Travel while waiting for new residence card

My Portugal residence card expired on 15th March 2024. I did my AIMA renewal appointment on 1st March 2024. They said the new card will take 90 days to arrive. My question is, can I travel to Spain and back to Portugal with my passport and receipt from AIMA to say I have applied for renewal? Obviously I can also show the Spanish authorities my expired card. My concern is that Spain would normally need a Schengen visa from me if I did not have my Portugal residence card

Good luck with 90 days! My appointment was over 5 months ago and no card. Supposed to be better than SEF but...

You may not have your passport checked travelling to/from Spain, especially by road...however...I wouldn't chance travelling to Spain without a valid Schengen Visa.

My partner's Schengen Visa expires mid April, and although we have an interview in a couple of weeks, and that I understand she can remain in Portugal until end of June independent of the outcome, we are making no plans to travel outside the country until she has any visa or an extension issued.

@bobinportugal22 thanks but that doesn't answer my question

@slugsurmamates thanks. Does she already have her first residency card? i already had my residency for two years so I am just talking about a renewal, which AIMA already confirmed is being processed.  Theoretically since i have been a resident and just waiting for my new resident card I should not need a Schengen visa to go to other EU countries. i am looking for someone at the renewal stage of residency and what their experience has been travelling in the EU whilst waiting for a new card

@bobinportugal22 have you received your card yet am 135 days in and no card ?

@nimrod_1976 no I have not. Note no one has actually answered my original question suggesting no one has tried travelling?

@Paglaom well I should be able to update in about 12 days as i have had to travel back to UK for family reasons and will be returning to Portugal soon with my AIMA receipt and Attestado de Residencia lets see if i get back in ok.

@nimrod_1976 great thanks. I think the bigger worry is whether the authorities in the UK will let you on the plane. From what I have read some airlines are not allowing passengers to board. The problem is not so much the getting back into Portugal. Anyway good luck and I look forward to hearing your experiences

@Paglaom I have never had any checks when leaving UK airports unless something new has been implemented I only ever show my passport at security when going through bag check, so will see.

@nimrod_1976 yes maybe not from UK but there are lots of other places people want to travel. I was told by TAP at the airport to categorically not try to do this when I wanted to go to Brazil. They said there is a real risk of Brazilian authorities not letting me on the plane. I think that is the problem. There are so many anecdotal stories and conflicting information and no one knows what the answer is. Nor will AIMA put out any official statement. I even wrote to the mayor of Lisbon asking him how can Lisbon be the capital of innovation for 2024 when people cannot even travel for business because of this issue. He replied that he is aware of the problem but can do nothing as it is a federal not municipal problem. Incidentally if you have a UK passport it may be less of a problem but for people with non EU/UK passports it is really a nightmare

@Paglaom well I hope you can successfully travel back to Brazil and keep me posted my fingers are crossed for you.

No we gave up on the Brazil trip. The risk was too great of getting stranded in Brazil. We have a June trip coming up first to Turkey and then to the Philippines so same dilemma. We are probably just going to go for it mainly because we are just so sick of all the BS with the residence cards. Will indeed keep you posted.

@Paglaom I hope you are well ? I can confirm I travelled back from the UK this wknd with my D8 digital nomad visa receipt and my attestado de residencia with my UK passport, I did not have any problems going through immigration at Faro airport might just be useful for other people who are worried about travelling who also have not yet received there Residencia Card.

@nimrod_1976 great many thanks for the update. Much appreciated