, but sometimes its a bridge a bit too far, and I simply can't make the direct bill work, so I just end up paying for it and get reimbursed.

i have also successfully just paid out of pocket (medical is not even close to the cost it is in the US, so its really never been a burden) and submitted my receipts online to GB. They have been excellent about timely review and reimbursement of my bills within the rules of my specific plan, and I get the reimbursement direct deposited in my bank. I tell them if I want reimbursement in € or $, they do the conversion and boom. the arrives.

Also, you are not limited to any specific facility or doctor if you do the reimbursement route.  If the facility is not in their directory network as a partner that does direct bill, not a problem. it's not at all like the US where they will only cover facilities/doctors in their network. As far as GB is concerned, it is my understanding that pretty much any doctor/facility outside of the US is considered in-network. I would call them to confirm this has not changed, but I have not encountered a single rejection from them when using it abroad, and also do not need prior approval to go to anyone I choose. Your plan may or may not have this same coverage.

I have had them for 3 years, and also pay (through the nose) for their coverage on the US—be aware, you wont be able to have ACA insurance in the US if you have an international insurance plan (I cannot speak for Medicare).  In the US, you must go to a GB network doc/facility - and it is possible that your current docs/clinics are NOT covered. BCBS networks are different for different plans. They do direct bill to the US in-network facilities though. Another good thing about GB is that they allow me to be in the US up to 9 months a year. Every other company I looked at only allows you to be in the US for 6 months in a 12 month period.

I hope this helps… It has been awhile since you posted, but if it doesn't help you, then hopefully it will help someone else.

@JellyB6684

We are Interested in the GeoBlue Insurance that you have and planning on coming over in late July for about a month to do some scouting for best places to re-locate to. Could you please provide me some contact information for the GB insurance?

Thanks,

Donna and Larry Miller

Oklahoma

Hello Larry,

The GeoBlue Insurance Broker that I have worked with is *** from International Insurance. i will DM his contact info.

He deals with several international insurance companies and can get you quotes for your specific situation. the companies he deal with are large A+ rated companies.

However, If you are just taking a short scouting trip,, you do not not want to switch your regular US ACA insurance. you need to keep your ACA insurance in place until you actually move out of the US. This is for several reasons, but the number one reason is if you drop your regular US insurance, you cannot get it back when you return to the US, until open enrollment, which would leave you without any coverage when back home.

Instead you just need short term travel insurance, This type of policy does not cover you in the US, and instead only covers you when anywhere outside the US for short periods of time (usually up to 6 months to one year only).

GeoBlue offers this travel product as well, and I was happy with them when I used them for travel, but then moved to a state where it was no longer available to me due to state regulations. I then switched to SafetyWing—which only offers travel insurance—and was happy with them as well.

*** can tell you if you are able to get GeoBlue travel insurance and the SafetyWing website will give you quotes and eligibility.

Once you are actually ready to move out of the country, then you would switch from your regular US insurance to GeoBlue International insurance or another primary international insurance plan.

i hope this helps.

colette

Moderated by Bhavna 3 months ago
Reason : Please dm his name
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct