Electric scooters/bikes with seats

Hi all,

A local friend has just bought a 2kw electric bike that has two seats. He and his wife were just stopped by the local police who said the bike needs to be registered and insured but after some wrangling the officer let them go but said he must not use it again without the correct papers.

Does anyone know the rules re these things as he understood that only bikes of 3 kw needed proper registration docs, any guidance would be welcomed as I was considering such a thing also, ideal for nipping down to the beach etc..

thanks Ozzy

Hi Ozzy,

This was published November 2023.  The site is actually German, but it's the only detailed site I can find and lists most European / EU countries.

It would appear that  scooters that are limited to a maximum speed of 25km/h are not licensed, or insurable, However, it does tell you what you can be fined for and the relevant fines.

It does actually say you don't need insurance for anything that doesn't go faster than 25km/h.

That said, the scooter you're talking about, I suspect, can reach speeds of 45km/h, which, indeed, would require insurance.

As for the relevant laws that apply to 25km/h scooters, such as where you can ride them, lighting regulations, helmets, required minimum age limits and alcohol levels, these will probably apply to larger scooters too, but with additional laws.  I'll continue searching for mire info, but in the meantime, this is the link...

https://www.evz.de/en/reisen-verkehr/e- … urope.html

I've also found this, but it's not very specific on KW rating and speed, other than there's a 25km/h limit.

The fines can be quite heavy. Whilst I don't condone breaking the law, I don't think the law is at all clear and I have my doubts as to whether those police could enforce insurance.   They can certainly enforce speed limits, age of rider, wearing a helmet and lighting, but insurance, i doubt it.

I frequently see riders flouting laws - no lights, obviously speeding, riding in parks, on pavements etc., nobody appears to stop them, so I think the liklihood of getting stopped is small, particularly if you stick to cycle ways and back roads.  I would also add that if you do get stopped and the police intend to fine you, that bribery here is very common.  My wife got off with speeding, by bunging the two officers 50 Leva, instead of a 400 Leva fine.

https://m.novinite.com/articles/224419/ … ter+Riders

Hi thanks for this info, sadly this refers to scooters whereas i think as this has two seats and no means of secondary propulsion will be classed as an electric motorbike and not a bike either which i suspect will need the correct documents. i agree that the bike can go faster than 25km/h and is not restricted so the police may have a point.

i suggest he speaks to the local kat office in dobrich and see what they say.

rgds

ozzy

You might try talking to these guys: ofer(dot)bg - they're the only company I'm aware of here which manufacture powerful electric bikes (standard models up to 10kw and up to 25kw to order, iirc) They're very helpful and probably can advise you about the legal aspects.

@JimJ

That's a very interesting link, thank you! They look a bit expensive, but the electric enduro bikes (road-legal, it appears) are an unusual option. For an ebike (or escooter), I'd probably stick to AliExpress, but these enduro bikes might be a different kettle of fish. These guys are up in my neck of the woods (Kazanlak) and I recognize my local (Balkan) mountains in a couple of their pictures. They also do free test rides, so I think next time I'm at our house I will go check 'em out.

@gwynj

They're a friendly couple of guys, and they speak English; they're on Facebook, so you can use Messenger to chat with them.  Personally, I'd be inclined to buy an ebike from them, if only because they use Bulgarian-made bicycles and convert them to the spec you want; they offer a decent warranty, so there's no hassle in that respect.  I've read too many stories of Chinese ebikes breaking down (and breaking up!) with no support or warranty service forthcoming when you need it most.  I'd rather pay a bit more and have someone in the same country helping me with any after-sales problem but "horses for courses"... 1f642.svg

Oh, interesting! I have a vestibular problem and can't do bikes, and once we move here I really want an off-road electric trike so I can get up to our other half acre and go to the nearby lake. Jorvik in the UK do a very nice £££ trike, but the cost of getting one into Bulgaria would be ridiculous.

One to bookmark for later!

Oh, interesting! I have a vestibular problem and can't do bikes, and once we move here I really want an off-road electric trike so I can get up to our other half acre and go to the nearby lake. Jorvik in the UK do a very nice £££ trike, but the cost of getting one into Bulgaria would be ridiculous.
One to bookmark for later!

-@janemulberry

E-trikes with two wheels at the front (often called "reverse e-trikes") are better for off-road (and everyday) use, as they're more stable and more manoeuvrable than the single front wheel versions.  Check 'em out..... 1f60e.svg

I will. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Ozzy183a

And take a handful of Leva with you***

Moderated by Bhavna 5 months ago
Reason : broken link
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@mutley

Too right, the police have been waiting for him down his road in order to catch him using it without the correct  papers, i will update you when they speak to Kat office.