SCHOOL AND EDUCATION, SAL ISLAND, CAPE VERDE

Dear expats in Cape Verde, or anyone who is thinking about relocating here, I am Gloria and I have been living here since 2015 with my family: Danish husband and two children, born in 2016 and 2018. In Sal, coming alone, just with my husband and newborn child, I immediately felt like a do-it-yourself mother and all rounder on the island, without parents support associations, neither help from family members....other than the social circle that I have tried to build little by little over the years later on.Education is a topic that is very dear to me: I have tried different kindergartens and summer camps in Europe and everything I could possibly try here in Sal, but here in Cape Verde my children had the greatest difficulties. I can finally say that only this year with a teacher of European training and nationality in Murdeira, EIS, that I was able to see a substantial difference in the methods. For kindergarten, although there is minimal training in Cape Verde for assistants, the methods are different, and you need to be able to understand and accept them. Which I have never 100% done, always trying to criticize for improvement with ideas where I could, and preferring part-time attendance for the children till age of 5. In a country where the outdoors should be implicit, I was surprised to observe how little space was dedicated to learning and free play outdoors in adequate spaces, and teachers with "Montessori" training, not really implementing that. The programs are not very focused on aspects of sociality, besides you will hear the term "punishment" (castigo) almost daily, where they do not know other techniques of positive psychology, or dialogue to intervene when a child is misbehaving. It's a big lack. You feel you are 50 years behind. Obviously teachers are not always the same and the experience was not totally negative, but overall, except this current year, I have not been satisfied. Pre-schooler level is also not really taken much in consideration: without stimulation and work home, my eldest son would have not had the minimum literacy and numeracy skills expected at same age level in EU. This is not to discourage any parents while relocating, but I think sharing my own experience could help you, realising that the educational system is different, so you do not come with different expectations. On the other side I would underline that living at the ocean, so close to the beach and being able to meet kids from all over, speaking different languages, enjoying the outdoor sports, away from traffic and pollution, it is a privilege. Furthermore in Murdeira school kids are never in big noisy classes, but the differences are taken care of and every child can thrive, because he/she will receive for sure more attention and help. On a daily journal the teachers can communicate with parents and it is very easy to just pop up at school and have a quick chat with them. In primary classes, at the beginning I thought that a multilevel class was not that great. However later on, considering the number of students, and the fact that there is a collaborative way of learning, I realised that this system can benefit both faster and slower learners, when the difficulty of the activity can be adapted on the child level within a different age group in the class. The teacher is also supported by an assistant which is also a positive fact: she can offer support repeating concepts, doing exercises in the afternoon, and help in case there is need for replacement. This year 2023/2024 Murdeira EIS school, sent out an homologation request also for the kinder-garden, as well as the possibility to become examination centre for English and French exams and referral center on the island for language courses. There is a lack in fact on the island of qualified teachers and many end up in improvised courses, which often turns out to be a waste of time. This is the reason why EIS would need your help too, if you hold a relevant degree for the role, please send your job application or ask for an online meeting. I am personally helping as volunteer organising extra classes activities, holiday activities and providing information on the school on the web. There is no much advertising and since the school is only financed by the fees the parents pay, there is always need for extra help :) volunteers are always welcome!  I will regularly post on the topic if there is interest, but please refer to the website https://www.eis-capvert.com and to the instagram and fb page Ecole internationale Sal Eis. I hope this post can help and I am here to be able to keep the conversation alive. Gloria

@Gloria Dalc

Hello Gloria,

Thank you for the information.

The school can perhaps post an advert in the Jobs section so that interested and qualified candidates can apply : https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/africa/cape-verde/

All the best

Bhavna

Thanks Bhavna! This is very useful!

@Gloria Dalc

Hi I may know of some people who are wuali