Car! Spain! Student Visa!

So I am having a hard time discovering this on Google. Coming to Alicante on a student visa for six months, hopefully transitioning to a work visa after. Ideally I would like to drive. But, how long can I keep my car there as a student? I'm sorting out a TIE as part of student visa but don't know what that means for my car. Can't afford to buy one when I am out there.

@DWF002 I bought my car from France as it was only 4 years old, it took 2 months to import, 8 visits to various government offices, plus the number plates and a control for the road, if you are coming from the UK you will need lights, unless you speak Spanish I would try and get one here, get a copy of your no claims bonus, I've if you are with AXA they might transfer it if you use AXA Spain. I think it was between 300+400 euros plus you will need a certificate of conformity if you have an awkward person processing your import. I wouldn't do it again.

@DWF002

You're right! It's an issue! What can we do?! :-)

Once you're a resident, the clock is ticking to re-register your vehicle and get a Spanish driving license. Certainly, no problem to take your car over for a few weeks. But I'm not sure if you've got 3 months or 6 months or even longer. I reckon driving license is 6 months. Probably the car is the same. This would cover you for the studying, but not for ongoing residence.

Thank you. Don't suppose you know the estimated cost of re-registering my car over there?

@DWF002

Hmmm... I reckon it's not so much the cost as the time/aggravation that you take on. I'd be hesitant unless it's a fancy car and you're planning on hanging around in Spain indefinitely.

I reckon the cost of the registration process might be a grand give-or-take. But you also have to factor in the cost of changing the headlights (which can be pricey, especially for a fancy car). And non-EU vehicles are subject to VAT and import duties when imported/registered. You're exempt from this if you can get all your paperwork in order to claim a ToR (Transfer of Residence).

Some info here

https://vehicleregistrationscostadelsol … -in-spain/

@compel Thank you for the advice. It does sound complicated. But, possibly cheaper than buying one out there? I was thinking of driving over in the car, settling in for a couple of months and then begin the process of registering rather than doing it in advance?