Bringing 30 day supply of restricted medicine

hello all 😀

've been taking it 40 years.

I have a letter from my doctor and will have my medicine.

Will I have any issues?  It was originally to address what they thought were seizures. I have not found a list of restricted medicines it just says “some” types.

if I do have any problem with customs where would I go to resolve it? I want zero trouble and feel I need to ask the pros. 10 days will not work since I'm there for 30 and do not need withdrawal while enjoying my stay.

kindly please advise.

lastly should I put it in checked or have it handy? 🙏

-@TwinlessTwin

Never put ANY medication in checked baggage.

Best is to either carry a small extra bag for anything "medical" including prescription meds (airlines won't count that against carry-on items) OR, carry the pill bottle in your pocket and put it in the tray provided by security for your change and other items when you are going through screening.

I did that twice with an Rx bottle of Ritalin and never encountered any problems when arriving (once in Hanoi and once at SGN).

Also, I've never had any problem bringing more than a 10 days supply of any prescriptions (even though the law clearly states that to be the limit).

I've brought a 180 days supply of Metformin, a 90 day supply of Jardiance and a 180 day supply of Lasix along with 4 inhalers and vitamins/supplements in my medical bag and never been questioned about any of that.

Good luck!

hello all 😀 've been taking it 40 years. I have a letter from my doctor and will have my medicine.

Hi again.

I had written the following to a member, on a different thread,

'If you are bringing medication(s) with you, ensure that they are in their original packaging, and if required a copy of a doctor's prescription. Even with a prescription, there are some medications which will be prohibited (eg. medical cannabis, certain antihistamines, ADHD and OCD medications) from being allowed through customs. If in doubt, and if this applies to you or any future reader of this thread, do your own research on any meds you might bring with you.'

Will I have any issues?  It was originally to address what they thought were seizures. I have not found a list of restricted medicines it just says “some” types.

From the website of LawNet Vietnam, see Drugs subject to special control in Vietnam (Link)

That page does not give a list of generic or drug trade names but I'm thinking that you'd likely be able to identify your medication from the info there.

if I do have any problem with customs where would I go to resolve it? I want zero trouble and feel I need to ask the pros. 10 days will not work since I'm there for 30 and do not need withdrawal while enjoying my stay. kindly please advise.

From the Vietnam Embassy in Australia, Bringing Medication into Viet Nam (Link), of particular interest to you would be item #3.

"If you need to use more than 7 days with narcotic medication drugs, 10 days with psychotropic medication drugs or medication containing precursors used as drugs, you can make a declaration at the Viet Nam's customs of the port of entry where you will enter with your itinerary, proof of necessary (from doctors). The customs will decide to let you bring in or not. You can contact a hospital in Viet Nam before your travel to know if they can supply medications for you."

(emphasis mine)

lastly should I put it in checked or have it handy? 🙏        -@TwinlessTwin

Me? I'd put it in my checked baggage. Don't forget to declare it. Don't wait to be asked. Have the doctor's prescription, doctor's letter (if possible), and any other information regarding your medication ready in its own separate envelope. No need, at this point, to present it with your eVisa to the officer processing your clearance.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Please let us know how you navigate your way through this. It will be of definite interest to members of the expat.com community and casual readers of the forum, alike.

p.s. how did you make out with your travel date change to May5th? Change flights, or new eVisa application?

Thank you and I apologize if threads like this have been redundant. I have purchased travel insurance in case any medical emergency should arise. My doctor is from Vietnam and handling it from here on out.

Your advice has been a huge help.

@Aidan in HCMC

I had no problems. Wishing I'd have found this forum sooner.

hello all 😀
've been taking it 40 years.

I have a letter from my doctor and will have my medicine.

if I do have any problem with customs where would I go to resolve it? I want zero trouble and feel I need to ask the pros. 10 days will not work since I'm there for 30 and do not need withdrawal while enjoying my stay.

kindly please advise.

-@TwinlessTwin

Hi Mac,

Would you mind following up here and telling everyone about how you specifically handled the controlled medication issue and any problems you might have encountered?

This is a subject that is frequently broached here in the forum, so it's virtually certain that many people who search the thread we'll find your input to be invaluable.

Cheers!

O.B.